Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 278741 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:34 AM »
As Emer III art and editing proceeds, which SW Second edition(s) (of the ones I wrote) would you like to see released next? And what new/updated material would you like to see in it/them?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 04:49:22 AM »
No matter what you do, I would like to have more (many, many more) of the important personages of those areas fleshed out. By that, I mean with stats, profession, level, equipment, etc..., but most importantly: personalities. That would help me dramatically by cutting down on the time it takes to do all of that.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 04:57:19 AM »
No matter what you do, I would like to have more (many, many more) of the important personages of those areas fleshed out. By that, I mean with stats, profession, level, equipment, etc..., but most importantly: personalities. That would help me dramatically by cutting down on the time it takes to do all of that.

By important personages you mean powerful, or those more likely to be encountered by the PCs, or both? Slightly off-topic, I had suggested to Nicholas at ICE that it might be fun to do an ICE RM supplement with the stats and background of all the characters who will be appearing in my upcoming novel. Of course many of them are familiar characters, but some have not really been detailed yet for Shadowstone readers (Patrick [all that Imperial tech!], Nelvana, Kim, Seylars, the other Red Dragons and Nightwings), and some are new characters altogether.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 07:45:48 AM »
Slightly off-topic, I had suggested to Nicholas at ICE that it might be fun to do an ICE RM supplement with the stats and background of all the characters who will be appearing in my upcoming novel. Of course many of them are familiar characters, but some have not really been detailed yet for Shadowstone readers (Patrick [all that Imperial tech!], Nelvana, Kim, Seylars, the other Red Dragons and Nightwings), and some are new characters altogether.

How about broadening that into a "Lords of Kulthea" supplement?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Slightly off-topic, I had suggested to Nicholas at ICE that it might be fun to do an ICE RM supplement with the stats and background of all the characters who will be appearing in my upcoming novel. Of course many of them are familiar characters, but some have not really been detailed yet for Shadowstone readers (Patrick [all that Imperial tech!], Nelvana, Kim, Seylars, the other Red Dragons and Nightwings), and some are new characters altogether.

How about broadening that into a "Lords of Kulthea" supplement?

Well, that was sort of 'Powers of Light and Darkness'  This would feature a lot of more 'normal' people.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Mordred

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
I don't know if Emer III will also describe the southwest; if not, I would like the last Emer book to close the circle.

Apart from that, personally I prefer some kind of more focused supplement; Emer I, II and III are too general and it's a good start to get the flavour of a continent, but you can find that local maps are somekind 'empty'. Decreasing the scope you get a more detailed environment. Jaiman still hasn't a specific setting for Urulan, northeast (Zor, Jamil Taarg (sp?) or southwest (U-Lyshak,Ly-Aran, Ulor and Saralis) for example.

Another small supplement I'm thinking about is a races & cultures for Kulthea with all the stuff you need for a complete background: languages, localizations, special training packages, adolescent skill ranks, martial arts for MAC, priests spheres for deities (CC), etc.

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:48 AM »
"Familiar Faces" from Shadowstone sounds good :-)
As you wish...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
By important personages you mean powerful, or those more likely to be encountered by the PCs, or both? Slightly
Both. Think of the number of possible people one could encounter in the court of Rhakhaan. If I don't have to make up ALL of those from scratch, and have some for guidelines when I do make others up, it would be a great help. For fun, just some random individuals that might be encountered, like the staff of a particular inn and/or tavern, or shop, or whatever, would be nice also.

The range of levels and professions in NPCs go a LONG way in helping me (maybe other, as well) understand how to play the setting. For example: the people who make up Shadowdale in the Forgotten Realms (all retired high-level adventurers and Elminster) vs. the people who make up the town of Saltmarsh in Greyhawk (pretty-much normal fantasy folk). Just by looking at them, I get a good idea of how to handle the place when (if) the PCs show up - and when to allow the PCs to show up. (Low-level, mid-level, or high-level.)

Plus, personality write-ups really help give me adventure/campaign ideas that tie into the world through the people, getting the game away from the dungeon crawl template, which is fine some of the time, just not all of the time.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:29 AM »
I suggested to the SW Facebook followers that I might do a Xa-ar-style module (though not THAT large) of this region (wiping the old Sky-Giants slate pretty much clean, as those rights are gone anyway) and people there got pretty excited. What about my ICE forum friends??
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Mordred

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »
I like the idea. If this one finally goes on, you got a buyer.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »
First Shadowstone novel is allllmost ready! But maybe I should add in a little wedding scene, right at the end? ;-)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 07:07:46 AM »
Not if it turns out like the wedding in the latest episode of Game of Thrones!!! (I won't give anything away as I don't think you've got that far in watching the series yet)

But I'm excited about smaller modules! :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
Not if it turns out like the wedding in the latest episode of Game of Thrones!!! (I won't give anything away as I don't think you've got that far in watching the series yet)

But I'm excited about smaller modules! :)

Hah, no I am just getting the last disk of Season One from Netflix today... I actually stopped watching it on HBO after the first ep when the kid got pushed out the window, because I found it too gratuitous and shocking. But Olivia (longtime friend and Pete Fenlon's wife) assured me that he lives... so recently I started watching again... hrm.

I've just heard all the internet hysteria about the 'Red Wedding,' seen the memes and figured out at least a few of the deaths.

I'm joking about the Shadow Wedding of course (though a big wedding in Haalkitaine Palace would be fun).

A few characters in Shadowstone are going to die or it's completely unbelievable, but I seem to get attached to them in a way that certain authors don't. I'd even hate to kill a villain like Seylars..
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 08:04:32 AM »
 I was shocked about the Red Wedding when I read the book and am not looking forward to seeing it on DVR when I get a few hours to watch the last few episodes I have recorded.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
There's a great Meme... I am emotionally Rowling, not Martin.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
I Loved this one

Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
That is a very good one. :o ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:19 AM »
I suggested to the SW Facebook followers that I might do a Xa-ar-style module (though not THAT large) of this region (wiping the old Sky-Giants slate pretty much clean, as those rights are gone anyway) and people there got pretty excited. What about my ICE forum friends??
I could totally see that.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Hey Terry, It's been a long long time since we last talked and I seriously doubt you remember me. I am very happy to see you actually working with ICE now on Shadow World as that wasn't the case so many years ago. How did that book go you were working on? It was helping me to fill in some details from your modules. I believe it was centered in Jaiman, I'm not sure. I was one of those who were disappointed in the "Grand Campaign". I tried filling in the details myself for my game and it was to much overall. I understand that undertaking is nigh impossible to accomplish. So why not create a new "grand campaign" of sorts but publish it in different modules or parts? To be honest though anything for Shadow World would be great. Maybe even an open source campaign design with submissions from people on this list  ;). Otherwise I think Thuul is a good idea.
One question though, do these new updates put everything together and complete that was incomplete or missing from some of the original books and updates?

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!