Author Topic: Your current RMSS campaign...  (Read 15519 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Your current RMSS campaign...
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
Perhaps when it catches on, the ICE forum might provide your own child board ;)

All he has to do is ask....

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Consider it asked, then.  Maybe if I have a place to post details, I'll actually do so instead of finding other things to do...
I'm good at that.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Consider it asked, then.

Consider it done..

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
And my first post is up. Thanks Rasyr.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Ravenheart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
In reply to original thread question:

We are playing with Rolemaster RMFRPG/RMSS hybrid rules, spiced with a lot of house rules. Setting is the world of Glorantha.

Campaign has been going for some seven years and the characters which we converted from RuneQuest to level 15 are now at level 39-42. I run the game and I got seven players in my group. Since some of you might be interested of their professions, here you are: A Witch, Paladin (of God of Destiny), Armsmaster, Shaman, Elemental Fire Mage (and priest of Lodril, God of Volcanoes), Fighter and Mythic Warrior which is our custom profession - champion of the Elder Law God.

For anyone who knows Glorantha, those characters are mainly cult heroes, in year 1623 which is advent of Hero Wars. Hero Wars will change the world and at level 40 you got nothing to do in the biggest events where the heroes like Jar-El-Razoress, Harrek the Berserk and Red Emperor are well beyond level 100 and they've got armies to support 'em.

So we're playing very high-level game but fortunately, players are excited in every game, fearing for their lives and constantly running at challenging situations.

Nowadays, as I'm about to have my second child, as a GM I'm excited to move some of our gaming to IceVerse since I guess that our 1-2 on-the-table gaming sessions in month are history for a while.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Ravenheart;
 Great to hear I am always interested in how high level games go as rarely do I get above 20th but have other things that up the power level.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ToM

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Would-be barbarian
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
In reply to original thread question:

We are playing with Rolemaster RMFRPG/RMSS hybrid rules, spiced with a lot of house rules. Setting is the world of Glorantha.

Campaign has been going for some seven years and the characters which we converted from RuneQuest to level 15 are now at level 39-42. I run the game and I got seven players in my group. Since some of you might be interested of their professions, here you are: A Witch, Paladin (of God of Destiny), Armsmaster, Shaman, Elemental Fire Mage (and priest of Lodril, God of Volcanoes), Fighter and Mythic Warrior which is our custom profession - champion of the Elder Law God.

For anyone who knows Glorantha, those characters are mainly cult heroes, in year 1623 which is advent of Hero Wars. Hero Wars will change the world and at level 40 you got nothing to do in the biggest events where the heroes like Jar-El-Razoress, Harrek the Berserk and Red Emperor are well beyond level 100 and they've got armies to support 'em.

So we're playing very high-level game but fortunately, players are excited in every game, fearing for their lives and constantly running at challenging situations.

Nowadays, as I'm about to have my second child, as a GM I'm excited to move some of our gaming to IceVerse since I guess that our 1-2 on-the-table gaming sessions in month are history for a while.
Level 40 campaign working fine?
This must be the first time I heard about something like this.
The game I've run for 2 years or now has characters around 13th level and I'm scratching my head all the day to figure out what to throw against them to make game challenging and interesting...
"For no one in this world can you trust, my son. Not men, not women, not beasts. But steel... THIS, you can trust!"

Offline Ravenheart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
We've modified the rules a bit and we have a campaign that's been going on from -92 or -93, that makes about 18 years. Four of original characters are still breathing :) So old an campaign means that we're not necessary playing a short scenarios of dungeon hacking. I too would have a hard time explaining how in the hell such a dungeon could exists with all those sky-high-level monsters lurking in there for centuries without no-one paying any heed.

In our campaign the characters have some rivals and enemies dating back to start of the campaign. They too are still alive and well, coming against PC's every now and then. They are also around level 50 now and very powerful in their own right. Both parties are wary of each other and do not confront each other directly, unless it is absolutely necessary since everyone's now fighting for some bigger than personal gain. Funnily, PC's don't anymore bother for magical sword's and stuff. Our paladin, for example, when in need of sword just goes in his cathedral's armory and get his hand on the first sturdy looking sword he sees (many reasons for this, actually). Our god worshipping characters use most of their magic points thanking their god, and be very careful when asking something. :)

In short, our playing has gone more and more towards ROLEplaying where the gamesystem is secondary aspect. When we actually need gamesystem, like in battles, we use VERY intensive and tactical approach, that is based on Rolemaster Companion IV's Action Point system, with heavy modifications.

About our rules (a few points)

- Individual spell development, very dangerous spell failures (automated casting fails 1-5, SCMR bonus = realm bonus + 30 + d100 + various bonuses). Result is that everyone casts spells only when really needed.
- Spell Resistance System that allows a low level magic users to do some bad stuff against anyone, given time (Magical language etc)
- RR vs. poisons & diseases: Character level always 1 whereas poison & disease levels can be sky-high.
- Combat Styles from Combat Companion wisely used can cause very much trouble to high-level characters.
- Highest penalty (task difficulty, wounds, hits, fatigue etc) is always a percentage.
- Shield is a situational obstacle, so it is also percentage (if it is a highest negative modifier)
- fatigue penalties are the real pain, and fatigue increases fumble range. Weapon Fumbles are copied from RuneQuest, so everyone fears those like hell and get some rest every no and then even taking turns in tight battle.

