Author Topic: Rules question: Charging  (Read 1936 times)

Offline lwCoyote

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rules question: Charging
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
There is a section in RMC Arms Law for charging, but the rules surrounding it seem kind of vague. Specifically, how many % activity does charging use? Is it just movement+attack, or is there some other way of figuring it?

If just movement+attack, it seems like the purpose of it is to offset the penalty for using less than 100% activity in attack, that would be lost using %activity movement to reach the target. Am I correct in that?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Rules question: Charging
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
mounts move independantly of pc's activity.  however, a pc may need to spend some activity to control the mount, depending on many variables.

with a pointy attack, mounted attacks recieve a +1/ten feet of movement.  +1/twenty feet with a non pointy attack.

Horses also provide a bonus, from +10 for a pony to 30+ for a war horse (+45 is the highest I have seen).

Normally, the bonuses are added to the attck roll AFTER the maximum OB has been calculated for mounted combat.

A pc charging on foot gets the same ob mods as for mounted combat and only suffers 1/2 activity penalty for movement/  Finally, a charge must be basically a straight line.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline lwCoyote

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
The question was primarily for attackers on foot, rather than mounted. I shall review the mounted combat rules.

Offline lachancery

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:51 PM »
Here's how I have been applying the charging rules in RMC:

The PC has a 50' movement rate and the target is 35' away reachable in a straight line. In order to have an attack, normal or charging, the PC must be running (2x movement); walking to the target would be a 70% activity (35'/50').

If the PC runs to the target and attack without charging, the attack would be at -35 because the movement is a 35% activity (35'/100').

If the PC charges in, he gets +35 to OB because the "final approach" is 35'. The charge effectively negates the penalty from the movement. The PC also gets a penalty of -35 to his DB, the same as the bonus to the OB.

In this example, the PC's decision is whether to go offensive (charge attack +0 OB, -35 DB) or defensive (normal attack -35 OB, normal DB).

The OB bonus differs from the movement penalty when either a) the movement required in the round is not all in a straight line to the target or b) the PC's base movement rate is different than 50.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:37 AM »
If you were using tables with damage caps for weapons I would remove them.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
This is how I treat charge attacks:

• The attacker must choose a Walk, Jog or Run pace (Run is default in our combats).  Sprint and faster requires too much focus, and a moving maneuver roll.
  • The party with the longer weapon attacks first.
  • The attacker cannot parry.
  • Both parties get a bonus of speed/10 to the attack, doubled for pole arms (from SoHK).
  • If the defender has a pole arm and wins initiative, he can brace the pole arm to do double damage (a form of delaying).
  • If the attacker keeps moving and passes by other opponents, they can make an attack as well, provided they won initiative (again, a form of delaying).

Admittedly, I play RMSS, so YMMV.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
I thought there was some sort of guidance about this in RoCoIII, but I might be wrong.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »
RMX has charging rules.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.