Author Topic: Spell Mastery/Research for enchanted and Fey creatures.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Mastery/Research for enchanted and Fey creatures.
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
This falls under keeping the PC's on their toes.
Does anyone allow SM for fey creatures, dragons, etc?

I'm thinking of allowing it as a natural ability or learned skill, like PC's. I rule SM per Spell List.
What would a pixie have.. +20? A dragon +100? Could be a function of lvl or Type.

I might give "magical creatures" a base +50. IDK.. My reasoning is that a mature dragon can probably tweak their spells beyond the parameters of what is taught to mere mortals. They still have to roll, but they've had time to practice.

If you add Research, then their spells or whole Lists can be modified beyond the norm. Now you only have to roll SCSM (I require SCSM for all spells.).
They might not be good at traditional Library Research; they don't know the Dewy Decimal System. Yet, again, they should be able to bend spells to suit their needs. Once researched, the mods are permanent. Their magic culture, Aura whatever could facilitate the mods.

Anyone else deal with this?

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Spell Mastery/Research for enchanted and Fey creatures.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
I train all skills per normal advancement based on level of NPC, though special creatures, such as dragons, gain significant racial bonuses, THEN I apply talents for those very special NPC's.

The other night a Dragonian raid involved a Dragonian mage adding +2 targets to his shock bolt attack.  I of course described it as three electric blue dragon swarming about the mages head and body before rushing with  crackiling roar at their respective target.  At no point did I say "shock bolt".  The players were impressed.  In my mind, a level 12 mage could train SM in light law (he was a blue dragonian with electric breath) an have 48 ranks (it is an EV skill).  Add in a racial mod of +20 for all mnvs dealing with light/electricity, and you have one bad mamba jamba Dragonian Mage.

Feys and the like I assume a racial bonus of +30, or any inheriently magical creature, such as unicorns for example.  Of course, I'm very friendly with the players too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
 I have not done anything like you are asking but I think I would either do it by spell list, type or spell; all depending on what type of creature I was dealing with. I would also make very good notes so I could keep track of just what I allowed them to do for future reference.
 I also think that depending on how you build the creature or race you could define Sm in many different ways and even make a special Talent for it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
Thanks guys. Good advice. I think racial bonuses and even Talents available to that particular race, could work out.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"