Author Topic: Phone & tablet apps (Iphone and Andriod)  (Read 12994 times)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Phone & tablet apps (Iphone and Andriod)
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »
A definite solution to the main problem I hear is if a Data Package is sold by ICE, containing all the tables and relevant other stuff. Use something everyone can incorporate in their program and a user must buy and the program and data package. Make it .xml, or something, so an average Joe can't really make use of it. That way ICE and the programmer get to make some money.

RM is perfect for a digital format. If we can have a night of gaming without table look up and multi-page character sheets and perhaps rules discussions, it would make RM a far better game. Its % resolution, combined with tables and the large number of variables involved will go down so much more smoothly. Not to mention that ICE/ GCP would become the first company to offer such a digital format. Firsts usually become the standard other companies must conform to...
Game On!

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 04:10:26 AM »
Have yourself an idea point, Vlad!
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »
The XML format is a real possibility. All my RM applications are based on XML data. I have already converted most spells in the spell books and RMFRP companions to XML, also all Maneuver Tables, Combat companion attack and critical tables, and of course most professions and Shadow World races.
Also, the character creation wizard I designed saves a lvl 0 character as XML, which can then be loaded with the leveling module, and the same character XML files are used by the adventuring module.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 06:50:33 AM »
AutoHARP already uses the split program (which is free for software licensing purposes) and database files which are sold by us on OneBookShelf for a royalty direct to the programmer. This is a very viable model.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
 The ideal in my mind is a player with a smart phone rolls or has his smart device roll, it sends it to the database which updates all of the numbers approved, changed or disapproved, and then spits out the result for the GM to approve, change or not approve, adds the info the right PC or NPC sheet and combat moves on to the next person.

But the above way looks really great also.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
AutoHARP already uses the split program (which is free for software licensing purposes) and database files which are sold by us on OneBookShelf for a royalty direct to the programmer. This is a very viable model.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Can you give a pointer to this? I did not find anything sounding computer-related on OneBookShelf.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Here are the Auto-HARP links.

HARP Fantasy

HARP SF
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
If the GM is using a notebook/netbook with the adventuring module, it is enough for the player to roll and tell the GM the value obtained, then the GM enters the rolls and checks the result.

Although most fields are completed automatically, the roll is always manually entered.

This is obviously by design, as my current groups shudders at the thought of a random roll used for their characters.
For the rolls where the outcome should not be known (such as sense ambush), I ask the players for some rolls beforehand, and the system then can access them randomly later.

PS: Please confirm if the images in this and my previous post can be seen.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »
Images are visible to me...

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
The images are visible to me as well.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
I see an image in the more recent post but not in the previous ones.

A nice thing about XML is that it's easy enough to work with that in principle you could have data packs that work in a variety of applications. You could also have XML export from a character generator that is read by any GM tool. And if the data files are useful to users of multiple pieces of software, there's less duplication of work and perhaps more sales per data file.

With regard to applications with all the data built in, I will note that one of the (few) things WotC did well in D&D 4.0 was their character builder program. It was super easy to develop and level a character because all the skill, ability, and spell descriptions were right at your fingertips. The data was free for the first three levels and after that you needed to buy a subscription... although the limits on sharing were such that a normal-sized gaming group could share one subscription.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »
that looks Nice.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
The ideal in my mind is a player with a smart phone rolls or has his smart device roll, it sends it to the database which updates all of the numbers approved, changed or disapproved, and then spits out the result for the GM to approve, change or not approve, adds the info the right PC or NPC sheet and combat moves on to the next person.

As I was writing my software, I was thinking even more ambitiously than that. I envisage players using any device, logged into the GM's Rolemaster Combat Minion (RCM) (screenshots given earlier), with the player literally choosing what their char is doing during any part of the round. Using ajax/push/pull, RCM could easily report on what happens at the end of each 10% activity. This would be especially useful for movement when using hex grids and miniatures, since the timing of each hex of movement is far easier calculated by software. Whenever a char is due to move a hex, RCM says so, and the player moves. Of course if "simultaneous" movement is not desired, RCM could still abide by the round phases as in the RAW. Ie. 2 phases in RMC/2 or 3 phases in RMU.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
merkir,
 IMHO that is great.

I also do not think that with younger players today if RM gets the label of the "app" system that it will hurt it in any way.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
It seems the first image (mobile character sheet app) lost its sharing properties, here goes again:

As regards the ease of character creation in WotC products, the character wizard we are using for RM was partially inspired by it, here is a screenshot of the Step 8 - Culture

I am not sure about updating the character sheet every 10 seconds, unless the group is meeting online, I prefer the attention of the players on the GM, we currently update the character sheet automatically every 1 minute, just to make sure that stun, penalties and remaining hits are known to the player before choosing the next move.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
see these things that both merkir and Voriig are showing is exactly what we need
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
We're monitoring closely and will be contacting both with our thoughts once John is back to his home office and can review the entire situation.  We do agree that electronic support is critical for future success, especially with a system like Rolemaster - less so with HARP, but still very valuable there also.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Couple things to consider.

I'd prefer this kind of thing is downloadable and not have to go to a web-page to use.  For example, as odd as it sounds, if I'm camping and we're gaming (which we do on occasion) I want to be able to use this on a laptop or smart device (android/iphone, ipad/tablet/kindle, etc) without having to have an internet connection.

I'd definitely pay $5.00 for a well made comprehensive combat app, maybe $10 if it does everything I want it to.

Those things would be to track...
Level
Hits
PP's
Bleeding
Stuns (of the various kinds)
OB (possibly broken down into it's parts)
- Natural OB
- Item bonuses (Magic or not)
- Magic bonuses (spells impacting the OB)
DB (possibly broken down into it's parts)
- Quickness
- Shield
- Magic
- Talents
- Adrenal Defense

...etc...

If you want to get really fancy; track in combat duration of spells cast on individual targets.  Everything from Charm or Confusion to Auras and Hastes, etc, experience earned, etc.

Even without result look-ups this is a great way to track combatants status'.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Here are the Auto-HARP links.

HARP Fantasy

HARP SF
Thanks but what I'd rather need is the pointer to the "split program" and "database files".

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
You can download the executable on its own from David Klecker's sourceforge page. For ease, we include the executable and the database files in the commercial downloads.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme