Author Topic: Home made magic - feedback please  (Read 1782 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Home made magic - feedback please
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
I have written two new spell lists, available in the vault, here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat32

Any feedback is welcome. They might be a bit over powered..

The lists are written for a campaign where all players are channeling users. Right now there's two of them, a paladin/nice guy and a warlock/inquisitor. Both belong to a religion which worships various part fo nature. I told them they could pick what ever aspect of nature to follow; sun, rock, plants, weather, even nature chatastrophes, but they went for the sun and the moon.

These lists will be available if they become part of the clergy, and they may cast spells at their current level, or below. No DPs are spent on learning the list - normal PP costs.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Hubbaman

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Home made magic - feedback please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
After looking them through, they seem balanced enough. None of the spells are to powerful and a few of them are quite funny.
Will you make the lists for the other eventualis as well? (rock, plants, weather, even nature chatastrophes)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
Looks like a cool List. I'd like to hear how it playtests; which would take a while for the high lvl spells.

Since you asked... ;)

lvl 50. Eclipse- what do you think about Control Eclipse ? IMHO, being able to cast 1 spell per round of a List of Sun/Light is antithetical to eclipsing the Sun. But, if the idea is that the caster can make an eclipse and still retain all of their power... cool.

lvl 25. Treasure Rainbow - I like this spell. Things like this flesh out the campaign world. If others can see it too, all the better! You should hurry when this spell is cast.

lvl 14. Sunstroke- Make reduction to %Act based on the amount of RR failure. I believe this is typical of many RM RR's.

lvl 8. Sunclock - I recommend moving this to lvl 1. and have it require no PP. Then move the other spells up one until lvl 8.  If it still requires PP, the caster can maybe extrapolate Latitude and Longitude.. I'll have to check that, forgot the math.

This sounds like a Training Package List if they can't learn it until certain conditions are met, like you said. I think that makes it more special.
Not trying to be nit-pickey, just giving an opinion. Thanks for sharing. I like it. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
  On the sun list I am not so sure about the rank 19, 20, 25 and 50 rank spells. They just do not seem to fit.  I also assume that it is a channeling list do to the PP sac spell. The list also in general seems a bit under powered but that is dependent on your game and setting. It is nice to see a list that is a bit underpowered as most are over powered IMO and I am as guilty as the next person of doing it.

On the Moon list I liked it more than the Sun list but thought the upper ranked spells a little weak again. I might have a gain lycanthropy spell or a spell that gives you lycanthropy for a set number of days or hours. The cater would have to study shapes and be limited by his level of what he could and could not learn.

Did that help?

Also what is the purpose of sacrificing PP's to the Sun or Moon? (if you do not mind)

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
Marc and Providence: Thanks for the consrtructive critisism!  :)

lvl 14. Sunstroke- Make reduction to %Act based on the amount of RR failure. I believe this is typical of many RM RR's.

Good idea! 10%/10fail, or something

lvl 8. Sunclock - I recommend moving this to lvl 1. and have it require no PP. Then move the other spells up one until lvl 8.  If it still requires PP, the caster can maybe extrapolate Latitude and Longitude.. I'll have to check that, forgot the math.

Done!

On the sun list I am not so sure about the rank 19, 20, 25 and 50 rank spells. They just do not seem to fit.

Hmm.. They are all supposed to have something directly to do with the sun. The eclipses might need some more thinking, I agree. The thought was that once the spell caster (of the realm of channeling) is sufficiently in contact with his deity (e.g. the sun) he may summon an eclipse. The lower level is only an illusion, and will serve mosty to impress others and make changes in light conditions. The 50th level spell was thought be summon a real eclipse, in which the sun goes away and enegry is transferred to the caster, bestowing upon him great powers.

The list also in general seems a bit under powered but that is dependent on your game and setting.

You think so? We'll Im glad to hear that. I was afraid the opposite would be the case. These lists are not supposed to shift the power level of the casters in any way. They will get access, when/if the upper level clergy decides they are worthy, and the lists will be in addition to the numerous other, powerful lists they already have available.

Also what is the purpose of sacrificing PP's to the Sun or Moon? (if you do not mind)

The purpose is, of course, pleasing the deities. This cult is scared shitless that the sun will leave them, and render thweir world a dark, cold and barren place. By offering their PPs they ensure the sun is pleased and the circle of nature continues. Now, there just, possibly might be some small, twist here, but I'm not really at liberty to tell, as the players surely are reading this  :-X

Will you make the lists for the other eventualis as well?

@Hubba: Yes, I will be making a list calles Natures Wrath, which will deal with earth quakes, volcanos, hurricanes etc, but as thing are this will be for NPCs exclusively... Sleep wary!  8)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
This cult is scared shitless that the sun will leave them, and render their world a dark, cold and barren place.

Are you familiar with the Issac Asimov story "Nightfall"? It was made into a movie and has a very interesting eclipse of the sun/world's going to end type culture.
Might be worth checking it out.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »
 Does not an eclipse mean that the moon is blocking the sun? Or is your game world different?

IMO yes they deal with the sun remotely as it is the moon that blocks the sun and not a sun effect that the spell simulates. 

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »
Are you familiar with the Issac Asimov story "Nightfall"? It was made into a movie and has a very interesting eclipse of the sun/world's going to end type culture.

If I can get it here in Oslo, I will. Vacation is coming up in two days and I'm in need of some literature any ways. 

Does not an eclipse mean that the moon is blocking the sun? Or is your game world different?

Please consult the quote on the bottom of this post.  8) Nah.. just kidding! As I said, the eclipse spells may need some more thinking. Maybe the sun eclipse actually should be moved to the moon-list ???

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
 IMO yes but you can also just have a spell or illusion that blocks the sun. Maybe sun block or something. I do not really have a problem with the effect it is just how the effect is generated.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »
SPF 1000?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
SPF 1000?
That is the rating given for sun block cream, most good ratings are around 30+.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
I think SPF 1000 was a commercial in one of the Robocop movies.  :)

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 02:02:41 AM »
Hmmm...is that the one where excessive use may cause cancer?...or was that another movie...? Yeah, that's irony for you  ;D

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »

Got it and read it - the novel version of the old short story. Liked it very much, it was hard to put down! Thanks for the tip. Didnt care much for the ending, though.. Bahh... :-\