Author Topic: RMSS vs RMFRP  (Read 4637 times)

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
RMSS vs RMFRP
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
Hi all.
I have all the RMSS books (I used to run RM many years ago).
I also have the core RMFRP book.

As I said I used to rum RM (RMSS) many years ago (and before that RM2, currently called classic I believe), so I know that system fairly well.
On a whim a few years ago I bought RMFRP to see what it's like.

To me RMFRP looks like a sort of intro to RM which can be built up with various other books (the 3 spell books, arms law and player companion).

My question is, since I have all RMSS books, is it worth taking a serious look at RMFRP at all?

Are the rulesets essentially the same?

www.chaos8.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMSS vs RMFRP
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
  IMHO the rules are essentially the same and you do not need to do anything. I use my RMSS books instead of the copy of RMFRP and have no problems as I like more info at my finger tips.

If you have any other Q's please post them.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Great thanks, that's sort of what I figured.
I just wanted to make sure.
I love the layout of RMFRP though and it's nice the the core book is a hardback as well.

I hope to get a gaming group together to play RM.
I used to run HARP some years back as well (I have all the HARP books as well).

I currently run Pathfinder actually (a derivitive of DnD 3.5) , as I just couldn't find players for HARP.

I've recently decided to look over the RM rules again to see if I want to make the effort to try and get a RM group together, as it's probably better known than HARP.
Actually, apart from character gen, RM really isn't much more complex than HARP and I get to keep the proper weapon tables (which I love). I know HARP has some enhanced weapon tables as well (in the codex?), but I kinda miss running RM.

I guess I'll stick with RMSS, since I have everything for that anyway.   
Now to see if I can dig up some RM players  lol .

Thanks for the info. :)

www.chaos8.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
ICEwebring has this very detailed break out of all the differences:

http://www.icewebring.com/rmss-vs-rmfrp/
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
The only RMFRP book that is amust buy if you have all the RMSS books is CHARACTER KAW.  This is because the Talent Law is essentially reprinted here and is much more balanced.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
Wow thanks for that link, it was a very interesting read.

Well after reading all that, it did make me more tempted to have a closer look at RMFRP.
But after some thought, I will stick with RMSS.
It looks to me RMFRP has similar information spread out over more books.
I personally prefer my rules in as few books as possible (with the exception of the Essense, Channeling, Mentalism books being separated, which is a great idea).
There are quite a few differences between the rules, but nothing major that would tempt me to actually buy a new rules set.

Actually having said I had all the RMSS books, that's not true at all.
I meant to say core rules, being RMSS core book, Spell lore, Arms lore, plus non-core being firearms lore, underground races.

I don't have the talent lore which in that link seems to say it's one of the more central books.
TBH, after reading about it, I'm not sure I particularly need it, although I'll probably buy it if I see it in a games store just for a read.

I also don't have any of the other many expansion books (apart from the ones I mentioned), but I don't really need them either.

www.chaos8.com

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
The only RMFRP book that is amust buy if you have all the RMSS books is CHARACTER LAW.  This is because the Talent Law is essentially reprinted here and is much more balanced.

Is Character law/Talent law really that good/worth getting?

www.chaos8.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
The only RMFRP book that is amust buy if you have all the RMSS books is CHARACTER LAW.  This is because the Talent Law is essentially reprinted here and is much more balanced.

If ya have not been using Talen Law, then no.  If you like Talent Law, then yes, as it is a major improvement.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
If ya have not been using Talent Law, then no.  If you like Talent Law, then yes, as it is a major improvement.

Ah ok, well If I see Character Law then, I'll probably grab that and take a look and won't bother with Talent Law.
www.chaos8.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »
 Based the the books you listed above I would recommend you looking at the 3 Comp, the Chann Comp, Ess Comp and Ment Comp. They each have some great material for a game for players and GM's both.
 I also do not know if you are going to be creating you own world, using someone else's or building from the ground up. If so you may want to get the Chann Comp and use that in your world building detailing your clerics and priests. There is also an article on the Guild Companion that details other non-channeling professions worshiping deities. I do not know the name but it also is worth checking out IMHO as it also adds a lot more flavor to the game world.
 Another big game changer IMHO is adding combat styles to your game as it allows Pure Arms users some bigger bangs at later levels vs spell users, ie multiple attacks. The rules are listed in the RMC Combat Companion but they can be used for RMSS/FRP.

MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:21 AM »

If ya have not been using Talen Law, then no.  If you like Talent Law, then yes, as it is a major improvement.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Character law/Talent law makes character generation a lot of fun and add a lot of flavour to the characters.

