Author Topic: Rolemaster Product Suggestions  (Read 14553 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Rolemaster Product Suggestions
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
The TGAs have been strong sellers for us, and we do have several good people embarking / preparing to embark on module development for generic fantasy and for Shadow World and Cyradon.

More module proposals always welcome.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
"Introduction" or "example", sure. A fairly large volume of modules/adventures that are all generic enough to be cut and pasted in anywhere.... that one sounds tricky.

Goodman Games, with their line of modules called "Dungeon Crawling Classics" have done it pretty well. In fact, they have created a fantasy campaign setting to fit the adventures AFTER releasing 30 modules. Now they have more than 50 modules and campaign boxes, all of them are stand-alone and world neutral.

But how can you be sure that they didn't have that setting in the back room all along, and just didn't release it until after they decided there was an actual market for it?

As I mentioned before, most of the "generic" stuff TSR put out actually came from settings that either hadn't been published yet or were prepared especially for tournament play. Having done some module design and the like, I've always found it difficult in a fantasy setting to come up with something catchy unless I have a world or setting framework in the back of my mind while I'm designing. Granted, the players may never see all the backstory stuff, but you can be sure it's there.

The experience I had with my group when we customized the RM system to fit my world has really convinced me that you need a strong setting to get people hooked. This group had been playing "normal" RM for some time, but once we tweaked the rules to fit a system, and got that in-depth world in play, our fun factor went way up. And as a player, I've always enjoyed the more immersive factor that comes from a good setting.

I have to admit I've never been a fan of RMSS/RMFRP. We got it when it first came out, and I never enjoyed it as much as RM2 (using the core books and stuff from Companions 1-3). I found that stuff that worked with RM2 just didn't balance right with RMSS. But, like all things gaming, YMMV.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »
The TGAs have been strong sellers for us, and we do have several good people embarking / preparing to embark on module development for generic fantasy and for Shadow World and Cyradon.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Those are indeed good news.

Do you have GCP policy on agreements/contracts for freelance writers available anywhere?

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
I think the thing is that RM is so unique in its spells and combat etc... that you need to write a module starting with RM is mind, not adapt other games to it.....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Those are indeed good news.

Do you have GCP policy on agreements/contracts for freelance writers available anywhere?

In essence, if you have an idea for an adventure scenario or a full-blown module, send me a short outline of what it would be about, what systems you can write for, etc. I may need to bounce it around my various line editors to ensure that it fits with everything else we have going on.

For scenarios up to 5,000 words (and occasionally longer) intended for a Guild Adventurer issue, we pay one US cent per word within 30 days of publication of the product. For standalone modules, it will typically be a royalty arrangement.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
I just played a DnD app on FB.  It was a classic I go You go set up.  The program was fairly straight forward, a hack fest primarily, yet well done.

Any chance ICE could create such an app?  The audience is large. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2011, 02:23:50 AM »
I just played a DnD app on FB.  It was a classic I go You go set up.  The program was fairly straight forward, a hack fest primarily, yet well done.

Any chance ICE could create such an app?  The audience is large.

Apps and computer programs are more in the bailiwick of Aurigas than GCP. Any Facebook apps, however, that Aurigas/GCP do (or more probably sponsor) will be targeted at the rpg end of the world. One of the lessons of Hot Money is that games that don't fit the interests of your customer base, let alone the zeitgeist of the general Facebook community, will flop completely and utterly.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
Cool beans.  Just watching and wondering.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2011, 05:24:32 AM »
Hi all, Any news on any printed products anytime soon?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

I think Nicholas HM Caldwell said it would be after all of the re-branding was done. IIRC they are moving on to the Spacemaster Privateers products and then back to the RMSS/FRP products before moving on to making sure the products are formatted correctly for print on demand. 
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »

There are at least two streams that will deliver printed products. One is via Craig who can turn his attention to putting some products through the print-on-demand process as soon as he is well enough to finish off the residuals on HSFX. The other is via the rebranding programme which has the Spacemaster line and some remaining RMSS/FRP products to get into pdf first.

A third potential stream is via the RMSSification of existing Shadow World products but it is still less advanced than the others.

My job is basically ensuring that each stream keeps chugging away while carrying on with my own work on HARP Fantasy, which will become another layout/publication stream.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »
So nothing but old wine on new bottles is planned for Rolemaster, then?
Nothing new under the sun, I guess.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »

I think the powers that be can answer this better than I but from what I head is that as soon as the re-branding is done then new products are going to be produced.
 I know that The Guild Companion has asked for submissions for ideas and if you have one I would submit it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2011, 05:55:50 AM »

Not true. There are RM adventure modules planned as indicated upthread and a number of other projects are being worked on that are not yet at a stage for public announcements.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »
So, the wine is aging :)

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »
I recieved an email from DriveThruRPG.com regarding teaching your kids to game... has some good advice and tips. I can't find a direct link to the article but I'm sure 90% of you guys have it anyway.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2011, 05:09:33 AM »
Good article.  There was a link to an external site on the 5 W's of roleplaying too.