Author Topic: Canceling an Action  (Read 1283 times)

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Canceling an Action
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
Each round you declare your action at the start, then when it gets to your turn in the initiative you act out your chosen action.

There must be certain situations where you can no longer do the declared action, and you wish to cancel it and do something else.

I can't find any rules for canceling actions. Do you rule that the character loses his action for that round, or does anyone have any house rules?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Canceling an Action
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »
AFAIK the character simply loses the action for the round.

Offline Elessar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »
For me, character loses his action.
If the character wants to cancel or change his action because of "external" facts (he wanted to strike a foe at his initiative turn, but this one is yet dead for example), sometimes i let him choose another action with restrictions (movement at 1 x BMR, perception roll without malus, etc.).

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »
sometimes i let him choose another action with restrictions (movement at 1 x BMR, perception roll without malus, etc.).

That's the sort of rule i was considering house ruling Elessar  ;D (nice to see another person with a LotR name)

The GM can rule it either way, both seem reasonable. Using your example of ..."the character is in melee combat. His action was some form of attack (let's say he chose Power Strike) By the time it's his turn all enemies in base contact are dead. There are still enemies around"
The GM could decide;
a) the character is surprised and spends the round assessing the situation
b) the character sees the NPC drop and is able to react and do something else.

I had a similar idea to you. I was thinking, if you cancel an action you may;
1) take a different action at -50 (with some actions the penalty won't make a difference because it's a mundane action requiring no roll  eg. character takes a herb, drops a weapon)
2) character may move at BMR (or maybe half BMR)

Offline Elessar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:09 AM »
sometimes i let him choose another action with restrictions (movement at 1 x BMR, perception roll without malus, etc.).

That's the sort of rule i was considering house ruling Elessar  ;D (nice to see another person with a LotR name)

The GM can rule it either way, both seem reasonable. Using your example of ..."the character is in melee combat. His action was some form of attack (let's say he chose Power Strike) By the time it's his turn all enemies in base contact are dead. There are still enemies around"
The GM could decide;
a) the character is surprised and spends the round assessing the situation
b) the character sees the NPC drop and is able to react and do something else.

I had a similar idea to you. I was thinking, if you cancel an action you may;
1) take a different action at -50 (with some actions the penalty won't make a difference because it's a mundane action requiring no roll  eg. character takes a herb, drops a weapon)
2) character may move at BMR (or maybe half BMR)

I agree with this.
In such cases, situation (on hex maps) generally determines the opportunities, but movement at 1xBMR, or using a skill at -50 are acceptable for me.