Author Topic: SM: P Tech Law VM 2-4 CVC Rules Determine Minimum Crew (22) p. 117 Part 1  (Read 1186 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I was able to come up with the same numbers as the example, which is a plus for me. I was, however,  puzzled when crew requirements were calculated for drives, comm rigs, sensors, EW, defensive screens, and power sources after having established that this design has a crew of 2 from VM p. 97.

Example: Gary wants to make a 1 00 metric ton TMAC (Two-Man Assault Craft) This is for a straight tech level 25 society.

I really became puzzled when Step 22 stated that the 9.351 general techs + 1 gunner + 3 pilots + 0.1 general personnel only applies to a craft in constant use, which the TMAC fighter doesn't fit since the craft goes out on missions and returns for high level maintenance. This was a good exercise showing how to determine minimum crew requirements, but the TMAC wasn't the best example to use in my opinion.

The example used the phase "constant use", without a clear definition of a time frame that I could find. I am guessing that "constant use" is greater than 50 hours in the SM: P universe based on the following text from the first Note on VM p. 117.

If a craft is meant to operate for more than 50 hours, it cannot qualify for a single crew member.

I'd like to recommend modifying the determine minimum crew process based on the more than 50 hour requirement as defined in VM Steps 25 and 26 on p. 117.

My preferred placement for establishing whether the craft is for short term (<=50 hours) or constant/long term (>50 hours) use would be in Select Vehicle Type (1).

Short Term use Step (22) would require a minimum crew of 1 and not require any further calculation for the vehicle's operating crew. However, the crew requirement listed in Steps (6), (7), (14), (15), (16), (17), (21), and (22 Gunnery Tech, General personnel or additional crew) might be added for support crew. Steps (34) Fighter Bays and (35) Vehicle Bays on p. 119 might or might not be needed.

Constant/Long term use would follow Step (22) criteria as written on VM 117.

An alternate solution would be to select between constant/long term and short term use at the beginning of Step (22) instead.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:37:18 AM by snrdg051306, Reason: amended comment on "constant use" »
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
IMHO that is also a very good addition to the rules.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks MarkC of course what makes sense to me may be out to lunch for others.

I've got a couple more items, which can be seen in the spreadsheet sample you have.

Currently Step 1 steps the basic parameters of vehicle type and tech level. I'd suggest adding a couple of other items such as:

1. Select if the vehicle is built by the ISC, Empire, or a non-aligned species. Based on the volume of space I feel that there are still intelligent beings in the SM: P universe waiting to be discovered which is why I included non-aligned species.

2. Is the vehicle primarily used by civilian, military, or paramilitary organization. The family car is an example of a civilian vehicle design. The TMAC is of course a military design, while a police vehicle is paramilitary.

3. Setting budget, power, and/or crew requirements in Step 1 are other options to consider. Trying to build a design with one or more these items has been a challenge. My biggest downfall is budget, I am more often over budget especially on military designs. Sounds kind of like the real world;-).
Tom R

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Excuse me if this is a silly question, but if <50 qualifies for a single operator, how does that mesh with the example being a two man fighter?

Also, I think there must be some standard beyond that, to avoid "My 20,000,000 ton dreadnought is only operated at under 50 hour cycles, so is operated by a single pilot."
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The only silly question is the one not asked.

The TMAC example is just like fighters today a pilot can fly and fight but has limitations. Having the second person splits the duties.

Yes there is a standard which is you need the GM's approval per SM: P VM. Sorry, I don't have my books available, my computer has a failing hard drive so I'm using a different computer. (Note any spelling errors are due to not having a spell checker on this computer)
Tom R