For example a our lvl 40 paladin with +325 OB gets a arrow wound on his leg resulting -30 penalty. His OB drops down to 0.7x325= +228 which of course is still a huge number, but against three or four 5th level fighters who use every trick in the book, can be really dangerous (leg wound severely hinders movement, so while two fighters parry for their lives, one maneuvers behind to seek a free strike on back).

To go on, in our campaign the PC's are now heroes (meaning, ruling class) of their little nation (some 25 000 citizens). Their problems are in bigger scale, like how to get resources, diplomacy with much bigger and war-like neighbor and sometimes even warfare leading their tiny army of some 3000 warriors. We use of course War Law in such things, what a great supplement!

Offline ToM

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Would-be barbarian
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »
Very good explanation and seemingly good house-rules too.  ;)
Non my cup of tea yet, but again, looks very very interesting.

BTW: you do really HAVE players/characters from 18 years ago? That is really great. I can't count all the parties I dismembered and the players lost. Right now, at least, one of my players is a friend of old who started playing with me back in 1992, and other 2 long-time fellow gamers dating back to 2002 or so...
"For no one in this world can you trust, my son. Not men, not women, not beasts. But steel... THIS, you can trust!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Ravenheart sounds like you are using RM2 and not RMSS from the skill #'s or have you modified the skill ranks in some way?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Ravenheart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »
ToM: We are mostly using RM2, with some bits taken from RMSS like SCMR, spell listst and so on. We don't use skill category development for example. I prefer old professions. It's hard to tell which rule is from where and what is our house rule :)
We are really using 18 years old characters. I can tell you, they really have a life in our REAL LIFE's also.  ;D Sometimes someone dies, but usually to wounds after a battle has ended (those criticals taking life after 12 rounds of agony or so). Everytime other characters have been succesfull in bringing them back to life. Nobody really takes any fool risks, since dying means in our games that it takes months to get back to health, no matter how powerful Life Giving used. Also, remembering we are using Glorantha setting, dying is there a little different thing, each death developing association with Death rune, which is basically a bad thing, if you are not worshiping Death god.

Marc: Yes, RM2 system with 5/4/3/2/1 rank development. This way the character really develops those skills he is good at like fighter developing fighting skills and not taking some obscure hobby since rank development seems to stop in his preferred and cheap skills. I don't mind sky-high fighting skills. There's more in life than fighting, anyway. My players know this also.

In Glorantha at least, with Heropath in mythic past, there is always someone with better skills and the GM doesn't even have to think how it would be possible. It just is that in HeroQuesting you have to sometimes fight against impossible odds, no matter how powerful you are since the myths scale. But that's not a place for debating Glorantha's special aspects. It's a fantasy setting for every power-level imaginable. We started playing RuneQuest as rookies, converted very high-level characters to Rolemaster since RuneQuest rules break down with skills over 100% or so. Rolemaster has no such roofs.

Like in last summer's campaign, when the characters went to saving imprisoned minor earth-goddess. Her jailer was a patriarch vampire, his creation dating back to time before Glorathan's sun rose from hell (at one time, Sun God was dead in Gloranthan mythology). This means a vampire at least 1623 years old. He was at level 140 and devastatingly good at almost everything. Characters, with month's preparations, using every favor they got, browsing through their citizens treasures, using divine magic, managed to free earth goddess. They couldn't slay the vampire (nowhere near), but he was later slain by Earth Guardian, which goddess summoned after regaining some of her magic. Three characters got one leg severed, one had arrow buried in his lungs and others carried wounds that took a long time to heal. Patriarch's second-in-command is still there at his citadel, 90 level vampire lord, and through he is happy being a self-appointed leader, he of course hatches revenge. Characters fear like hell even a thought of confronting such a monster.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2010, 10:12:16 AM »
Campaign Rules:  RMSS/Homebrew and background through Heroes of Legend

Setting:  Dark Fantasy, very moccob and perpetually dark.  Players are somber with very little goodness in the world.  There is a potential to revive a long dead faith which could bring the light back to the world.  Man has lost his way, the dwarves and elves and left the world and don't want anything to do with it.  The dwarves closed all of the tunnels and the Elves have erected guardians and force walls around all of their forests.  Some intrigue maybe to gain the demi-humans aid.

The human kingdoms are being assaulted on all fronts, the Wolfen are systematically folding all human kingdoms into theirs as the evil kingdom of Thargos (think jihad) is killing all good people and paladin/priest types as they seek to enslave the world.
The players are going to come from one of the assaulted kingdoms and can then decide how to intervene, go after the Wolfen, the Darkun or seek the great faith to bring aid to all!!!

