Author Topic: Some Random Questions  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Gliber

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Some Random Questions
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
A few more random questions, if I may.

1) How is the thrown dagger handled in regards to damage? I see it only listed as slashing in a damage table? Is it tiny or small puncture?

2) If you have no brawling skill or capability (you're the sickly wizard type) and have a -25 to your brawling roll, I understand that you are not the best pugilist. What happens if you do a Full Parry? Do you subtract 25 from your DB and add 10? Just add 10 to DB? Cannot ever do a Full Parry with a negative? Any other issues that crop up with negatives?

3) Is the Power Strike a completely separate action to a parry? So you can never parry and Power Strike? So essentially you can Full Parry, Parry for various amounts, not parry and use all your OB, or take it a step further with Power Strike?

4) How does the timing of Fate points work? Before or after a roll is made?

5) Do ranks in dirty fighting get added to concussion hits or to the critical roll? If I am reading dirty fighting correctly, a player with this skill should always use it as soon as possible just once in each fight per combatant to get some sort of damage bonus? Sound about right? I see no reason for a player not to use it as part of every first attack they make in a fight outside of story reasons.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for helping.

Tom / Doc4

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Some Random Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:10:58 AM »
A few more random questions, if I may.

1) How is the thrown dagger handled in regards to damage? I see it only listed as slashing in a damage table? Is it tiny or small puncture?
The same damage as the dagger in melee.
2) If you have no brawling skill or capability (you're the sickly wizard type) and have a -25 to your brawling roll, I understand that you are not the best pugilist. What happens if you do a Full Parry? Do you subtract 25 from your DB and add 10? Just add 10 to DB? Cannot ever do a Full Parry with a negative? Any other issues that crop up with negatives?
You simply don't get a bonus to your DB, but you don't lower it.
3) Is the Power Strike a completely separate action to a parry? So you can never parry and Power Strike? So essentially you can Full Parry, Parry for various amounts, not parry and use all your OB, or take it a step further with Power Strike?
AFAIK Power Strike requires an attack without parrying.
AFAIK after a rool is made.
5) Do ranks in dirty fighting get added to concussion hits or to the critical roll? If I am reading dirty fighting correctly, a player with this skill should always use it as soon as possible just once in each fight per combatant to get some sort of damage bonus? Sound about right? I see no reason for a player not to use it as part of every first attack they make in a fight outside of story reasons.
If successful the ranks get added to the critical roll. And yes, it makes sense to always try it in a fight.
That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for helping.

Tom / Doc4
Please ask such new questions in a new thread in the future since they have nothing to do with the original question, so that the title is now a bit misleading. I will not give further answers on unrelated questions in this thread.

Offline Gliber

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably change the dagger to a puncture then, as tossing a dagger across the room into a thug and "slashing" him just seems odd.

As for posting more questions in the same topic, it was a coin flip for me. I wasn't sure if that would be the moderator's concern or if it would be the old Please-do-not-clutter-up-the-forum-with-multiple-threads-newbie response. Good to know where the forum stands.

So, to be clear, as each question pops up for me in the next week or so, you want a separate thread, or can we now agree that the title of this thread, "Some Random Questions", can be a catch all for all my little queries to keep things together?

// hopes that last question didn't have to be asked in a new thread   :)
// runs and hides!

Tom / Doc4

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:19:44 PM »
IMO a separate topic titles "some randon questions" is just fine.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »
So, to be clear, as each question pops up for me in the next week or so, you want a separate thread, or can we now agree that the title of this thread, "Some Random Questions", can be a catch all for all my little queries to keep things together?

Either works fine.  Ec's original comment was about essentially resurrecting a thread on a specific topic to ask questions unrelated to the original topic.

Offline Kasdaye

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:14:06 AM »

I think this depends on what you are using the fate point for

One fate point can be used to add +50 to DB for a single round. However it can alternatively be used to reduce a critical by -25. So it makes sense that to increase DB the point must be spent before the dice roll (which is obviously taking a gamble on wasting the fate point as the opponent could fumble).

Otherwise you could just declare to raise your DB after the dice has been rolled and effectively reduce the critical by -50.

Of course, it could be seen as using the fate point to reduce the critical by -25 is used in situations where the PCs DB is irrelevant (e.g. certain spells, poisons).

It's all down to interpretation  :)

P.S. I fully agree with the throwing knife. A well thrown knife should end up burying itself into an enemy with a satisfying thud  ;)

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and zombies"

"We must fight against apathy!!!... Or not, I don't really care"

"My lady, I'd love to stay and chat, but I fear tequila has gotten the better of me" - Me... Unfortunately

"On my way here I wrote but a single word in my diary. It simply read... Bugger. - Captain Darling