Author Topic: Racial origins of the Y'Kin/Yinka  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Racial origins of the Y'Kin/Yinka
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »
Ok, here's one for all you Loremasters out there :)

I'm putting together a campaign in Jaiman and Northern Emer, and I've been looking into what was happening with the Y'kin/Yinka c. 6053. In particular, I'm interested in where they came from and which racial group from Emer they sprang from.

In Cloudlords, the Yinka are described as being short and stocky, with 'dark, mahogany skin and brown eyes' [Cloudlords, revised edition, p. 25], and that their god is called Yugal.

In Haalkitaine, however, it states: 'There is little doubt that the Y'kin are of the same origins as the Jaaderi of the central Emerian plains, though this group has been stunted after centuries of living in a cold, damp climate inhospitable to their nature. The Y'kin are distinguished by their red-brown skin, hooked noses, high sloping foreheads and elongated ears.' It also mentions that their god is Akalatan.

In Jaiman, it says they have 'large noses and full lips'.

In the Master Atlas [Third Edition], the Yinka are described as an offshoot of the Ochu; the Yinka are not specifically described, but the Ochu are said to have 'red-brown skin' and to be of 'medium height and build'.

Finally, In the Emer Atlas II, the Ochu are still described as having 'red-brown skin', but are now described as tending to be 'tall'. The Yinka are not described.

If I'm reading this correctly, then, it seems likely that the Yinka are an offshoot of the Ochu and that the harsh living in colder climes has stunted the Yinka a bit, so they no longer have the stature of the rest of the Ochu.

I am wondering, though, are the Ochu supposed to be tall or of medium height? And are the Ochu stocky like the Yinka, or of normal build? And are the Yinka descended from the Jaaderi or the Ochu?

Just wondering.

Cheers

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:49:32 PM by Hurin »
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Racial origins of the Y'Kin/Yinka
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
Oh, and in the Master Atlas it also distinguishes the Jaaderi from the Ochu. The Jaaderi are 'tall' and 'powerfully built', with 'coppery red-brown' skin, hooked noses, full lips and elongated earlobes.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »
To be honest I never even heard of the Ochu before, must be from a later edition of the Master Atlas or I overread that all those times. If they are an offshoot and have lived in different climates from many ages, it should be very well possible that they changed in their physique a bit from the original makeup.
The colour of skin, however, seems to have stayed the same in all those groups, or at least almost the same.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
Yeah, I guess you're right there: the color of their skin has stayed the same; the real question is their height and build, and what racial group they come from in Emer.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:52 AM »
The Ochu are the race of the Pochanti - I can't remember if the Ochu and Jaaderi are related, but they do share some similar characteristics, so it could be that some scholars would think they are related to Jaaderi while others think they are related to the Ochu.