Author Topic: Damage to items  (Read 924 times)

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Damage to items
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:20 AM »
Bit of a minor detail here, but i like the cantrips that mend rips in clothes, repair nicks on your sword, repairs the binding of a book, etc

In the past i have included such minor details in my games, but not very often. (I've had a PC running through some brambles and his cloak was ripped)

I've played systems before that had a resistance roll against various attacks, such as a leather backpack against a fireball. I'm unsure whether to bother with that much detail, i don't want the PC's having to mark off damage for backpacks and cloaks  ;D

What would be the easiest way to have this minor damage in a game?
Or do you think it's best to avoid it?

If possible I'd like to avoid the GM just randomally inflicting this damage on a whim

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Damage to items
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
Most of the time, I leave it up to the crit tables. It happens enough that someone has their "items of cloth and leather destroyed" or "organic armor damaged" that I don't worry about any other rules.

I like the realism of backpacks and non-magical scabbards, boots, etc. making RR's vs Fireballs but I, nor my players want to make that many rolls every time. 

The players do cringe when crits read general equipment/item damage. Then I get to pick. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
That's a nice idea with the crits (idea point) unfortunately i've rewritten all the crit tables. I've got teeth being knocked out, and black eyes forming, but i left out most of the "organic armour is destroyed" crits.
I could easily add a single letter in the corner of some of the crits to indicate item damage.

For weapon damage i could use the fumble table.

Most of the time, I leave it up to the crit tables. It happens enough that someone has their "items of cloth and leather destroyed" or "organic armor damaged" that I don't worry about any other rules.
So if a PC has his magical cloak damaged, do you rule that it stops working until repaired? or half as effective?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:34 AM »
For magic items, I make an RR. I do have to keep track of the spell lvl(s) required to make the item, but we generally use 12 to 15th lvl for "average" magic items. Other campaigns might need higher lvls to create/embue. I don't allow partial effects from items, but other GM's might in their game. Have fun with yours. :)

On a similar note, a Light spell in the general area will give you a big bonus to spot someone wearing a cloak of hiding; for instance. IMHO, a Fireball should have a better than average chance to negate the effect even if the item makes its RR. They can always activate the item again if its a Daily or Constant.

Careful with the Fumble tables.. Getting hit with a Lightning Bolt, for example, may be bad enough. ;D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"