Author Topic: Swapping category and skill progressions.  (Read 1389 times)

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
Swapping category and skill progressions.
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
I just swapped over the two progressions so now skills progress at -15.2.1.05.0 and categories progress at -15.3.2.1.0.5.

Anyone else done this? Any thoughts?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Swapping category and skill progressions.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
Do you have any final bonuses to show? Would be interesting to see how it changes how characters are developed.

My guess would be that this change matters a lot for professions that has a single cost high cost in non core areas. Makes it much more attractive to build those categories. For core areas of the professions I think it would change little since you normally double buy these skills and categories.

One thing you might want to consider is changing the penalty for no ranks. In my game I made the change of category progression to 0, 2, 1, 0.5, 0 and skill progression to -30, 3, 2, 1, 0.5. This had the very good effect that buying the categories become optional so you don't end in those silly situations when the player forgot the category rank and thus end with an unusable skill. Not sure if it would change your situation, but I think it is an idea that is worth to consider.
/Pa Staav

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »
I have wanted to try it myself.  We experoimented with progression bonuses in RM2 more than once.  Let us know how it plays out please.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
One thing you might want to consider is changing the penalty for no ranks. In my game I made the change of category progression to 0, 2, 1, 0.5, 0 and skill progression to -30, 3, 2, 1, 0.5. This had the very good effect that buying the categories become optional so you don't end in those silly situations when the player forgot the category rank and thus end with an unusable skill. Not sure if it would change your situation, but I think it is an idea that is worth to consider.

I think that mistake is a relatively minor occurrence, but the change you describe would significantly decrease your ability to use unknown skills that are closely related to skills you know. For example, the difference between a preferred and an unknown weapon in the same category will be greater. Is that deliberate?

I could even see doing the reverse....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:17:07 AM »

I think that mistake is a relatively minor occurrence, but the change you describe would significantly decrease your ability to use unknown skills that are closely related to skills you know. For example, the difference between a preferred and an unknown weapon in the same category will be greater. Is that deliberate?

We have done the reverse for select categories.  For example, simple weapons (crushing and thrown) have no penalty for 0 skill ranks.  It's worked well for us.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

One time is one time for many in my opinion. I have actually seen it happen more than once, the danger is only there when you start a new character and that is a pretty rare occasion. In my experience people starting out with a profession has lots to think of and tend to makes mistakes when in a hurry. The beauty of moving the penalty completely to the skill is that it makes the categories optional. In most cases you want the category anyway, but the player become more happy if they have a choice about it. 
/Pa Staav

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:56:20 AM »
This is without the change:

Weapon-2H             2   5   0   oo   9   18   24   10         52
     Battle Axe             2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         37
     Flail                     2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         37
     Lance                     2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         37
     Quarter Staff             2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         37
     Two Handed Sword   e   2   5   0   oo   13   36   *   *         88
     War Mattock             2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         37
     Unknown Weapon                  *   -15   *   *         37

And this is with the change:

Weapon-2H         2   5   0   oo   9   27   24   10         61
     Battle Axe              2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         46
     Flail                      2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         46
     Lance                      2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         46
     Quarter Staff              2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         46
     Two Handed Sword   e   2   5   0   oo   13     23   *   *         84
     War Mattock              2   5   0   oo   0   -15   *   *         46
     Unknown Weapon                  *   -15   *   *         46

I used the excel character sheet for doing this.

I'm not sure if it makes all that much difference, it just seems to show that PC's can attempt skils that they have no ranks in more easily.

Doing this change might also screw around with everyman and restricted skills.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:03:27 AM by RMDaisuki »