Author Topic: HARP revised with little formatting errors  (Read 9412 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP revised with little formatting errors
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
Since the pdf version may get revised, could it be possible to make it such that the physical page numbering matches the pdf page numbering? I mean, if you go to the pdf p42, for instance, it matches the book p41 so it makes it a bit annoying to jump from the table of contents to the correct page. The SLII was done that way, so it should be possible...
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
Since the pdf version may get revised, could it be possible to make it such that the physical page numbering matches the pdf page numbering? I mean, if you go to the pdf p42, for instance, it matches the book p41 so it makes it a bit annoying to jump from the table of contents to the correct page. The SLII was done that way, so it should be possible...

It will get fixed; this will be added to the list.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
An index for the pdf would be a great help for navigating the book as well (the one that come up in the side pane not the index pages at the back although if those were hyper-linked too that would be sweet).  Earlier HARP pdf products usually lacked this. Hyper-linking for table of contents and cross references would be very helpful.  When you are trying to look up specific information in the pdf this is very handy.  Usually this is not too hard to generate in most DTP products.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
An index for the pdf would be a great help for navigating the book as well (the one that come up in the side pane not the index pages at the back although if those were hyper-linked too that would be sweet).  Earlier HARP pdf products usually lacked this. Hyper-linking for table of contents and cross references would be very helpful.  When you are trying to look up specific information in the pdf this is very handy.  Usually this is not too hard to generate in most DTP products.

By earlier I was referring to pre-HARP-SF the linking and indexing of the PDF in that one works great.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
Usually this is not too hard to generate in most DTP products.

That is correct... if the document was formatted in a certain way.

But at the very least, the ToC's will have hyperlinks once it's been re-released. But the Index is a mammoth manual task.

Quote from: allenrmaher
By earlier I was referring to pre-HARP-SF the linking and indexing of the PDF in that one works great.

I'm glad to hear it!!  8)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
Ok, I found some more errors. I hope it's not too depressing.

p. 35
Animal Handling
subskills with a –20 modifier This skill is normally
There should have a point after modifier.

p. 36
Beastmastery: Special Modifiers
The listing of animals in some categories ends with "etc..." instead of "etc.".

p. 37
Brawling
classical weapons such as swords etc, are forbidden
I think "etc." should be written with a point.

rolled on the appropriate Fumble Table.Brawling attacks
There should have a space between Table and Brawling.

Chi Strength: Sustaining Chi Skills
Chi Skills (Chi Focus, Chi Speed, Chi Strength) are very tiring .
Here there is one space too much at the end of the sentence.

p. 38
Combat Styles & Maneuvers: Blindfighting and Disarm Foe
The spacing between the paragraphs in the second colomn of this page is variable for no apparent reason. Blindfighting seems too close to the previous paragaph and Disarm Foe quite far from Mounted Combat.

Combat Styles & Maneuvers: Mounted Combat
a total skill bonus of 80 means that the -80 modifier is reduced
to -0).
Maybe removing the "-" (minus) before "0" (zero)?

potentially reduce the penalty further if their mount makes a Medium Bonus Riding maneuver
The mount makes the maneuver?

p. 39
Combat Styles & Maneuvers: Mounted Combat (continued)
he would receive a +7 OB bonus on his attack ((94: 80) / 2 =7).
The ":" should be replaced with "-".

Combat Styles & Maneuvers: Two Weapon Combo: Example
would be 70 with his main weapon and 50 with the weapon
There seems to have one space too much before "50" (at least when I look at it, not when I cut and paste!).

Crafts
Fisherman: Capture of fish by
Same as previous one, one space too much before Capture.

p. 45
Rope Mastery
The flavour text should be in italic.

p. 48
Trickery
The flavour text looks more suiting for Duping then for Trickery, isn't it?

Weapon Skills
1 Handed Concussion, Thrown, Missile, Pole Arms, & Two
Handed).
Maybe replacing the "&" with "and"?

p. 49
Weapon Skills (continued)
each of the individual categories.
The equipment lists (See
Chapter 8 Equipment Lists)
I think "see" should begin with a little "s".

equally well either one-handed
or two-handed. If used
Seems to have one space too much before If.

Also, in the Weapon Skills description, the terms class, group and category seems to be used interchangeably but still having different meanings. (?)
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
potentially reduce the penalty further if their mount makes a Medium Bonus Riding maneuver

Yes. It mimics the mount working in concert with the rider.

Also, in the Weapon Skills description, the terms class, group and category seems to be used interchangeably but still having different meanings. (?)

I hope not. I've reread that portion and it makes sense to me. Where does it seem to go wrong for you?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
Minor mistakes or areas with room for improvement I have seen include:

pg 25 and pg 26 In regards to the Greater Blood traits.  For clarity sake maybe say something like "Constitution Bonus +2" rather than "Constitution +2"  for the stat modifier.  When I was new to HARP I did not realize the racial modifiers were for the bonus instead of the actual stat for quite a while (and the racial stat modifiers seemed pointlessly trivial to me because of that).  Also while looking at this table it isn't immediately clear to me if the stat modifier comes with the trait or is one of the options that can replace a normal racial trait.  For example does a Human with the Greater Dwarven blood trait need to sacrifice Skill Flexibility or the like to get the +2 Constitution Bonus modifier.

pg 28 (not a error, but a possible place for improvement)  For characters with Con bonuses of 0 or less what is the time increment.  I would recommend using the DP value rather than the Con Bonus.  Thus someone with a 45 Con would have a walking time increment of 3/4 of an hour.  This won't be a major issue but some characters may start with really poor Con stats and others are likely to receive Con damage that may put them in a state where they can not maintain their normal pace.

pg 34 The Athletic skill category label should have a blank entry in the resolution column instead of "All-or-nothing".

Other than these I have not seen anything that has bothered me so far.  I am very happy with the new look and improvements I've seen so far!

Good job and Kudos to the whole TGC team on this.

(now to get back to work on my fantasy setting)

Pyrotech

-Pyrotech

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Table 3.1 pg 15: should the +2500/lv be: +2500/lvl with the last “l”

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »
Other miscellaneous comments that are more about aesthetics than definite typos:

In the professions chapter the “2”s for the initial ranks in a class look like they are a smaller font than the other numbers.  This is probably just an effect of the font, but that is what it looks like. (pgs. 11-13)

Player’s Tip-Character Development pg 15: The font does seem “to go” with the other fonts.  Maybe this is just my aesthetic but it seems jarring and extra large in relation to the other fonts.

For stat cost > 91 on pg 18, I think spaces are needed between the stat range numbers and the hyphens to separate the characters and make them more readable.

The layout on page 25 and 26 is a little odd with the title “Gnomish Blood (Greater)” being followed by art which leaves the top of pg 26 starting with the paragraph that goes with the title.  I don’t know if it is possible but I think it would look better with the graphic ending page 25 and the title moved to the top of 26.  Or, move the paragraph to pg 25 if it will fit and move the art to the bottom of page 26.

Table 6.3 Master Skill pg 34 is a little busy.  Maybe it would look better if the lined and blocked based on category instead of colored every other line since the presentation is to show all of the skills with respect to their category.

Also, should contortions have related stats?  Should Athletics category have a resolution of All-or-nothing?  None of the other categories have it.

Pg 47, Spells table has no numeric designator like Table 6.4 or something like the other tables.

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 02:17:35 PM »
In the gnome's dark vision (lesser) description, I believe the example is wrong.  I think it should say that the gnome in that example can see 40' (not 30') clearly ("twice as far as the light provides").

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »

Yes. It mimics the mount working in concert with the rider.

I hope not. I've reread that portion and it makes sense to me. Where does it seem to go wrong for you?

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Thanks for the answers! I had a quick look in the creatures' chapter and found more info about the mounts, so it makes more sense. And I reread the Weapon Skill description: its ok now, I think I was a little bit tired when I read it the first time.

I am creating a new character and I "discovered" new formatting errors.

pp. 25-26
The cost of blood talents after each description is either in bold or normal font. I'd suggest in bold for all numbers as is the word "Cost".

p. 48
Trading
At the beginning of the flavour text, there are two double quotes instead of only one.

p. 49
Weapon Table: Short Blades
The weapon "Main Gauche" is mispelled.

p. 53
Enchantment Cure
"etc." is mispelled "etc..."
It happens also in a few other places in the book.
I suggest that "lycanthropy" begins with a lower-case.

p. 54
Natural Linguist
"All-or-Nothing" is spelled with "-" in this paragraph, but mostly without it in the rest of the book (the exception is in the skill table). I don't know which is the correct one, or if both are correct but I suggest to standardize it.

p. 56
Speak with Magical Creatures
"etc." again.

p. 57
Special Starting Items
I suggest renaming this section to:
Special Starting Items and Status
or something with an equivalent meaning.

Loyal Domesticated Animal
"etc."

Nobility
The last sentence lacks a final point.

Heir
Seems to lack a space between "either." and "The".

General observation
The right aligment of the examples is sometimes justified sometimes not. It seems to happen only to examples. The left aligment is ok, except in p. 63.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
Here again, new corrections to suggest. If some (or all!) of them are unwelcome or irrelevant, please let me know!

p.11
Cleric
Select two categories: 3 each
I think the "3" should be in normal font, not bold.

