Author Topic: What's on the menu?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
What's on the menu?
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »
In regards to menus at taverns, inns, Restaurants, and their ilk. What is usually found on the menu. I usually use the dark/middle ages for references but unfortunately I have never been able to find much. A book I have "The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England" has a menu in it for a royal meal, but it is only one "full course" meal. Does anyone know of a link out there that shows or even approximates what different peoples ate out there and what may have been on the various menus of different level establishments?

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What's on the menu?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »
I have looked long and hard for this, I even asked a few university professors, and found nothing.

As a note, a restaurant IS actually a meal, not an establishment. It's a meal meant to restore one's vitality, so it says. They apparently serve at public bathes. It was some type of stew. The one recipe I did find did not look very appetizing.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
I tend to go by the local geography. You'll find wild oats and venison on the menu in the foothills, peaches in places with cold winters and pears in the places without, that kind of thing. A lot more small animals than large ones, and a lot more grains and vegetables than meat.

If you or one of your close (within walking distance) neighbors had to grow or raise every bit of food you ever see, what would be on the menu for Thanksgiving at your house? I'm on the Gulf Coast, blueberries would be a luxury item because it's hard to make them do well down here, but I can get you all the blackberries you want, they grow wild everywhere.

If someone has to put it on a wagon, and bring it for miles over bad roads in a wagon with poor springs at 2 or 3 MPH, you either aren't gonna see it at all or it's going to be hellishly expensive.

Also, beer and wine tend to not travel well, so most spirits will be locally brewed/vinted/distilled. No peach brandy in the tropics, no orange liqueurs in the frozen north.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
I found a few good websites about medieval menus. I am listing the links to the menus but they have "home" sites with info on more than menus.
http://tudorhistory.org/topics/food/menu.html
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~vaasjoki/exlibris/medfood.html
http://members.tripod.com/med_food/index.html
These are mostly about medieval England, with the one giving a general idea about what people ate in different areas. I think that is the high school project one, that is the last one.
If anyone finds anything better please post here.

Bruce
P.S there is an app available on the ENworld website that is for taverns (does drinks, food, atmosphere, patrons, etc...). It can be a little fun but you can only use it on the website. Though to me it doesn't hit the "flavor" I am looking for...

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 05:24:09 AM »
IIRC HARN Manor has some stuff on quite like early medieval England equivalent food - and in the other HARN supplements there are more - some are fan made. Again IIRC at Lydia.com forums there have been threads related to food.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »
IIRC HARN Manor has some stuff on quite like early medieval England equivalent food - and in the other HARN supplements there are more - some are fan made. Again IIRC at Lydia.com forums there have been threads related to food.
I have some Harn stuff but unfortunately not Harn Manor. Though I do have a spreadsheet I downloaded from the lydia.com forums that is based on the stuff in Harn Manor.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
HARN Manor is MUST. Best HARN product IMO and HARN products are in a way BEST stuff around. I like RM & SW more  but HARN maps, details  are just so good.  Even though it is too "old" etc. to my gaming 'tech level' it is easily modifiable to different agricultural efficiency, economy, society. I frequently use HARN manors, villages, keeps and castles (from Columbia games products and fan created) to flesh out random places. If you have created a couple manors with HARN Manor adjusting tech level can be made during game session.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
HARN Manor is MUST. Best HARN product IMO and HARN products are in a way BEST stuff around. I like RM & SW more  but HARN maps, details  are just so good.  Even though it is too "old" etc. to my gaming 'tech level' it is easily modifiable to different agricultural efficiency, economy, society. I frequently use HARN manors, villages, keeps and castles (from Columbia games products and fan created) to flesh out random places. If you have created a couple manors with HARN Manor adjusting tech level can be made during game session.
I agree, the detail on the Harn stuff is simply awesome, the maps, the background, the setting overall. You can get the main map for a penny at nobleknight.com. You used to be able to get the entire setting for free (came in a binder) back in the 90's. I even tried playing the actual RPG once. Didn't care much for the mechanics and the rule setting was to realistic with real world to be fun for me.
I tried a lot of RPG's back then, that's when I discovered that RM ruined everything for me...lol. Nothing really compares. HARP comes close enough though.

Bruce

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

I like random tavern and menu generators like this one -
http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/random_inn/menu.shtml
(I recall a different and perhaps better one, did a scroll like output, but this gets the point across.)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »
I don't really bother much with menus. The fare in any tavern is very much defined by what's available. Fresh vegetables are generally not available during winter or spring. Much the same with fresh meat. Grains and cheese are available year round. The fruits and vegetables also depend on the region.

Most taverns server some sort of stew as a main course. Roasted meat may be available. Breakfast consists of porridge served with a dark beer.