Author Topic: Rules questions  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rules questions
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
Thank you for your replies!

I wont use Fatepoints for opponents, thats something that makes the characters even larger than (they already are) life.
And we play with reduced Fatepoints. They had two for the entire campaign...

The idea with the reducing of damage caps works fine. But then we have the open-ended-roll.... doesnt really help.

I did let the situation go on and the fighter is called "Dragonslayer". Of course. Everybody is impressed, stories are told and now he's most wanted... even new enemies...
As the GM I wouldnt decide against good-players-luck, still the disappointment is there. I'm not always the groups' best friend, in bossfights I'm the boss to be fought...  :gnash:
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Enjoy it... good going to play up the fame aspect.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to steal his weapon, assuming that it must be magical....
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to steal his weapon, assuming that it must be magical....

Or wouldn't be surprised if his fame preceded him, as a famous monster slayer and suddenly he is thrust/forced by an expectant village into battling a group of {insert overwhelming group of monsters here} that are terrorizing them because "well he killed a dragon so a handful of these monsters cant be as bad, can they?"
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:26 AM »
Nice ideas here!

But as I wrote, the campaign ended and I told the story of "what the future could be like".
They decided that the characters wont go into the next adventure, and I also gave up the GMs seat for a while in this particular buildup of the group.
Because I am still the GM for the bigger group and bigger campaign (converted serpents skull from paizo).

Good thing is, I will play again. And the other GM decided to play HARP *yay*
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »
I don't have a problem with high lvl or boss NPC's with fate points BUT I'd suggest that PC's should receive bonus XP for fights against NPC's with fate points as, let's face it, fate points for NPC's are only to make the fight harder or to counter lucky rolls. Also, while PC's may need to use FPs anytime through a campaign, NPC FPs are really only used against the PC's in one fight so it's a bit unfair. So if I as a GM decide to stack the deck a bit with NPC FPs, I think a bit of bonus XP is only fair.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »
I don't have a problem with high lvl or boss NPC's with fate points BUT I'd suggest that PC's should receive bonus XP for fights against NPC's with fate points as, let's face it, fate points for NPC's are only to make the fight harder or to counter lucky rolls. Also, while PC's may need to use FPs anytime through a campaign, NPC FPs are really only used against the PC's in one fight so it's a bit unfair. So if I as a GM decide to stack the deck a bit with NPC FPs, I think a bit of bonus XP is only fair.
I second this. Also I think that the PCs should not get penalized because the group encountered a flaw in the combat system. And personally I think that killing large and super-large creatures that easily is a system flaw.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »
If you adjust the XP up based upon use of a Fate Point by the foe, then you should also adjust XP down if the PC's use a fate point.

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »
I probably wouldn't lower xp for using a FP for PC's since either the player has spent DP's to get the FP or has received it from the GM as a reward. NPC's (unless the GM has made it from scratch and thought of it prior to creation) wouldn't have spent DP's to get the same bonus. And FP's are designed to be used in life and death situations so I wouldn't penalise a PC with lower xp for doing what they should do or, at least, that's not my style of GMing.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
I would not do it either, but then again I wouldn't adjust up the XP for the foe using a fate point - but if you do one, then I recommend doing both for balance sake.