Fighter: Professional Abilities
"etc." lacks the "." (two times)

p. 13
Magician's Versatility (3rd par.)
in College of Magics (e.g, Elementalist,
"e.g," -> "e.g."

p. 58
Multiple Professions
I don't know if it is intentional, but the text description for Multiple Professions is almost the same (and gives about the same details) at p. 14 and p. 58.

the Talent, Additional Profession ,which allows him
The space is misplaced.

Example
Felzan is misspelled as "Flezan".

Fate Points (2nd par.)
of 5 Fate Points total. A Game-master may also award your
I think there's no need for the "-" here.

p. 61
The word "History:" should be in bold after the description of the TP (two times in the page).

p. 62
The text is duplicated.

p. 63
Monetary Units
I suggest to add a little more space between the coinage conversion values and the encumbrance table. Maybe give a name for this table?

for every additional 30 lbs. plus strength bonus that is carried.
Does "lbs" needs a "." ? And I think Strength should begin with a capital "s".

Table 8.1 General Equipment
A "-" is missing in the Notes' column for Arrows.

Most Notes entries begin with a capital letter and end without a point, but a few do not.

The symbol for inches was somewhat replaced by "»".

Tables 8.2 and 8.3
A space is missing in some of the Cost entries between the number and the coinage abbreviation.

p. 67
Tables 8.5 and 8.6
In the Weight entries, the spaces before and after the "-" is inconsistant. (Ok, I may be overdoing it for this one!  ;D )

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
As printing time is getting closer, I will be more concise.

pp. 63-67
Some Production Time units are plural when there are less than two "items".
Examples: "1 days", ".5 days", "1.5 days".
One occurence of the opposite: "3 day" (Broadsword)

T. 8.1
Framepack -> "lbs."

T. 8.3
Warhorse (greater) and Riding Dog
Ht/Wt column: does the "+" mean something?

Bottom of the table
* speed in dead water
-> with a capital "S"

T. 8.4
Bastard Sword
The second line is shaded unlike the formatting for Katana and Nunchaku.

p. 71
Using an Untrained Skill
In the example above, Jurgis could have attempted
It's not the immediate one before; I suggest remplacing "the" by "one".

GM’s Option:
Drunkard’s Rule
This title is spread on two lines, differing from other GM's Option tips.

All or Nothing Maneuvers
Does it need "-" between the words?

p. 72
GM’s Option: The Near Miss
pick a lock. H1is roll, plus modifiers gives a result of 98. Not
What was the correct number?

p. 73
Bonus Results: Example
the trap, she pauses to study the device and compare it to
"compares" ?

Skill vs. Skill
I think there's no "." here.

Skill vs. Skill: Example
Nynyve’s attempts to sneak past the goblin guard to
I think there's no need for the " 's " here.

p. 74
Resistance Rolls (RR)
methods. The four types of Resistance Rolls are as follows:
Do "follow" here needs a (an?) "s" ?

Offline jd.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
For stat cost > 91 on pg 18, I think spaces are needed between the stat range numbers and the hyphens to separate the characters and make them more readable.
I concur.

Table 6.3 Master Skill pg 34 is a little busy.  Maybe it would look better if the lined and blocked based on category instead of colored every other line since the presentation is to show all of the skills with respect to their category.
Again, I agree with my fellow fan. I looked up the old HARP to see how it got better, and I have two suggestions:
- First, almost all the tables can do without vertical inner lines. They hardly serve a purpose and clutter the visual as far as I am concerned. (Come to think of it, they can also do without horizontal inner lines everywhere there is alternating gray and white background. I'd lighten the gray background a bit too, but that's me.)
- Second, the numbers don't look good to me with that font. I'm ready and willing to accept that this is mainly a cultural point (British culture has Adolescent Skill "Reading weird digits" at 4, while French culture has "Explaining how everyone should have my standards" at 7), but digits that are all on the same line look better to me. Again, that's me.

p. 72
I don't think that's a number: it looks more like the "h" in "his" got capitalized, and a "1" got added for good measure.

p. 73
"compares" ?
Not necessarily: in this case, "compare" is on the same level as "study". (By the way, did you know French culture also has "Willingness to explain foreign languages" at 5? Now you're wishing you'd taken it for your Gryx Demagogue, right?)

p. 74
Resistance Rolls (RR)
Yes, it does. A third-person singular subject is implied.

Offline jd.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
Now to address my own concerns...
To begin with, I noticed that the chapters are not numbered, be it in the title or at the bottom of the page. The only place where they are is in the table of contents. Yet, the rules make numerous reference to "Chapter 3", "Chapter 5", "Chapter 10" and so on. What little I know about word processors makes me believe it would be far easier to add a chapter number to the title pages (and maybe to the page bottoms) than to rename every numeric reference to a chapter.

