Author Topic: How big is that potion bottle?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How big is that potion bottle?
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Recently I asked my players to write down everything they were carrying and it's location.
You should have heard the whines!
"I do enough paper work at my job.. This is like homework. I hide these things in a different spot everyday.."  ::)
"Please list where you have them today." I replied.

As I'm looking over the lists of acquired loot, most of it checks out. The Mage does have to ask his pack mules (the other players) to carry a few items; "remember that there's a SCSM penalty for excessive weights".

But a big issue for us is potions. How big is the bottle? Where they picture them as tiny ampules of fluid (less than a small can of V-8 juice-5.5 oz), I'm thinking about a can of soda; maybe a bit less. 6-12 oz. How do you dissolve eye of a medusa or a giant pike liver in a tiny amount of liquid? Well, magic of course..  ;)
IMHO, there should be a limiting factor. Do you want players to be carrying 8-12 potions? I don't mind the party having so many; but you have to keep some at home, in a dimensional sack, etc. This takes time to locate in the heat of battle. I don't mind that they own so many. In fact, I try to consider every item that someone else has to possibly end up in the hands of the PC's. "Great, another Jump potion. I have 3 potions of Limbrunning already. Do you want to carry them?" "These could save your life one day and obviously they are easy to make. So it's more likely to be found.." says I.

Another issue is scrolls. How thick is rune paper? What's the math of rolling a cylinder based on thickness of material? Or, how big does a scroll case need to be to contain X amount of scrolls. How many scroll tubes does the Mage really need to carry? Do they need quick pull tabs? Picture reference tabs in certain technical books. Are they different colors? This could help a lot; they haven't thought of it yet. Are they all rolled together? You have to unroll them all.. Or are they folded rectangles stacked in a hip box. My idea. Hope they miss that one too.
  If you make the rune paper, as opposed to acquiring them as loot, I could see it. Rough papyrus isn't that hard to make. Kids do it in grade school and scrap-bookers enjoy the hobby, I'm told.
With access to Rune Paper I (Essence Alchemist Organic Ways) and maybe a bit of SM you could make subtle alterations that enable less %Act to dig out of a pack.

"Keep in mind that you can only wear 2 rings at a time! End of story." You have to draw the line somewhere.  ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: How big is that potion bottle?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »
To track inventory of my PC's, I create boxes on the paper, then assign location with the following basic nomenclature;

On Belt:
Pouch #1, Pouch #2, (Pouches can hold up to 3lbs of material), scabbard, knife, etc.

Large Purse under arm(likie a saddle bag on the hip, holds up to 10 lbs)
Large Purse on hip (normally it's one or the other with carried purse/saddle bags)

On Back: quiver, bow, scabbard, etc

Ruck sack (if carried)

Back pack (inside)
Back Pack (outside)

Pockets (note, I ofetn dont have this as most middle age style clothing did not have them).

Horse: saddle, rope, two sacks, bedroll, tard, four water skins, etc.

Sacks: 17 dats preserved provisions (2lbs a day), flint and steel, four wolf furs, tannong kit)

I have created a seperate listing for quiver when called for, as when the quiver held 12 different wands instead of arrows.  A scroll case is either on the hip, slung over the back, or carried in robes.  Each case should list what scrolls are them.  Accessing them is a simple shifting item action, requiring 20% activity.  I see superior scroll cases that reduce shift time to 10%, but few have ever bought them (instead waiting to take them from dead enemy spell users  ::) )
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
You may find this little set of tables useful: http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/random-thursday-potion-containers/
You could also roll to determine how big is each potion container (I like to make each of them different from the others. Yes, even those created by the PCs. No single magic potion will look, smell or taste like any other, and each of them will have a different dosage).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
im stupid.  Forgot the topic.

Potions are 4 ounces of liquid.  A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.  There are 128 ounces in a gallon, or 16 cups.  so it takes four potions to equal a pound, assuming the containers weight is insignificant (unlikely in the day and age), so I go with each potion is 1/2 a pound.  Thus in a pouch, up to six will fit.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
I've just finished a potions illo for the upcoming HARP:Loot book. I've made it about the size of a soda bottle. But it all really depends on the GM IMO, some potions may need to be large others small. Perhaps it all depends on the type of spell or even the rarity of the components etc.
As to the size, shape and look of the bottle, perhaps certain alchemists have various trademark bottles like in the old days...which makes sense really, advertizing the reliability of their wares etc.

As to scrolls, that's pretty much like the above. I did a footer illo for HARP: Fantasy, and in my research they can be large or very small. The one I did for HARP was based on an African scroll that a woman had hanging from a necklace...it was small enough not to be a burden, it also was the ''tag'' version...you'll see it soon enough.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
First, I think you have hit upon a new great magic item, the dimensional potion bottle.
[Note: Just guessing on the Power]

Most Powerful: About as big as a soda cap (from the old days of 16oz bottles) just say the magic word and pop the top into your mouth to gets the potions effect.
 Powerful: A test tube sized container that holds potions/liquids of volumes of less than 12 oz.

As to question:
 As per potions I imagine them being the size of test tubes and thus small. But I could see a market for having potion's for sized 12-24 oz's another product called reduced potion with a size of 2-6 oz's. Of course the smaller sized potion cost a lot more then the normal sized potion.