If you have (so called) power players in your group and that is percieved to be a problem, then it might cause some troubles, as talents may change the balance of the game.

Here is a lengthy discussion on talents:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=4715.0
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:03:42 AM »
Based the the books you listed above I would recommend you looking at the 3 Comp, the Chann Comp, Ess Comp and Ment Comp. They each have some great material for a game for players and GM's both.

So the Ess, Chan and Mentalism companions are more than just spell books then?

I also do not know if you are going to be creating you own world, using someone else's or building from the ground up. If so you may want to get the Chann Comp and use that in your world building detailing your clerics and priests. There is also an article on the Guild Companion that details other non-channeling professions worshiping deities. I do not know the name but it also is worth checking out IMHO as it also adds a lot more flavor to the game world.

I'll be using Shadow World.
I still have the boxed set from MANY years ago. I may well buy the latest version as my version is probably somewhere in the region of 20 years old I think.
I hope I can buy the paper version though I just hate PDFs.

Another big game changer IMHO is adding combat styles to your game as it allows Pure Arms users some bigger bangs at later levels vs spell users, ie multiple attacks. The rules are listed in the RMC Combat Companion but they can be used for RMSS/FRP.

Wasn't there an edtion of RMFRP that came in a sleeved box or something?
I'm quite tempted to get the RMFRP books anyway, it's not like Roleplaying is an expensive hobby really. If I just buy the various RMFRP books I'll be sorted for another several years  :D

www.chaos8.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
So the Ess, Chan and Mentalism companions are more than just spell books then?

The RMSS versions, and the reprinted RMFRP versions, of the "Channeling Companion", "Essence Companion" and "Mentalism Companion" are different than the "...of Channeling", "...of Essence" and "...of Mentlism" books.  Be careful about that when buying them.  The "...of XXX" books are really just Spell Law broken down into parts.

The "Companion" books actually introduce new Professions, Spell Lists, and other various optional rules.  You might want to try and find the "Martial Arts Companion" also as it introduces fighting styles that can help out the flavor of fighter types.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
Ah ok, I don't really need extra material really (the companions), I'll be happy with the spell lists that the "of XXXX" books provide.
Actually I'm happy enough with RMSS Spell law, that provides all I need for magic.
I'm not really a fan of lots of extra content, I feel the core rules provide everything I need.
I'll still grab Character Law one day for a read though.

www.chaos8.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
Unless you're comfortable making your own new professions up you might look at the ones presented in the books.  Just my personal favorite thing about expansion books... the new professions that is.  Not to plug my own book out of biased, but if you want to be able to create customized Clerics (or "Priests" as presented in the book) you might check out the Channeling Companion at least.  That way, if someone wants to play a pure channeling cleric/priest they have a way to make it not quite so generic.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
It might worth a look if/when I end of running RM again and a player wants to go down that road.
What with the ownership issues with ICE atm, will there still be paper versions of the books being printed in future or will it go PDF only?

I expect the books will be available in old stock in shops for some time anyway mind.
www.chaos8.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
It might worth a look if/when I end of running RM again and a player wants to go down that road.
What with the ownership issues with ICE atm, will there still be paper versions of the books being printed in future or will it go PDF only?

I expect the books will be available in old stock in shops for some time anyway mind.

Whatever they have or obtain the rights to will be printed in PDF I'm sure, but I believe there is a 'print on demand' method they are planning to utilize.  I suspect the printed versions of the books would be slightly more expensive that way, but I really don't know much about it.  People could also buy the PDF and print it out, but it would be nice if some 'professional' quality printed books were available.
- Cory Magel

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
I'm not really a fan of PDF versions of RPGs. When I run an RPG I like to have a physical book present that I cna flip through.
I just find it difficult to navigate my way through a PDF.

These "Print on demand" copies. Will they be printed in a "professional" style book, or will it be just some print house printing it out and sticking it in a plastic folder?
www.chaos8.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
BTW, Combat styles are no in RMFRP or RMSS basic books but only in the Martial Arts Comp (MAC) or in RMC Combat Comp (CC).
 IMHO as I said above it gives pure arms PC's a big boost at higher or mid levels to help them out vs spell casters. ie something to look forward to by buying ranks instead of just more OB.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
These "Print on demand" copies. Will they be printed in a "professional" style book, or will it be just some print house printing it out and sticking it in a plastic folder?

They will be genuine books and subject to the page count and whether we've used colour interiors or not, you will be able to choose whether you want them perfectbound softcovers or hardcovers.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme