Author Topic: Real-world explanation of RM combat  (Read 1911 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Real-world explanation of RM combat
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
There's a show coming soon to the National Geographic Channel called "Knights of Mayhem".  They are going to explain exactly what it feels like to try to fight someone while you are wearing 140 pounds of plate mail armor.  (They describe their sport as 'full-contact jousting')

You can get more info here:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/knights-of-mayhem
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Real-world explanation of RM combat
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:52:33 PM »
I've watched three episodes.  I'm kinda disappointed that National Geographic has resorted to "Reality TV" in the overly dramatic, let's get together some people that will start fights sense.

Brief review from my perspective: The interesting bits about the actual armor, jousting, horses, etc are just barely enough to keep me watching despite the utter juvenile drama and chest pounding testosterone displays.  Put an ape suit on the main character and just have him grunt a lot and you really wouldn't lose much content.  Ok, I'm being slightly unkind... but not very.

The one thing that both impresses me and makes me think they are daft at the same time is they are using full on hemlock poles (maybe 2" think at the point) not something like balsa wood or another super flimsy material.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »
Most of the renfaire and society folks I know hate that show, says it gives them a bad rep. . .I guess people from Jersey likely feel the same way about "Jersey Shore".
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »
140lbs. of armor?  Sounds like they haven't done any serious research.  Jousting armor during the late Middle Ages was significantly heavier than normal "field" platemail, but 140lbs. seems a bit much.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »
That's funny... as someone who has done ren faires in the past I didn't automatically associate these yahoo's with them other than the fact that that's where they were holding their competitions.  I can see the average person thinking these are medieval faire people.  Which is silly... most medieval faire people are nerds not dumb jocks. :)  (I kidd.. I kidd...)
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
So, Cory, you're saying that faire folk really are dumb jocks?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »
So, Cory, you're saying that faire folk really are dumb jocks?

No, the guys in Knights of Mayhem are the dumb jocks.  The ren faire people are the nerds. :)

We had this funny conversation at work one day.  A girl was asking myself and one other guy about RPG's.  She was saying how she thought they were bad for various reasons that we easily pointed out were hypocritical or just outright incorrect.  During the course of the conversation I said "Well, normal people think table top gamers are weird. Table top gamers thing LARPers are weird" - I then turned to my co-worker in the conversation and asked "Who do the LARPers think are weird?" to which he replied "Normal people."
- Cory Magel