Author Topic: Shadow World GM Newbie  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Michael Niemeck

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadow World GM Newbie
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »
Hello World!

I'll be starting GMing my first Shadow World Adventure in two weeks or something, this being also my first attempt at GMing altogether. I played quite a bit of Rolemaster back in the mists of time, but still this is going to be one heck of a ride for me. The group is a really mixed bunch of five (I hope), ranging from truly seasoned Roleplayers to absolute newbies. None of them knows Shadow World, though, and in fact this is one of the many reasons I chose this setting.

I'll be starting with the Norek module, from what I've read in this forum and subsequently in the book that seems like a safe choice to me to start with. So far I've also worked my way through the Jaiman book and the Atlas. I'll be using vanilla RMSS as much as possible, because that's the one I know best. Since only the Atlas v4 has proper stats for that, and for simplicity's sake, and to keep maintenance on my Character Sheet Creator low, I'll use the standard races in terms of numbers to create PCs (Common Men for Jameri, Wood Elves for Erlini, Half-Elves and Dwarves). The Shadow World-specific monsters stats should work as-is, the rest I will just draw from Creatures and Monsters, and the NPCs I will just try to extrapolate from RM2 to RMSS without too much fuzz, the difference is not that big anyway, as far as I can tell, and if he/she ends up with a couple of PP more or less than he/should have, so what...

If you are still looking for the question buried in all of this, there is none. I just felt like sharing. And soliciting any advice you'd like to throw at me.

Mike

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World GM Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
 You can also check out the RMSS races book that has lots of races stats for RMSS.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Shadow World GM Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
Since only the Atlas v4 has proper stats for that, and for simplicity's sake, and to keep maintenance on my Character Sheet Creator low, I'll use the standard races in terms of numbers to create PCs (Common Men for Jameri, Wood Elves for Erlini, Half-Elves and Dwarves). The Shadow World-specific monsters stats should work as-is, the rest I will just draw from Creatures and Monsters, and the NPCs I will just try to extrapolate from RM2 to RMSS without too much fuzz, the difference is not that big anyway, as far as I can tell, and if he/she ends up with a couple of PP more or less than he/should have, so what...

If you are still looking for the question buried in all of this, there is none. I just felt like sharing. And soliciting any advice you'd like to throw at me.

Mike

The Xa-ar module has RMSS/FRP stats and is Jaiman based. Races & Cultures has some Shadow World specific races in RMSS/FRP. There's a RMSS freebie for Powers of Light and Darkness.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme