Author Topic: Why d'you choose RMSS/FRP over RM2/Classic?  (Read 4159 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Why d'you choose RMSS/FRP over RM2/Classic?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Mark, thanks!  I had already grabbed a copy of the TP creator sheet, which IMHO is how TP costs should have been defined from day one.  I don't see a master TP cost chart on the errata board, if you have a chance to provide a link, I would be grateful!

Here it is: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item187

Sadly, if you run all of the TPs through the formula provided in the TP creator sheet, you do not get the same costs as are on the TP Master Cost List.  Some of this is probably due to my correcting some of the TPs (some TPs assign ranks to combined progression categories, assign skills to the wrong category, etc) but there are plenty of other cost differences that do not have any obvious reason.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
#1 Reason I use RMSS (RMFRP) is because that is the first version of RM I used as a complete system.  We played heavily customized/modified D&D for many years (using some of the RM supplements), then played MERP (rhymes with BURP), and then just moved completely over to RM by chance just as RMSS was beginning.

#2 Reason I use RMSS - RM2 had developed into a monster. Unless you "grew up with it" it was simply a mess, firstly in terms of organization, proliferation and straight up redundancy and secondly in power balance.

#3 Reason I use RMSS - It's simply designed somewhat better - the skill system being a good example.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Rose

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 03:52:21 PM »
All the reasons so far stated are valid. I started RM with RM2, but as I began my own game, I ran it with RMSS, and simply had no desire for the others. RMSS had a excellent skill system, combat was lethal and made you think about your actions. The only thing I found I would of liked to see, is a level free version, and piece by piece armor, though I hear that is now dealt with in the Arms companion. I just hope RMC does not become the monster that RM2 became at the end.
The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blödmannsgehilfe and Mad RPG Collector
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
… one of the reasons is the really excellent new german edition of rmfrp. Good to read, fun to play and nice producers :)
Currently DMing:
13th Age - Citystate of the Invincible Overlord
Fear Itself - Cthulhu adventures
Traveller - Tripwire
Rolemaster – Rise of the Runelords

Offline Steel Rabbit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I eat words for breakfast.
    • Playing Non-Stop
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 04:45:30 AM »
I choose RMSS because when I lived in Germany I saw the German Rolemaster on the shelves, and have always been intrigued by the game. I bought them all, and as it turns out it's RMSS. Therefore, I play it.

Not to mention I was underwhelmed by the RMC books.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 11:50:48 PM »
Nice Avatar Steel Rabbit "THE CALLING AND THE CARDINAL!!!"

Anyhow, what I eventually realized is that the Standard System was the game I loved and Rolemaster was its unfortunate legacy issue that made it clunkier than it needed to be.

And then I knew I'd run my last ICE game.