Author Topic: Spells and Creatures  (Read 1312 times)

Offline arunwe2012

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spells and Creatures
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »
Hi all,

I have always had this doubt about spells and creatures: do they follow the standard rules to cast them? I usually play in Middle Earth and there are creatures there that use spells (barrow-wights, dragons, etc), and always assumed that they cast them as instantaneous spells with no roll or preparation needed, using their level to calculate bonus attacks. How do you handle it?

Offline Jacinto Pat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spells and Creatures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Depends upon how I see the creature casting it.  If the creature is intelligent and using magic deliberately (say a dragon) then I have them cast spells just like a character.  If the creature is not intelligent, and the "spell" is more or less like a reaction then they can cast it as a instantaneous spell. 

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
The term "spell" might not apply well to a creature with innate magical ability.

If the spell is an innate power that is used by reflex or instinct, then no casting style seems appropriate and going with instantaneous/at will/x amount of times per day seems appropriate.

If the spell is learned through study, a style of casting seems inherient to study and normal casting rules should be used.

It is also possible that innate magic could be have a casting style, such as if magic is more a talent than learned but still follows the "rules" of spells.

The Wights in my game have inheirent talent with cold magic and never need prep it, but cast with notmal rules otherwise.  Remember, the power of GM fiat is your freind.  Just be consistant.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
I concur, and I'd draw the line in the description, like if it says "And spits fire (use firebolt +50)" then it's a spell-like effect, while if it's "And can cast any spell from fire law to it's own level (PP = level x 3)" then I treat it as spell casting.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
I concur, and I'd draw the line in the description, like if it says "And spits fire (use firebolt +50)" then it's a spell-like effect, while if it's "And can cast any spell from fire law to it's own level (PP = level x 3)" then I treat it as spell casting.

I second the nomination...  Ooops.  I concur.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.