Author Topic: Haste and Stats  (Read 2298 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Haste and Stats
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »
  What I would like to see is some sort of restrictions/rules to haste based on stats. So for example you would need a Stat bonus of the following to use 300% activity: St +4, Ag +6, Qu +6, Co +8. Or something like that.
 What do you think of stat bonus min's to use higher levels of haste/speed? And what do you think (if any) the stat bonus's should be?
MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Haste and Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »
Instead of stat based, why not skill base?

So Adr Spd would provide a 5% activity gain per rank, max 30 ranks

Speed/Haste spells provide a +5% activity per weapon rank, max 30 ranks

Or no maximums if you prefer.  Spells could be 10% if a GM wants them to far superior to Adrenals, or vice versa.  Of course, for a High Powered game, no rank limit and 10%. 

Etc  :idea1:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
I hope it works out for your game! I do like the idea of incremental bonuses for Haste/Adrenal Speed.

I don't believe that Haste should be limited by stats.
For my games, even the wise elder Monk who is not as strong or healthy as he used to be can hit you many more times than any normal man. All he needs is a minute to center himself..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Improvement with skill could be represented via increases in increments.

So, 5% for ranks 1-10, then 10% for ranks 11-20, 15% for ranks 21-30, etc.

Be calculated with Adrenal Speed skill ranks or weapon ranks for spells, you would have haste more useful to those more skilled...as if it isn't already for the warrior with the higher OB, but tomatoe tomato.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
Haste %Act increase dependent on target?
Never thought of that before..

Don't know if the more skilled combatant needs it.  ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
It does make more sense with adrenal speed.  speed and haste spells could be based on ranks in list of the caster. 

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
I read the thread title and was hoping for some stat drains when getting hasted. Tough on your body the old haste.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
The old D&D aging you 1 year/Haste did give it perspective.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
I read the thread title and was hoping for some stat drains when getting hasted. Tough on your body the old haste.

I like that idea also. Or stat drains (that recover faster than every level) that accumulate if you either use Haste or cast Haste too much. Sort of like the addiction idea from providence13 (IIRC) but with more teeth.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
Or if you really think Haste/Speed is overpowered, you can just not use it.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
There's already a game mechanic for Con drain..
-1 Co/rnd Hasted, maybe?
IIRC, a completely restful (hospital setting) is +1 Co/day. Not likely for most adventuring in the field.
This could help to balance it out.

Alternatively, use the Stress crit chart or a penalty to MM. -10/rnd Hasted. That chart does get pretty mean if you roll bad enough for respective DR.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

When did this appear?  I never remember reading it.  Then again, I have not seen DnD since the very first editions back in ?1978.

Or, how about this idea?

Like me, in the past, and with my upcoming world, tell the players that the use of Haste shortens their lifespan by ten times the amount as the Haste spell.

In other words, if a Haste spell is used for ten minutes, then one's life is shortened by 100 minutes.

I know, that does not sound like a big deal.  However, if a character is hasted a few thousand times through his life, it could theoretically add up to shortening his life by several years.

Then players tend to only use Haste when absolutely necessary.

I did this because I found it to be a headache keeping up with it.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

When did this appear?  I never remember reading it.  Then again, I have not seen DnD since the very first editions back in ?1978.

Or, how about this idea?

Like me, in the past, and with my upcoming world, tell the players that the use of Haste shortens their lifespan by ten times the amount as the Haste spell.

In other words, if a Haste spell is used for ten minutes, then one's life is shortened by 100 minutes.

I know, that does not sound like a big deal.  However, if a character is hasted a few thousand times through his life, it could theoretically add up to shortening his life by several years.

Then players tend to only use Haste when absolutely necessary.

I did this because I found it to be a headache keeping up with it.

rmfr

In the DMG, were each spell in the game has listed notes for the DM.  Wish spells age you five years with each use.  Aging by haste and wish might not be noticed at first by users, though spell users of appropriate level would be bound to know (but not forthcoming with the details...why make your henchmen unwilling to use the awesome magic you offer?).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
  We had a house rule in highly modified D&D 1st in which Haste aged humans 1 year and Elves 10 years, other races value fell between those. But if you cast the Haste spell on another person you the caster aged 5 times that amount and the spells target aged the normal amount. The rule was in there for various reasons and it worked well and also gave the part a reason to search for age reduction items, herbs, magic or lead to PC retirement.
  For wish spells we kept it at 5 years do to how we thought the magic should work and all the in's and out's that a wish spell can cause the caster or wisher harm.
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.