I will have to think some more on the size of the paper and how many can fit into a tube.
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »
In my games, it varies. There may be some variations in potion recipes and the ability of the caster that can affect the volume of the potion.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
 From D&D I seem to remember a potion holder that fit on the inside of a bracer. This holder held two potions IIRC. If this is the D&D standard then potions in their system have to be fairly small in nature or held in some magic container.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »
Ever see the Twilight Zone episode were a merchant gives a potion that makes you a great shot for ten seconds?  The potion bottle was about the size of a small bottle of aspirin.  That is hoe I have always imagened potions to be.  Small squat square bottles designed to be as break resistant as possible, probably fired clay, possibly tin, glass or porcelain.  It could easily be hid in an adult males clenched hand.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
How large the volume of a potion may depend on it's concentration.

A small vial sized potion (like a modern test tube) may be thick, viscous and horrible, where a more dilute potion may be a quart.

How much of a potion you have to drink and the associated effects would be in the GM's hands. Its not easy to down a huge potion quickly.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
So if an 11' tall troll weighing 1286 pounds would need a potion how big?  thats 6x heavier than a beefy human warrior...so 24 onces?  there potion bottle would be the size of a pop bottle or large beer can.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:22 AM »
Potions are almost always portrayed as quite small in movies and written descriptions. A 1 fluid ounce potion would be about typical. Powerful potions are often dosed as 1 drop per use. I don't think I've ever seen a potion of soda can size.

Video game potions, for some reason are often portrayed as if larger, if only in the style of bottle used for the icon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:44:01 AM by rdanhenry »
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:03:11 AM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Yamma: Good idea about the "inventory slots". This would make things easier.. If only I would go for easy.

Arioch: That is a cool blog. I could use that. Playing the original Arena-The Elder Scrolls, I was impressed that every potion you viewed had different text. "You see an eyeball in a chunky yellow liquid". All the variables were random and each potion had a different description. I'll have to look into that more. Probably a .txt file somewhere..

Ironmaul: can't wait to see it.

markc: Yeah, scrolls are giving me trouble. Right now, I'm assuming 3-5 sheets of standard paper, thick. And that is the best paper that can be made. Most scrolls would be thicker. Rolling 3-5 sheets together looks like something I could use. But then again, some of my scrolls are on clay tablets, etc. Potion bracers sound short-lived.

kevin: I like the variability, too. I could see higher lvl potion spells able to concentrate lower lvl potions.

Usodrothek: Potions could have variable amounts but I don't want to make the standard variable up to a quart, mx. Potions contain spells and if the spell would normally affect the creature size, then it shouldn't have to be more liquid.
  Now, if a giant sized being made a potion, normal to it's size and a man-sized or smaller person tried to drink it, that could be interesting.

rdanhenry: A 1 oz potion?! I hope my players never hear about the notion. 2 tablespoons for a magic potion? A one drop dose would be powerful indeed. Depending on liquid weight/viscosity there are ~50-120 (water) drops per teaspoon. 3ts = 1Ts. 1Ts = 150-360 drops..

(This brings up another potion question. How do you control a potion with multiple doses? They could be labeled or marked on the bottle. Or you just instinctively drink the right amount. It's magic. )

Good ideas, everybody.  :)   
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
How do you control a potion with multiple doses?
By inventing pills?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
providence13,
 On a TV show I think I saw the perfect thing you need. A map case. The show was Hell on Wheels and they were mapping the route for the train line to take and had this perfect map case.
 I think in my game a fast casting scroll is going to need a special container to be in with some sort of quick access method and a scroll/map case would be for carrying the scroll inventory of the party.

Multiple Doses:
 You just have to guess right or buy extra bottles for each does as you should anyway. Chemists can make good money from blowing glass besides all of the squinty work.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
The main point of my post is to limit magic items that can be carried. If every character had a special map case that produced scrolls on demand, quivers that made it's own arrows and potion pills, I would loose my mind. Or maybe we could just play a high-tech game.  :-\

I want to think of this stuff before my players bring it to the game.

Olf: You're right. A bottle of aspirin would be a magic potion in a fantasy setting.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »
Olf: You're right. A bottle of aspirin would be a magic potion in a fantasy setting.
The point is that medicinal pills have been made and used in China for millennia and are, well, the easiest way to go for multiple doses, portability, conservation whilst adventuring, etc.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
No, I got you. I understand. But I don't assume all dose potions are pills. But pills are one way to handle the situation. Packs of powders, small jars of unguents, whatever.

I read an interesting effect of drinking too many doses. In Master of the 5 Magics (might have been Master of the 6th Magic..), a young wizard drank a potion of fire resistance. This insulated him from the heat of flames he had to pass through. But if he drank too much, then he'd be too insulated and would over heat from his own internal body temp. I might be a bit off from the exact story, but again, how do you know how much to take?
Even with pill potions, is it one pill or 2 every 4 hrs not to exceed 12/day. :)
There are many ways to handle it. Just wondered how other people did it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
The main point of my post is to limit magic items that can be carried. If every character had a special map case that produced scrolls on demand, quivers that made it's own arrows and potion pills, I would loose my mind. Or maybe we could just play a high-tech game.  :-\

I want to think of this stuff before my players bring it to the game.

I agree but a map case could carry more scrolls than a scroll case IMHO.
   I am going to go back and re-read the scroll info before I make any more comments.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
Potion bottles are about the size of a large fist and are fairly thick walled.  A potion bottle costs 10 go/each in Forgotten Realms, so they take some effort to break.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris