Author Topic: SM: P and Magic  (Read 1346 times)

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM: P and Magic
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
Hi

My setting starts in 1933 and rages on into the far future... But my setting also includes magic alongside psi. To my mind, SM: P is the best option for core system, but I am stuck on how to add magic.

I am looking for advice on how to add RMFRP magic to SM: P games. Is it a simple matter? How might it most simply be done?

Can anyone offer help?

Regards
UbiRat

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM: P and Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
It should be real simple; just add the professions that deal with magic or, if you want to have the magic work similar to the psi, then you can port in the HARP magic, just modifying the cost to be more like those in the psi categories.

Or you can just modify the psi professions and call them: magician, wizard, etc...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »
just have one realm of magic: essence.  All list are essence list.  Base list train at 8/8/8, closed at 6/6/6 and open at 4/4/4 for ALL professions.  If you wish, a PC has to buy a talent that allows them to cast magic, as in GURPS.  You could even stage the talent (able to learn Training Package list at 2/2/2, Open List at 4/4/4, etc, say 5 talent points, 10 tp, 20 tp and 30 tp respectively).

That is the easiest way.  Additionally, PC's have to find their magic spell books to study, or buy them, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
 I think it can be done in an easy way and a hard way. The hard way is to convert all the RMSS professions to SM:P category system and add magic categories to SM:P, then add skills. I have changed my skill system to add Magic to SM:P but I have not done any conversion of professions. You still have all 3 realms and base lists with this system and the addition of the SM:P Psi system. The easy way IMHO is to adjust the Psi and semi-Psi to fit then profession you want in magic terms. This is sort of like the first version but you only do it on the fly and can alter things as you go.

I would need to know a little more about the game world to provide some info on if I would ask for a talent to be bought to play a spell caster or Psi PC. I like it in some situations and not in other situations.

Good Playing and Have Fun
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:20:01 AM »
My Dark Reich setting begins as an alternate WWII setting with magic awakening in the world. I want to have room for Mages, Priests and Mentalists. As the setting will go on into the far future, I was uncertain whether to use RMFRP or SM:P but, looking as SM: P, the professions and way it already accommodates firearms and high tech gear makes it appealing. In some ways I can take or leave the Psi, but it fits with various alien species and I can see Humans learning it too. The biggest problem is that, being newish to RM, I am struggling with how to adapt things to fit my setting.

Some more basic info on the setting magic can be found here: http://darkreich.com/blog/?p=43
Things are very new and fledgling, so flexibility exists.

Hope that helps people to help me out.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
Doesn't either Black Ops or Pulp Adventures have modern professions with magic dev costs?  If you have a book that does you could crib the costs from there and just match them to the professions they are most like.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
  Yes Pulp Adventures has magic costs but I am not sure about Black OP's. IIRC Pulp Adventures has two costs one for a low magic setting and one for a higher magic setting.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.