Author Topic: SCSM and bonuses from "partial" to "absolute success"  (Read 1089 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SCSM and bonuses from "partial" to "absolute success"
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »
One the SCSM table, as on all other static maneuver tables, there are bonus asociated with the various degrees of success. E.g. a "success" yields a bonus of +20 (denoted "+20->" on the right side in the table).

Does these bonuses apply to directed spell attacks and BARs?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Re: SCSM and bonuses from "partial" to "absolute success"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:13:13 AM »
In my game, the answer is a resounding NO.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
If you refer to the rightmost column of the Static Maneuver Tables, these AFAIK are used for complementary maneuvers. E.g. you could allow a Culture Lore (Elves) SM to assist in the interrogation of an Elf (perhaps not the best example, but I hope it at least helps to illustrate what I mean  ;)). The bonus column in the Static Maneuver Table could then be used for determining a modification to the Interrogation maneuver (possibly being halved or doubled etc. before getting applied).

Concerning SCSMs and directed spells or BARs I don't think that the SCSM is a roll for a complementary skill but rather a necessary requirement for being able to cast at all. Therefore I don't think the bonus should be applied to the DS or BAR roll.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:08 AM »
It does make you wonder why they were included at all on the SCSM table then.. unless casting the spell is complementary to something else.

The passage at the base of p.139 (RMSS) is vague enough to allow either "This gives a modifier to a subsequent related action on the part of a character. Note this modifer may only be applied to an activity that is both immediate and integrally related to the manuever that yielded this result". But follows it up with... "Note: The GM may determine that this modifier is inappropriate to a particular subsequent action, whereupon it should be ignored."

Personally, based on this, I'd be quite happy (with no quibbles) to accept it either as  a bonus to the casting check on a following spell if a similar spell is attempted immediately afterwards OR as a modifier of one of the tables used as successfull result of casting the spell.

What this would mean is that spells requiring use of the SCSM table (opposed to those cast automatically) will usually provide bonuses or fail completely... perhaps if the GM is concerned about this a simple -20 applied to the result of spells cast requiring SCSM, these allows for a more approriate range of results, with a small bonus for those casters exceeding 176.

However, I'd be more in the favour of the "Risk brings reward" school of thought and that using the SCSM at all is indicative of a degree of "experimental on the fly" casting... where the effeciency of the spell can actually be increased by avoiding the "tried, tested and dependable" route...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:12:36 AM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:06:57 AM »
It does make you wonder why they were included at all on the SCSM table then.. unless casting the spell is complementary to something else.

The passage at the base of p.139 (RMSS) is vague enough to allow either "This gives a modifier to a subsequent related action on the part of a character. Note this modifer may only be applied to an activity that is both immediate and integrally related to the manuever that yielded this result". But follows it up with... "Note: The GM may determine that this modifier is inappropriate to a particular subsequent action, whereupon it should be ignored."

Personally, based on this, I'd be quite happy (with no quibbles) to accept it either as  a bonus to the casting check on a following spell if a similar spell is attempted immediately afterwards OR as a modifier of one of the tables used as successfull result of casting the spell.

That was how we reasoned as well. However, as our mages have gotten pretty high DS-skills and often end up in close combat, we've been seeing directed elemental attacks with results of +/- 150 before the dice is even rolled, which caused us to think applying these mods is too powerful.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
Sure, why not.  Or any Power Manipulation to follow too.

I had a GM that let spell users use Directed Spell OB to Parry with, as he reasoned the spell user could throw a wave or fiire or an arc of electricity to defend himself/make the npc move/miss/whatever.

I've tried it.  It works.  Of course, mages run out of pp pretty quick at 6pp spent a round (or more).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
It's funny that this table is missing that side in RMFRP; it's cut off. The weird thing is that I've seen it on every other Static Maneuver Table in the books but never on T-4.5 . Never noticed it was missing.

You could use it on Power Manipulation-Spell Mastery, or the next spell from that List, perhaps. Apply it to the next roll that is pertinent for casting that spell.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"