Author Topic: Cantrip advice  (Read 163 times)

Offline Progbaby

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cantrip advice
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:09:38 PM »
Hello! I am buiding a world in which I want minor spells to be ubiquitous, while having more powerful magic still be uncommon at best. I was thinking of implementing HARPS's low magic (cantrips, from HARP College of Magic) into RMU. Has anybody here done so? Does anybody have any advice for doing so? Or maybe there is a better option I am not familiar with.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Cantrip advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 08:23:35 PM »
IIRC, most HARP cantrips are nearly identical to 1st level spells in RM. That may not be true in RMU, but it seems so in RM2/RMC. That being the case, you'd have to limit yourself to the ones not duplicated in the RM spell lists, or make 1st level spells in RM your cantrips, or some variation on that theme.

Someone who is more recently well read in RM please correct me if I am wrong.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 12:10:07 PM »
You could achieve that by just house-ruling that every spell needs 1 power point less than its level. That way, all 1st level spells become your cantrips.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 01:34:48 PM »
I house rule that Cantrips are general open spells that anyone can learn. I give 2 cantrips per spell slot put into it. They are not over balancing and do nothing to up end the game or over power it. Need to put them in the elements (Ess, Cha, Men) classes  to balance that out but overall I use them frequently as there is no powering up for most of them. Instead of the 1-2 PP per use can put a use per day if wanted.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 02:33:46 PM »
Not sure about RMU, but for RMC/RMSS couldn't you just create a cantrip/low magic skill in the power manipulation category and just use the HARP rules(i.e one cantrip spell per rank, casting cost 1 or 2 pp and uses the skill bonus against the HARP spell casting chart)?
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson