Author Topic: Potion  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Potion
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
May be, that didn't get along well together with the discription how to resolve a attack from a spell or fomula potion.

In the book colleges of magic, page 51:

Code: [Select]
The Alchemist must also expend his own Power
Points to bind the spell effect into the alchemical solution.
The number of PPs required equals the PPs for the base
form of a spell. For a formula potion, the PP cost depends
on the effect (see below).

Where is the description of the effect?

For the example below, how to rule in the game the effect of the waiting magic in the potion for the young maiden?
I throw dices and what i´ve to add or substract?
Example: Morgana has been asked to create a love
potion by a young maiden at court. This will require the
aspects of Control (20), Mind (5), and Emotion (10 x 2
for being the second Object Aspect = 20). Range and
area of effect are both Self (5) and (5) with an intended
duration of one day (130). The total cost is therefore
185 points, which after dividing by 10 and rounding up,
is 19 PPs. The required occult ingredient is an aphrodisiac
such as the essence of pearl oysters. Each pearl
oyster contains 1 PP of Fixed Mana - Morgana requires
at least nineteen to meet the minimum PP level of the
ingredients. If the potion is to engender love for the
handmaiden herself in its imbiber, Morgana will also
need three drops of the maiden’s blood.

Offline Elessar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Potion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »
Elemental Attack spell : use CoM p51 table 7.1 modifiers for OB : 1D100 + OB (= modifier) - target DB

Attack spell (RR) : 1D100 + 50 on the RR column of the maneuver table. For example, i'd rule for potion for the young maiden : 1D100 + 50 = result on RR column. If the target loses his roll (1D100 + bonus RR Will < result on RR column), he falls in love with the maiden. Sometimes, i also use table 7.1 modifiers for bonus RR (especially with formula potion).

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
Elemental Attack spell : use CoM p51 table 7.1 modifiers for OB : 1D100 + OB (= modifier) - target DB

Attack spell (RR) : 1D100 + 50 on the RR column of the maneuver table. For example, i'd rule for potion for the young maiden : 1D100 + 50 = result on RR column. If the target loses his roll (1D100 + bonus RR Will < result on RR column), he falls in love with the maiden. Sometimes, i also use table 7.1 modifiers for bonus RR (especially with formula potion).

Why +50?? And what does we added to the W100 if Morgana prolonged the fomula potion puting more mana into the potion?

For a formula potion, the PP cost depends
on the effect (see below).

What does it mean with "below"?

Offline Elessar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
See CoM p.51
"For Potions and Charms with an Attack Spell Effect, make an open-ended roll on the RR column of the maneuver table with a +50 bonus".

When this bonus isn't what i'm searching for, i use this rule, found on p.52 :
Many formula potions provide bonuses to skills and maneuvers. For each additional +10 bonus (after the 1st +10) per skill, add 20 points to the cost of the potion, e.g. a Potion of Jumping gives a +50 bonus that costs 80 points (+50 - 10 leaves +40, for 4 x 20).

For me, casting an attack spell with an open-ended roll on the RR column is a maneuver. So i use this rule to let my players create formula potions with attack spell (RR) +70, +100, etc.

Below means that in a formula potion, you create your effect with aspects and attributes, and after calculate the cost of each. This is described p.51 Formula Potion, and p.32.