Author Topic: Market for new spells?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Market for new spells?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
OK.
How about pg 95 OfEs, OfMe, OfCh under Time- or or pg 274 Spell Law.

Some people just advance in lvl, Rank, weapons, etc, when they spend the DP. Other GM's might like to use training time. Each game's different.

Happy gaming! :)

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »
 If you are using Instruction skill you can cut the time required to learn by how good the skill was rolled.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
OK.
How about pg 95 OfEs, OfMe, OfCh under Time- or or pg 274 Spell Law.

Some people just advance in lvl, Rank, weapons, etc, when they spend the DP. Other GM's might like to use training time. Each game's different.

Happy gaming! :)

I'm looking for ways to bypass the "Research" Stage by some form of Trade.  The Idea sprung from reading about research, it's length and cost....  It makes sense to me that if someone went through this process, they might wish to offset the expense of their "Research" by selling the newfound knowledge.  It's a fundamental drive in all economies.

My biggest problem with "training" a character is the abrupt halt to the game and story line.  I haven't come across a way to incorporate someone spending weeks or more in training, while the rest of the party twiddles their thumbs....  If it were absolutely necessary, I would let a character "Drop out" of the story for a while and return, but I'd much rather find an alternative.  A book can be studied each night and each morning and applied to skills already known, at level up time, they get a few dp's into that skill, and they keep studying morning and night, eventually level, get a few more dp's in there... by the third "level up", possibly more (depending on the spell) they should have the adequate skill for the new spell they desire.

I don't have any problem with the rules regarding the research or training, I am simply looking for an alternate way that won't interrupt the game flow....

None of this is official, but I think it's fair to the system, and the players....

what do you think Providence and Mark?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:14:05 PM by mightypawn »

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
I don't have any problem with the rules regarding the research or training, I am simply looking for an alternate way that won't interrupt the game flow....

I can understand that, and yet the need for practice in such an exacting and unforgiving skill as I assume magic to be... I can't see doing away with it entirely. I'd guess the solution would be to find a mechanic to assess the risk of someone practicing a spell with which they are not yet fully conversant... as well as assessing the risk to those in his vicinity.

"Sure, you can learn that new spell while you and your party are out in the wild... but don't blame me if the fighter kills you out of hand the first time you fumble it practicing in camp."

;)

Important safety tip: Don't learn new fire spells until the dry season is over.  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 02:17:38 AM »
Well, learning a spell that fills a gap in a list you already know to or past that level is different than learning new spell lists or higher level spells on a list than previously known. In filling the gap, you already have the background knowledge, the general principles, and fundamentals in technique. It's just a specific application that you need to learn. It should be relatively quick to learn.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
True, but even then I'd expect at least one day where it's not really safe to be around you, as you go through the crucial, "Oh okay, it works like this, not like that" phase.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 09:42:35 AM »
I hear ya Grumpy! 

I'll make sure a few "unfortunate" events happen during the "Learning Curve"!  Hey, GM's gotta have their bit of "Fun" too!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
Personally I think you can get a lot of ideas just by thinking about what happens when the spell in question works exactly as advertised, and then saying to yourself, "Okay, but what if you're wrong?"

The cool part is that it works with pretty much any spell at all.

Bless.

Perceive Power.

Healing spells. Hoo-ha.

Hold Kind. That one provides some really ugly opportunities.

A lot of cruel fun can be had by having a spell work too well, too.

;)