Author Topic: Adrenal Defense %  (Read 65901 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adrenal Defense %
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:12:23 AM »
I have a qick question about Adrenal Defense in RMFRP.
In the Core rules + Character Law, how many % of a round does it take to use A.D.?
(We're not using Martial Arts Companion)
I have some vague memory of 20% action but that might just have been a house rule?

I.e. how much will I have to subtract from my O.B. when making an attack in the same round that I'm using Adrenal Defense?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Adrenal Defense %
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:05 AM »
IIRC without MAC there is no percentage activity required for AD.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »
Ok, cool. :)
It's been such a long time since I played RMFRP that there are gaps in my memory when it comes to some rules, especially since I used to play with all extras and never really played with just the core rules.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I guess if there is something we've both missed someone will step up and let us know. ;)

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:30:24 AM »
I think the recommendation was 40% activity to use AD.

This makes a high warrior monk actually think about using it, rather than simply have a gross DB bonus.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
The only reference that I have found to the 40% is in MAC and that's not in use.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
  There was a RoleMaster Rulings section on Brent Knorr's website that you might want to check out. But IIRC the official ruling was 40%.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Ok, it's interesting to see how it goes back and forth.
A ruling stipulating 40% and then using a companion to override it with styles...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
  There was a RoleMaster Rulings section on Brent Knorr's website that you might want to check out. But IIRC the official ruling was 40%.
MDC
The entry in the Rolemaster Rulings page is a clarification which says "If you are not using the Martial Arts Companion, there is no percentage activity requirement for Adrenal Defense."
So, unless MAC is used, there is no activity required.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
Thanks. :)
That makes more sense.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
MDC
The entry in the Rolemaster Rulings page is a clarification which says "If you are not using the Martial Arts Companion, there is no percentage activity requirement for Adrenal Defense."
So, unless MAC is used, there is no activity required.

Thanks, it seems that I remembered it wrong. If I have time (lots of posts to read in RMU) I will try and search to find where I remembered that from.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
I'm about 99% sure I am right (because I used light fighters a lot) when I say...

RMSS Core is none: 0%
MAC: Starts at 40% which can be lowered to either 30% or 10% using styles (not sure why they didn't include a 20% option).

So it was free to begin with and the expansion made it more 'costly'... and I'd use them exactly that way, i.e. 0% if not using the MAC and 40/30/10 if using it because each are balanced with their individual rulings in mind.  Personally I think the MAC did a lot for Pure Arms users in general and, while I don't use it as-is a lot of the time, it changed the way we build them all.

I'm not sure about the other versions.  If I remember correctly RMFRP doesn't even have the adrenal defense skill in the book, even though it is referenced in various charts and the index.

- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
I'm about 99% sure I am right (because I used light fighters a lot) when I say...

RMSS Core is none: 0%
MAC: Starts at 40% which can be lowered to either 30% or 10% using styles (not sure why they didn't include a 20% option).

So it was free to begin with and the expansion made it more 'costly'... and I'd use them exactly that way, i.e. 0% if not using the MAC and 40/30/10 if using it because each are balanced with their individual rulings in mind.  Personally I think the MAC did a lot for Pure Arms users in general and, while I don't use it as-is a lot of the time, it changed the way we build them all.

I'm not sure about the other versions.  If I remember correctly RMFRP doesn't even have the adrenal defense skill in the book, even though it is referenced in various charts and the index.

It is located in Character Law. P.46 for RMFRP and is says nothing about any % requirement.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.