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
We've modified the rules a bit and we have a campaign that's been going on from -92 or -93, that makes about 18 years. Four of original characters are still breathing :) So old an campaign means that we're not necessary playing a short scenarios of dungeon hacking. I too would have a hard time explaining how in the hell such a dungeon could exists with all those sky-high-level monsters lurking in there for centuries without no-one paying any heed.

In our campaign the characters have some rivals and enemies dating back to start of the campaign. They too are still alive and well, coming against PC's every now and then. They are also around level 50 now and very powerful in their own right. Both parties are wary of each other and do not confront each other directly, unless it is absolutely necessary since everyone's now fighting for some bigger than personal gain. Funnily, PC's don't anymore bother for magical sword's and stuff. Our paladin, for example, when in need of sword just goes in his cathedral's armory and get his hand on the first sturdy looking sword he sees (many reasons for this, actually). Our god worshipping characters use most of their magic points thanking their god, and be very careful when asking something. :)

In short, our playing has gone more and more towards ROLEplaying where the gamesystem is secondary aspect. When we actually need gamesystem, like in battles, we use VERY intensive and tactical approach, that is based on Rolemaster Companion IV's Action Point system, with heavy modifications.

About our rules (a few points)

- Individual spell development, very dangerous spell failures (automated casting fails 1-5, SCMR bonus = realm bonus + 30 + d100 + various bonuses). Result is that everyone casts spells only when really needed.
- Spell Resistance System that allows a low level magic users to do some bad stuff against anyone, given time (Magical language etc)
- RR vs. poisons & diseases: Character level always 1 whereas poison & disease levels can be sky-high.
- Combat Styles from Combat Companion wisely used can cause very much trouble to high-level characters.
- Highest penalty (task difficulty, wounds, hits, fatigue etc) is always a percentage.
- Shield is a situational obstacle, so it is also percentage (if it is a highest negative modifier)
- fatigue penalties are the real pain, and fatigue increases fumble range. Weapon Fumbles are copied from RuneQuest, so everyone fears those like hell and get some rest every no and then even taking turns in tight battle.

For example a our lvl 40 paladin with +325 OB gets a arrow wound on his leg resulting -30 penalty. His OB drops down to 0.7x325= +228 which of course is still a huge number, but against three or four 5th level fighters who use every trick in the book, can be really dangerous (leg wound severely hinders movement, so while two fighters parry for their lives, one maneuvers behind to seek a free strike on back).

To go on, in our campaign the PC's are now heroes (meaning, ruling class) of their little nation (some 25 000 citizens). Their problems are in bigger scale, like how to get resources, diplomacy with much bigger and war-like neighbor and sometimes even warfare leading their tiny army of some 3000 warriors. We use of course War Law in such things, what a great supplement!

Do you have your house rules that you could send me.  These look very realistic and something I might be interested in implementing.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
 Highest penalty (task difficulty, wounds, hits, fatigue etc) is always a percentage.
For example a our lvl 40 paladin with +325 OB gets a arrow wound on his leg resulting -30 penalty. His OB drops down to 0.7x325= +228

That makes Difficulty Ratings very tough on characters. cool.

What made you decide on having everyone save as a 1st lvl character vs poisons?
I'm not against it. Makes sense in a level-less way.

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
I would also suggest that you send your House Rules to ICE and they will put them in the Vault for everyone to take a look at.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Ravenheart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:47 AM »
What made you decide on having everyone save as a 1st lvl character vs poisons?

We felt that level up wasn't such a thing that makes one more tolerant to poisons.

I understand level-ups in very abstract way. Characters just live their lives, gather some experience in daily life or while adventuring and develop their skills and spells. I don't for example, allow any level-ups during tight scenario, only afterwards when the character has time to learn of his experiences, like say, after a few days of rest. Of course, learning spells and spell portions require the actual time spend either with books (essence), temples (channelling) or in spiritworld (mentalism). In case of E-portions for example, it would take weeks to pray long enough to get such a great gift from the god (or some very challenging quest of faith).

Gandalf970 & marc:

I'd love to share our house rules, but unfortunately most of the stuff is written in Finnish and poorly edited, I fear. For a time being, I prefer to participate in different topics concerning rules, sharing that way our experiences in different fields.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
I've played where characters could only level in a similar fashion; only level during a long break in the game.

Right now, I'm trying 2 games without experience. I just tell the party when it's time to spend 100 DP, which is generally around 3-4 games. Kind of fast, but the progression helps gather data on other minor changes to the game. Since both games play 1/month, it would normally be pretty slow progression, but every game is different.

I hear what you're saying about the 'level doesn't help with poison issue'. But I also understand the argument for using "obstinant experience and perspicacity that's not based on SD". The more times you encounter poison X, the better you fight it off, kind of thing.

Not using Body Dev could be a similar argument and it could have merits. Maybe using something based on Con and SD, or just a flat X for everyone and use the crit charts along with exhaustion.
Hits from crits could even be a percentage system. But we use  RAW hits.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"