Author Topic: realm of Arms shortchanged (Any RM Version)  (Read 11030 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: realm of Arms shortchanged (Any RM Version)
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
gotta say this interests me greatly.. if pure arms users could learn these as Combat maneuvers,
That's exactly how I use them.  The are basically a form of specialization, but the skill is treated as a combat maneuver skill.

Also you can implement these templates into non-fighter pure arms users like Warrior monks
They are intended for any Pure Arms User (which Warrior Monks are).  So, while the Warrior Monk would need to learn a Weapon Style first, they could then stack this on top of that potentially.  GM discretion of course.

or even have a 'stealth based one" that allows for snap-action lock picking without a penalty or diving cover directly into stealth maneuvers.
start implementing this throughout other skill sets like Leadership (use abilities like rally, inspire allies etc) all at the cost of fatigue instead of PP.
I'm not quite sure where you're going here.  The concept is really specifically centered on weapon styles.  Most non-combat moving maneuver skills have applicable side skill you could use in RM.  For example adrenal concentration is what I'd use for improving my lock picking (I believe there is also a talent that permanently removes the Snap penalty for a character at the cost of not getting a deliberate bonus).  Leadership is a static maneuver, so I don't think the idea would apply well at all to that.  I'd work other skills in with that such as Duping, Acting, Public Speaking, etc.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
Re: realm of Arms shortchanged (Any RM Version)
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »
The concept is close to something I have imagined as well. I'm intrigued someone is working on something like this for RMSS/FRP. In fact, this could be a major part of some kind of Arms Companion for RMU. The fact that high skill bonus never really increases attack speed is annoying.

For that reason I use breaking 150, originally from RoCoI or II, I don't remember exactly - if you score 275 after db is subtracted, I lookup a 150 result and then apply the surplus again - usually in a new attack versus same target, but I subtract db again except from parry, that only applies once. If the first attack downs the foe, I allow the player to select a new target if this does not require much movement beyond 1 hex or 5 feet So 275 after db and parry, vs foe (with zero qu bonus) and normal shield, results in new attack@125 minus shield bonus, net result of 100. In this case the second attack probably doesn't do much, but it would with a 350 result.

I've long imagined a whole barrage of Combat Maneuver skills though, exactly along the lines Cory is scetching up, but never came to the point of actually writing a draft. However, I do this:
Minimum activity for a melee attack is: 60% for rank 1-10, 55% for rank 11-20, 50% for rank 21-30, 45% for rank 31-40, etc. This enables a character with a lot of ranks to strike in more than one of the respective action phases, but with a penalty for attacking with less than 100% activity according to the rules.

Weapon styles per MACo does provide a few options. though.