Author Topic: HARP for Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Desert Adventures?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Boah_Agonar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
HARP for Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Desert Adventures?
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Would this work? I am thinking of Dark Sun style worlds. With Psionics. Have not looked at my HARP book in a while, but can it handle psionics?

Thanks!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP for Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Desert Adventures?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Sure, you just decide what powers you want the psions to have and you can build them just like spells, only their classification would be psionic not magic, or channeling. For inspiration you could look at SM:P and a bunch of the Mentalist lists for powers. I would suggest sticking with non-mass area affect powers, though. Easy, just a bit of work in writing hem out.

If you are going for the full Dark Sun feel (and I cannot blame you one iota, there) you could also bring in mutations in the form of talents.Like scaly hide, where the character has rough scaly skin grantng him a DB as well as better water retention, and possibly some protection from the scorching rays of the hot, hot sun.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »
I might be mistaken but I think the upcoming HARP Sci-Fi will contain Psionics?
I am sure that it could be looted for powers and used in a Dark Sun-like fantasy enviroment.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:13:25 AM »
Harpsf includes psionics.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Harpsf includes psionics.

That's just what I wanted to suggest, check out HARPSF it has psionics. Otherwise I do not see where the problem should lie with using HARP in a Dark Sun-like setting.
Maybe you could report how it goes once you have started.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Viktyr Gehrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Head Full of Angry Bees
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
HARP Sci-Fi has psionics and mutations in it, which can both easily be adapted for HARP. AfterWorlds will have more psionics and mutations in it, along with rules for starvation and dehydration which would be important in a Dark Sun like setting.

There is also a Dark Sun adaptation for Rolemaster making its rounds around the Internet.

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
Another option would be the Chi powers presented in HB8 (or there abouts, forget the actual bazaar it was in.)  It's real easy writing up new powers after getting an idea of the current ones.

One problem with the sci-fi psionics is some of them just won't work so well in a fantasy setting.  IIRC, there's an entire discipline devoted to electricity and affecting electrical equipment.  While it's the canon on HARP psionics it might need more work to port to a fantasy setting.

In the end I think developing a psionic mechanic in a fantasy setting is going to take work.  IMO I think the chi powers provides the least amount of work, among some other opinions on magic vs. psionics.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »
Not specifically regarding Psionics, but the idea in general...

Years back, my crew and I converted Darksun to Role Master.
Things shifted in a few interesting ways.
While TSR had Stone/toothed swords doing LESS damage (They lost a die, IIRC), when converted to RM, suddenly toothed swords became tebujes, doing Rip/Tear crits (Ugly!), Obsidian weapons did increased bleed (+1hp/rnd,house rule), etc... Light/no armor wasn't as sucky as it would be in D&D, since one could Parry, and Armor isn't all in ICE games. Just a thought or two for you to consider.

Oh, and my Thri-Kreen Druid retired at Lvl 2, having succeeded in brokering a soil for water deal between the halflings on the jungle, dwarfs of the volcanic mtns... I had taken Aqueduct Engineering, and became quite rich, raising grapes/making wine...Ah,memories.

Anyways, good luck with your game!

-Uriel