Author Topic: Phone & tablet apps (Iphone and Andriod)  (Read 12995 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Phone & tablet apps (Iphone and Andriod)
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
I'd prefer this kind of thing is downloadable and not have to go to a web-page to use.  For example, as odd as it sounds, if I'm camping and we're gaming (which we do on occasion) I want to be able to use this on a laptop or smart device (android/iphone, ipad/tablet/kindle, etc) without having to have an internet connection.

I do agree with that. Interconnection is cool but we've also had games disrupted by loss of internet (e.g. wireless router has hallucinations or whatever it is that wireless routers do when they're not routing) so I'd rather not depend on the internet.

If you want to get really fancy; track in combat duration of spells cast on individual targets.

That seems like a good idea. From the implementation perspective it's just defining an event and counting the rounds. Could also be useful for things like "time until the next group of guards arrive", "time until the drawbridge is fully lowered", and other plot-related events, not just spells.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »
I'd prefer this kind of thing is downloadable and not have to go to a web-page to use.  For example, as odd as it sounds, if I'm camping and we're gaming (which we do on occasion) I want to be able to use this on a laptop or smart device (android/iphone, ipad/tablet/kindle, etc) without having to have an internet connection.

Just to clarify, a web app needs no continuous connection to the Internet. For example Rolemaster Combat Minion initially looks like you're going to a website - which you are - but thenceforth you set the site to be used offline, and you never need connection to the Internet thereafter. You can use the system for years without an Internet connection. The database of characters/NPCs/creatures is saved and maintained entirely on the client side, whether that be a desktop, notebook, tablet/ipad, android/iOS smartphone, whatever. Only if you want the optional functionality described above where players can log into the system using their own devices would you need Internet, or connectivity of some kind.

The thinking these days is to design systems which are as platform/OS/connectivity independent as possible. My company wouldn't normally consider developing software tied to a particular platform. Been there, done that, doesn't fit with today's use of technology. Having said that, and probably having put a few other developers' noses out of joint on this forum, let me say that with a relatively low user base like RM, you might be able to consider forcing users onto Windows, or whatever. Obviously not ideal, but there still could be some viability.

Offline tooleychris

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
This looks great! Would be cool if ICE maybe gave folks a password for the system when they purchase PDFs.  I'd pay a pretty big 1 time fee if it's as good as it looks. How I wish Rolemaster had a set of tools like TSRs Core Rules for Ad&D. I'd pay much for it!

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
This looks great! Would be cool if ICE maybe gave folks a password for the system when they purchase PDFs.  I'd pay a pretty big 1 time fee if it's as good as it looks. How I wish Rolemaster had a set of tools like TSRs Core Rules for Ad&D. I'd pay much for it!

Agreed
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
I said I would start a new thread to introduce "Rolemaster Combat Minion" (RCM) to the wider forum audience, to describe it a little better, and to get some feedback. Sorry I haven't done that yet... but I will in the next few days.  On a personal note, since our group started using RCM instead of printed table look-ups I'm a much happier GM :). I believe many other GMs would like it too.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:18 PM »
Just to add to the appetite for a Rolemaster application, this is a fully functioning window to register maneuvers by each member of the party.
Of course each check on the right commits the outcome, so those without undead lore need not embarrass themselves by rolling.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Nice, that's super useful. I would also add a field for other modifiers besides difficulty. It could just be an "Other modifiers" field that lets you enter a number.

I assume there's some way to distinguish between percentage maneuvers (as shown) and absolute maneuvers.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
Speaking from the experience of using the program, more than one field per character during an action only complicates things for the GM. So far I've tried to keep the players up to date with what the system does and what it doesn't.
Here is another screenshot, explained below:

The second character has a number between parenthesis that is lower than the first. This is because at the time of executing the maneuver, he has suffered a -10 from a critical. This is already considered in the maneuver result listed.
The total bonus also includes level, ranks, items, etc.
If the character has, for some reason, a modifier that is not considered, I'd rather have the player do the math and I'd just input one number per character.

As regards moving vs static maneuvers, the XML configuration files state the resolution type for each skill. This allows not only to choose the correct table, but also to avoid listing offensive bonuses on this window, and listing only offensive bonuses on the attack window.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
I was thinking of an "Other modifier" that would apply equally to all the players. Same as the difficulty rating. Not a per player modifier, I can see how that would get out of hand.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
Just letting you know I started a new topic for Rolemaster Combat Minion which includes a link to a youtube video to see it in operation, here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13646

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 06:02:29 AM »
A wee late to the party but here's my 2cents. Since I've partially gotten back into programming, and other duties and commitments permitting, I should have a finalized combat tracker program/app for Windows 8 computers and tablets around march 2014. The idea is to track NPCs and monsters only at the time being, and be compatible with RMU only. In my current campaign it's gotten to the point that we just spend way too much time book-keeping and I really want to cut down on that. The program will accept monsters and NPCs through the use of an Excel sheet and classify according to level and type (Undead, Dragons etc). I'll throw updates on the forums as I get closer to release in case anyone's interested as, as always, I just do these things in my own free time.