Author Topic: Which Rolemaster combat round do you use? (Poll)  (Read 8132 times)

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Which Rolemaster combat round do you use? (Poll)
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »
I voted RMSS since it's basicly that one with some slight modifications.
Removed the declaration phase and you declare at your turn your actions for the round and the round instead last until your next turn with the start of the Snap Phase. Once I have gone through the intitative order I go to next phase and so on. Any leftover percentages after all phases have passed can be used for moving as per RAW.
So for example the last person in a round can't declare parry until his turn but then when he has declared parry. Gives an interesting tactical option whether to Snap Action an attack/parry just to get some Parry OB in there but with a -20 to OB if you are slow. This way fast characters can put some pressure on on slower ones.

Have been working quite well and give a chaotic feel to combat since you don't know what someone will do until it's his turn.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »
Once you get used to a second by second system it is hard to go back to others, IMHO. This is because if you like realism then the others seem very fake.
MDC

I played RM2 with a second-by-second system, but when RMSS came out, switched to its more abstract round.  Both have worked well.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
We used a second by second round and it worked well. Maybe slow at times, when there are many combatants, but very cinematic. There was a standard time for each action taken directly from converting % of action in a ten second round to a number of second. E.g.: 90% activity = 9 seconds. It could be then modified with your Qu bonus for physical actions or a combination of SD and In bonus for mental actions (spell casting). The length of the weapon is also a modifier (and why not another one for the AT?). We were still limited to one spell per ten seconds (to avoid over casting of instant spells).

When two combatants would hit at the same time, both would roll and apply results. You can end up having the two being incapacited after that!

I know the bonus used give an edge to some characters' classes but this was agreed upon by all the players.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.