Author Topic: Spell lists and weapon tables  (Read 3621 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell lists and weapon tables
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »
Just wondering, how feasible would it be for ICE to release/sell the softwares and templates they use to format the weapon tables and the spell lists, for all of us who create new weapon tables and new spell lists? The way I see it, it doesn't remove any selling of existing products (you'd still need a copy of the books in order to make any use of the weapon tables or spell lists), encourage use of the system (since you can easily create your own weapon tables and spell lists) and give revenue from people who may not buy new products. I mean, without them, people wishing to create their own weapon tables and spell lists can and would still do so, so why not easy their tasks and get some money from it at the same time?
(Especially weapon tables whose creation is headache and pure pain)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:15:42 AM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Spell lists and weapon tables
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
I second!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
OLF,
 I would send a PM or email to Nicholas HM Caldwell to see what he has to say.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
Blank spell Lists are in the books, but I haven't seen blank weapon tables..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
I would imagine the templates are in publishing software (e.g. Pagemaker) rather than in something convenient to do a couple pages in (e.g. Word), so they might not be that useful for people who aren't in the publishing business.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
I would imagine the templates are in publishing software (e.g. Pagemaker) rather than in something convenient to do a couple pages in (e.g. Word), so they might not be that useful for people who aren't in the publishing business.
Mayhap, but I can ask, can't I?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
  I do not think you could do a weapon table in Word or MS Publisher. JDale is right that IMHO I think it would be a InDesign file or some other more powerful publishing software. But you might be able to make a blank PDF copy of it and link it to an database for online filling of the form.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
You could also create the weapons tables via a PHP script that pulls the data from a text file (CSV or tab-delimited) or a database. PHP has a PDF library that you can create PDFs with and then dump in the data into the proper spots. I've done something similar with custom spell books for my HARP players.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
I have a weapon table generator a friend designed for me. In MS Excel; with a few parameters per AT it can crank out tables how you want them. Its not doing any calculating to be precise: it is merely a number spreader across the range of 1-150. It also does crits. You can assign a max hits and a min hits and a location for the min hits. Then you can specify a curve for how the numbers get spread up to max hits at 150. Same for the crits: max crit and location for min crit (always A).

I did 40+ tables with it, which will hopefully be published by The Guild Companion site when I can have a few wrinkles ironed out the programming: It needs more defined curves.

But you can have it, Olf. PM me.

I am loathe to upload it to the vault since it was made by an old friend of mine and I'm not sure he's ok with it becoming public domain.
Game On!

Offline thirqual

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
The layout of the spell list can be recreated in LaTeX (2 columns, blank scroll as picture containing a table for the condensed list, the rest is trivial). The weapons table too probably. That could be a nice project for when I have some time.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
I also have a spreadsheet that makes weapon tables, http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/combat_table_generator.zip  (more info on http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/rpg.htm ) but the layout is nothing special.

If you like the spell list format of http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item167 (which is very like the ones in Spell Law), I have the original file... but only in WordPerfect.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:05 AM »
If you like the spell list format of http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item167 (which is very like the ones in Spell Law), I have the original file... but only in WordPerfect.
I'd like this one, please~

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »
Send me an email and I'll send it to you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
In studying these tables for a long time ago application I did I noticed patterns with the weapon's tables and some patterns with the critical tables but the patterns will only get you half-way. One idea would be to have something that has the tables in an XML format and then you could create tables through existing weapons. For example, say you want Weapon Z which is 80% Weapon X and 20% Weapon Y. Thus it could take both tables X and Y and average the values but increase or decrease values according to specifications. Another idea is take one table and just say you want to increase the values by 15%. The critical tables could be done in a similar way but the text would have to be customized all the way through.

If all you wanted was the tables in an electronic fashion to fill in this could be done through forms in Adobe Acrobat which I believe is available free to anyone using Acrobat Reader. If not it could be done through HTML/CSS/Javascript but requiring a bit of work.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:11:29 AM by Monk »

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
I eventually got enough material to be able to do about everything I wanted to (such as this for weapons, using three different tools, and this for spell lists), so I'd like to thank everyone who contributed (either here or through PM). Thanks a lot, guys, you're the best. :wave:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:54:19 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
Those are beautiful.
I'd love something like that. Just need to put in the time..
Great job!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"