Author Topic: Do you use any extra skills?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do you use any extra skills?
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
As the title says. Have you added in any extra skills to those listed in the book?

I was reading a post earlier and someone mentioned interrogation as a skill. Unless it's in another book, i can't see that in the core rules.

I'm using a skill called Protective Wards.

It's very specific for my setting. There are spirit-type creatures called the nameless ones that appear when it's cold enough (usually at night) They can be held at bay by a runic circular ward. All the different cultures are taught how to draw a basic ward at an early age. Sylvan cultures are adept at drawing the wards, a natural talent.

I've also added diplomacy to influence skills.

Have you added any skills?  :)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Do you use any extra skills?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
I sometimes let assassin characters develop "silent kill" from rmss… but thats mostly it.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
I've added a few to round out a few of the skill lists:

Intimidation - you could say this is part of duping but being tricky isn't necessarily the same as being threatening. (SOCIAL GROUP)

Leadership - basically leading groups of others sometimes executing group maneuvers (SOCIAL GROUP) such as a coordinated ambush or stealth maneuver.

Teamster - Covers the operation of wheeled vehicles. (OUTDOORS GROUP)

There were a few others, I'll take a look when I have my campaign notes in front of me.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
I've been trying to split the PP development skills for tapping mana (Personal, Granted, Ambient, Fixed) into 4 different skills, none of which are in the Mystical Arts category. I thought it would help define and personalize spellcasters more.

But I can't say I'm impressed with my success thus far, either.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
We've only added new Spells. Although, my players routinely "invent" and invest in interesting lore and craft skills.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:04:13 AM by jurasketu »
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline fatalot

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
Well, I think there is a need for some kind of "Social Awareness", ie. "Detect Lying" or "Psychology".

We have tried using some of the existing skills, but it just really doesnt fit! I think we will call it "Social Awareness" - the be more abstract/ broad spec. (in the spirit of Harp).

Btw: Silent Kill is a part of Ambush - "killing and escaping from a foe, stealthily." (quote rulebook).

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Note on ambush/silent kill: I believe that ambush is a way to gain an advantage when attacking a foe (adjusting the critical by # ranks in the ambush skill)… not preventing your opponent from making a sound if attacked/killed… but that is only me. I like the skill and see it as separate from ambush, even if it is intended to be included in the ambush skill, it also gives certain types of archetypes an advantage, which I like as a plot device. It works for me and my players. I am in no way suggesting it should be introduced into the game officially, as it is not needed in all types of games.

An insight skill, i.e. detect lies and such, would be nice in addition to perception… although what category? Influence? General?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
One thing I did was add a category called Awareness with a single skill Perception. i did this because I wanted to separate this skill out and place it into a category that can never be favorited.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
An insight skill, i.e. detect lies and such, would be nice in addition to perception… although what category? Influence? General?

One thing I did was add a category called Awareness with a single skill Perception. i did this because I wanted to separate this skill out and place it into a category that can never be favorited.

Maybe Perception should actually be several skills in several categories. If the Harper has +70 in the Influence skill, Perception, and the Ranger has +70 in the Outdoor skill, Perception, and they both roll exactly the same... they still don't get the same information from what they perceive in the tavern, nor what they perceive in the woods, do they?
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
Crystal-Matrixing, a Magical Skill. Campaign has Energy-Crystal powered devices, as well as the option for combining different types to get PP for spells.

For example, someone casting Obscuring Mist  could use a Water or Air Crystal.

Say that Kingpin Lar-Lar (Actual character from my last campaign) was casting his spell, and he needs a doozy. Chased by rival pirates, he needs to obscure just which estuary cove he has hidden his sloop within. Spell:8PP,Deep Mist+3, Radius_30', +6PP,Range +100', +2 PP,
Duration 1 minute/rank, +8 PP, for a total of 27 PP.

Now, Kingpin has been fighting hard, and only has 22 PP left, but he happens to have a bag of Air and Water Crystals that he has been saving for this sort of emergency. He has 20 PP in Water and 10PP in Air crystals

He has no time, as they are bearing down on him, so he works hastily (-30), In  addition, he is trying to combine more than one type of energy (-20). At least they are stabilized (Worked) Crystals, as opposed to some that he just found...

His bonus with C-M is +85, he rolls a 43, -40 in mods (Above, for a total of 88=80% on the MM table. Of the 30 Points stored in the crystals, he successfully (the rest disperse) tapped 24 PP...leaving only 3 needed from his natural reserve. Let's just hope that those rivals don't have any goggles loaded with the appropriate Crystals to see through his Mist...

-Uriel

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
I am about to introduce Channeling (also taken from RM) for the cleric(s) in my group.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!