Author Topic: need advice / help handling harp stuns  (Read 3999 times)

Offline LukeZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: need advice / help handling harp stuns
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
Ok thanks!
Last stun question (for me): during a single round you are hit for a 3 rounds stun and hit again for a 2 rounds stun. You fail both RR rolls. One round passes, and you are still alive. What will your "stun counters" be?
a) 2 rounds (difficulty 120) and 1 round (difficulty 110)?
b) 2 rounds (difficulty 120) and 2 rounds (difficulty 110)?
c) 3 rounds (difficulty 120) and 1 round (difficulty 110)?

Offline LukeZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »
Any help, please?  :'(

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »
In my game it would be b) 2 rounds of (difficulty 120) and 2 rounds (difficulty 110).

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »
Officially it is A.
See this thread.
Stun Stacking vs Stun RR
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline LukeZ

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Hi guys,

So thank you all for your comments and thoughts on the topic I posted.  Ive thought long and hard about this and I proposed to my group the following.  Personally I think its an elegant balance between book keeping needs (i really dont want to original stun lengths from individual blows) but neither do I want to penalise players for the increased difficulty of resisting 'cumulative stun'.  Here are the house rules I came up with:

2.1 Stuns

When are you stunned?

on your next initiative you make a stun roll.. if you pass you shrug it all off(i.e. hand back all tokens) and act normally
 - - The moment in the round the critical or spell delivers the stun

When can I resist my stun?
 - - At your next primary initiative in the round you received the stun, or if you are stunned after your initiative then you resist in the next round on your primary initiative.
 - - If you use two weapon combo and are stunned after your primary initiative (which would be after your 1st attack) then you do not get your second attack and cannot resist the stun until your primary initiative in the next round.

When is stun ‘naturally’ removed?
 - - One round of stun is removed from a player in the round after their stun if they lost an action due to stun in the previous round.
 - - If they did not lose an action in the previous round even though they were stunned then no stun is removed naturally at their initiative in the next round. 

How do I resist my stun?
 - - Determine the RR required for ALL accumulated stun (see table below).
 - - Roll open ended and add your Stamina RR total bonus to the roll.
 - - If it is over the required RR you are completely un-stunned AT your initiative.
 - - If you fail your stun RR, it is no longer an automatic ‘no effect’.  You may have partially resisted your accumulated stun.  See table below.

Total Stun      RR required to          Partial Resistance Success
in Rounds       resist total stun     (rounds removed from stun)
1                          110                 1
2                          120                 2
3                          130                 3
4                          140                 4
5                          150                 5
6                          160                 6
7                          170                 7
8                          180                 8
9                          190                 9
10                        200                 10

So a character who is stunned for 3 rnds in rnd one after his init, and then a further 2 rounds in round 2 before his init is stunned for a total of 5 rounds, and even though he 'fails' his stun RR to shake all 5 rounds (150) he does manage to roll 141 and thus removes 4 of the 5 rounds of stun at his init.

I think this is quicker to track, allows characters to feel like they are making some progress at eroding stun rather than all or nothing and I can now just place cumulative stun tokens beside characters on our hex board for easy and visible stun tracking.

Im scared to ask what you all think as its a bit different to the core rules but hey, my group loved it.

Augs

I also do this minus the scaled removal of stun rounds. though I use tokens to track stuns)
in a round you take X amount of stun rnds from any/multiple sources.
at the start of your next action you roll your Stamina roll. 5 rnds of stun = roll > 150 etc.
this is an all or nothing roll.  If the roll is passed you hand back all tokens and act normally.
If you fail your roll you hand back one token (to account for 1 rnd ticking over) and act as per standard rules for being stunned.

this is a simplified form of stuns as it does not account for different stuns from different sources..it simply piles them all on top of each other. but of the other side it increases the RR of successfully passing the stamina rolls.

i.e. standard rules;
first attack does 2 rnds of stun.  RR = 120
2nd attack on same rnd does 3 rnds of stun RR =130
on my next action I must make 2 seperate RR's to negate the stun. If I fail, my following turn the RR's remain the same.

Home Rules;
First attack does 2 rounds of stun, RR = 120
Second attack does 3 rounds of stun, RR now = 150
next turn I make RR at 150, If I fail, 1 rnd is taken off and I am still stunned however,
The following round (assuming no extra stuns are scored) my RR drops to 140, (as there are only 4 rnds of stun left)
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »
I like the tokens idea! I'll have to try and find some cheap tokens somewhere to use.

I thought, and correct me if I am wrong, that consecutive attacks that do more stun cancel out previous stun results. Meaning if a character suffers 5 rounds of stun in the first round and then fails his RR but gets two rounds of stun in the second round, that character is only stunned for the two rounds from the last attack. Essentially the second smaller stun result is a kind of "a slap in the face" and breaks the other stun result.
Bruce

When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 01:16:59 AM »
I think stuns stack, just like Hits of damage stack.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »
Re: Tokens

I bought a bunch of these and am just making my own.  1" round and 1/8" thick blank wooden tokens.  Either paint them or use a permanent marker.  Use them for Bleeding, Stuns, etc.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/158697773/50-1-unfinished-wood-circles-small-1?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=blank+wood+tokens&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss