Author Topic: warrior mage spell lists questions  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Faustized

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
warrior mage spell lists questions
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:07 AM »
Hi i have some question around warrior mage spell lists:

first of all i found this in FAQ :
Magical bonuses are not cumulative with non-magical bonuses. [10/22/99]

The Armsmaster personal weapon is an explicit exception to this ruling [R, 10/24/99]
Is this true also for "Blade"  in "Warrior's weapon" spell list? Can i enchant non-magical and magical weapons, also artifacts ? what RR do theese items get ?A lot of spells in this spell list are F does this mean that i must do an  RR vs my weapon each time i cast a spell?

Spells like "Displacement" and "Mirror image" from "Combat illusions" spell list can be used toghether? Assuming that spells are not cumulative  ,50% to miss from mirror image and 30% from displacement III does not give an 80% to miss in one round,what spell effect work first? can i choose it?

Being "Battle Awareness" spell istantaneous  can i cast it when Gm ask me a roll of battle awareness skill?

My very first character is dead falling from the stairs the first time I played ... since then I have not left RM :D

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: warrior mage spell lists questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
The magical bonuses would not stack. The armsmaster is an exception, the warrior mage is not.

In case of the same sort of spell, especially from the same list, the results never stack, just use the highest miss chance.

The battle awareness spell is a good catch! Personally I would allow it, unless you've been casting other spells that round, already, but I could see how it might be abused.
The GM is in his right to demand that if you want to profit from the spell, that you must have cast it beforehand. I liken this quandary to the deflect spell and its ilk. Normally one would have to state that if he wants to benefit from it, that he uses it for that round (in the declaration phase). I think it would be ok if someone is on the look out for missile fire and when he sees a bowmen, that he prepares to cast the deflect spell. In this light I would be ok with an instantaneous casting of battle awareness. Also I would allow it to be held for an opportunity action.
Game On!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Just my opinions, not RAW.

Battle Awareness: In my games, Combat Awareness is 10%Act if the players actively look around. If I ask them for the roll, then it's 0%Act. The reasoning is that the skill is also used for %Act remaining after a "surprise" situation. If you are surprised, teleport, ground ripped in two, the maneuver roll is the amount of %Act remaining for the round. It doesn't make sense to penalize you for a roll which might already limit your %Act.
  If the player states "Is this guy, bleeding, stunned, getting ready to drop my buddy, sneaking up on the Mage, etc." then that is 10%Act for the PC because they're taking %Act to actively look around.

Using this spell is 10%Act, because it's an instant, but it gives you +25 to Combat Awareness (Situational Awareness, Combat). The spell states specifically that the maneuver is granted and you don't have to declare it as one of your 3 actions for the round. You do only get one spell/round, as normal.
  If you cast it when the GM asks for a roll (it is an instant..), then you're getting a +25 bonus, but that's your spell for the round.

"Displacement" and "Mirror image" from "Combat illusions": I wouldn't be against using all of these but I wouldn't let them be cumulative. There are three separate spell effects. I don't think you'd choose. It would be FIFO. First in, first out. The initial spell effect, then the second, third..

Magic item Blade spells has come up before. Different people have success allowing it or not.. Your game may vary.
The Blade spell is similar to a familiar.. a bit. It only gives you a bonus and really sucks if you ever lose it! For everyone else it provides a penalty. I'm not against the Blade being magical, already, but I would enforce an RR. Magic Blades in my world would resist any alteration in their effect. Check out Bladerunes.
  I'm not against a Blade spell being cast on a rusty piece of crap sword that you find after being imprisoned in the goblin caves for a month. You've lost your other 'Blade and this is all you can find while busting out of jail. The sword is -10 due to poor upkeep/quality but the spell makes it "a +X magic weapon". This gave more people (here) headaches, if I remember, than anything else.  :)
The same argument can be made that the spell does not stack! The spell makes it "a +X magic weapon". It is no longer what it was and is now.. this. Thus the RR.

Just my take on things.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
Just my opinions, not RAW.

Battle Awareness: In my games, Combat Awareness is 10%Act if the players actively look around. If I ask them for the roll, then it's 0%Act. The reasoning is that the skill is also used for %Act remaining after a "surprise" situation. If you are surprised, teleport, ground ripped in two, the maneuver roll is the amount of %Act remaining for the round. It doesn't make sense to penalize you for a roll which might already limit your %Act.
  If the player states "Is this guy, bleeding, stunned, getting ready to drop my buddy, sneaking up on the Mage, etc." then that is 10%Act for the PC because they're taking %Act to actively look around.

Using this spell is 10%Act, because it's an instant, but it gives you +25 to Combat Awareness (Situational Awareness, Combat). The spell states specifically that the maneuver is granted and you don't have to declare it as one of your 3 actions for the round. You do only get one spell/round, as normal.
  If you cast it when the GM asks for a roll (it is an instant..), then you're getting a +25 bonus, but that's your spell for the round.

"Displacement" and "Mirror image" from "Combat illusions": I wouldn't be against using all of these but I wouldn't let them be cumulative. There are three separate spell effects. I don't think you'd choose. It would be FIFO. First in, first out. The initial spell effect, then the second, third..

Magic item Blade spells has come up before. Different people have success allowing it or not.. Your game may vary.
The Blade spell is similar to a familiar.. a bit. It only gives you a bonus and really sucks if you ever lose it! For everyone else it provides a penalty. I'm not against the Blade being magical, already, but I would enforce an RR. Magic Blades in my world would resist any alteration in their effect. Check out Bladerunes.
  I'm not against a Blade spell being cast on a rusty piece of crap sword that you find after being imprisoned in the goblin caves for a month. You've lost your other 'Blade and this is all you can find while busting out of jail. The sword is -10 due to poor upkeep/quality but the spell makes it "a +X magic weapon". This gave more people (here) headaches, if I remember, than anything else.  :)
The same argument can be made that the spell does not stack! The spell makes it "a +X magic weapon". It is no longer what it was and is now.. this. Thus the RR.

Just my take on things.

I essentially rule as above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.