Also, in chapter, um, 5, "Talents and Other Options" (wait, no, I checked that and that's chapter 7), the title page has a title that looks like all the spaces have been taken away. Then again, that may just be Preview acting up.

By the way, page numbers heretofore refer to the number printed on the page, not to the document page number.

Page 10: "Some of the special abilities [...] are only avai-lable". I'd delete the hyphen.

Pages 11 and 13: there is a carriage return after "Professional Abilities:" for the Cleric, Fighter and Warrior Mage, but none for the other professions. I suggest removing the carriage return.

Starting page 24 in the description to "Heat/Cold Resistance", several times a dash is used instead of a minus sign. (And vice versa in other places.) I could list them all, but that would make a pretty large comment for little added value.

Page 24, in the description of "Elven Blood (Greater)", there is a small dot before "The character's Elven blood", whose usefulness escapes me.

Page 30, in table 5.5 Adolescent Skill Ranks, there is no space between the first "Weapon Skills" mention and the "**" following, while there is one between the second "Weapon Skills" mention and the "***" following it. Given that there is one after "Crafts", I'd say add one in "Weapon Skills **".

Page 33, sections "Learning Just a Sub-Skill" and "Mandatory Subskills" do not look consistent to me about how one writes "subskill". With or without the dash?

Page 34, table 6.3. Master Skill List does not list the stats for Contortions. For reference, the old version used Ag/SD.

Pages 34 to 48: it would be nice to have a list of difficulties for each skill, like what we get for Climbing. I understand that it would be far from a simple typo check, but I needed to say it.

Page 40, description for "Healing", says "A character with this skill [...] may reduce the number of Hits per round that he himself or somebody else is bleeding per round with a medium maneuver." I would recommend deleting the first "per round", or maybe the second, well pick one and delete it and I'll be happy. Also, shouldn't the initial "m" in "medium" be a capital?

Page 41, description for Herbcraft: maybe mention that more detail is given in chapter 12, "Herbs & Poisons".

That's it for today! Hopefully that's it period.

Offline Cyanide Baby

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »
Something very minor that might be useful: add an Index entry for "Endurance Points" and one for "Power points."

And hyperlinks.

Thanks.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »
Again, I agree with my fellow fan. I looked up the old HARP to see how it got better, and I have two suggestions:
- First, almost all the tables can do without vertical inner lines. They hardly serve a purpose and clutter the visual as far as I am concerned. (Come to think of it, they can also do without horizontal inner lines everywhere there is alternating gray and white background. I'd lighten the gray background a bit too, but that's me.)
- Second, the numbers don't look good to me with that font.

I agree! Less lines in the table.

I'm ready and willing to accept that this is mainly a cultural point (British culture has Adolescent Skill "Reading weird digits" at 4, while French culture has "Explaining how everyone should have my standards" at 7), but digits that are all on the same line look better to me. Again, that's me.

;D
Not sure if it's a cultural point... A friend of mine is French and his ones are looking like a "V" upside down. Well the metric system is accepted almost worldwide, but the calendar of the (first?) revolution was definitely a miss.

p. 72
I don't think that's a number: it looks more like the "h" in "his" got capitalized, and a "1" got added for good measure.

;D
Hahaha! Maybe it's a hint at the result of the roll?

p. 73
"compares" ?
Not necessarily: in this case, "compare" is on the same level as "study". (By the way, did you know French culture also has "Willingness to explain foreign languages" at 5? Now you're wishing you'd taken it for your Gryx Demagogue, right?)

Oh... I thought of it more like "she pauses... she compares..." Only the author can tell which is right!

With this second hint, I should suppose you're French?  ;) Hey GM, can I add one rank to my skill "Guess the nationality in encounters", please?

p. 74
Resistance Rolls (RR)
Yes, it does. A third-person singular subject is implied.

Hum... maybe, still sounds strange, but I don't have my English grammar now so I can't check.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »
Still concise.  :)

p. 24
Halfling
Heat/Cold Resistance (minor)
I suggest "M" capital, as for Greater and Lesser.

p. 25
Elven Blood (Greater)
• · The character’s Elven blood has a strong influence
The space at the beginning is too long, and there seems to have a "." for no reason.

p. 26
Halfling Blood (Lesser)
and
Halfling Blood (Greater)
• Heat/Cold Resistance (minor)
"M" capital.

p. 51
Master Talent List
Dark Vision Greater and Lesser have a line for each of them, unlike talents with subtypes, like Regeneration or Succor.

Scope Skills (radius)
Capital "R". Also on p. 55.

Scope Skills (targets)
Capital "T". Also on p. 55.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »
p. 32
Very Hard difficulty is missing the minus sign inside the parentheses.
#LotorAllura2024