Author Topic: How to enter Cloudlords fortress?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline turthalion

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How to enter Cloudlords fortress?
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
I bought the new Cloudlords PDF recently, and page 36, left hand side, mentions that "the black rectangle at the left of the diagram [of Cloudlord city] is the entrance to the underground complex."  Copious details on the construction of the doors follow, and then we move into the map and room descriptions of the underground complex.

HOWEVER, I've pored over the descriptions, and can't see WHERE in the underground complex the doors lead to.  What room on the map do they enter into?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Turthalion

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How to enter Cloudlords fortress?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
Nope, you are not missing anything. It appears that that information appears to be missing from the module. Unfortunately, you have to wait until Terry pays a visit to the forums (should be sometime tomorrow) before you can get an answer.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:23:59 AM »
Simple answer probably is: You don't!
I would suggest, however, that there are those always-working keys such as the skeleton key (don't know where that is to be found) and that thing of Andraax' Vault may be useful. Wasn't that also some sort of key that was able to open almost every lock - or am I mixing that up with that it could open a door in the Tombs of Ûr?
Otherwise, magic may be an option as I guess that brute force will do little damage to those ancient materials used in the cloudlords town.
Maybe ... the details on the construction should help you to figure out how this thing could be broken as there is no key left that would open it. Unless you count the key the Storm Wizard possesses, of course. That one, however, should be out of reach for anyone.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
Smart remark answer......VERY CAREFULLY
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
HOWEVER, I've pored over the descriptions, and can't see WHERE in the underground complex the doors lead to.  What room on the map do they enter into?  Am I missing something?

Right - where do those doors go to?

I thought those doors went to the stables of the Steardan, the quarters for the grooms of the Steardan and a passageway to the rest of the underground fortress (IIRC, there was a hallway running off the top edge of one of the two undergrounds maps and it was that hallway which went to the 'backside' of "the black rectangle at the left of the diagram").

DonMoody

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
Maybe they are magical and when used correctly will allow the user to go to the location of their choice? That would be pretty-cool.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline turthalion

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

Right - where do those doors go to?

I thought those doors went to the stables of the Steardan, the quarters for the grooms of the Steardan and a passageway to the rest of the underground fortress (IIRC, there was a hallway running off the top edge of one of the two undergrounds maps and it was that hallway which went to the 'backside' of "the black rectangle at the left of the diagram").

You're right, #78.  I don't know how I missed that.  I had read the description for long hallway #52 that goes off into nowhere, and somehow missed #78, or assumed it was the same.

#78 says "Corridor. Leading to the great iron gates above the city."

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  I wanted to know this before running my game on Saturday... the party have just started exploring the fortress.

I'm running a heavily modified version of the Grand Campaign with a bunch of other modules thrown in, and after the long chase through the tunnels by the Doombringer, I had the long tunnel eastward actually join up with the the collapsed tunnel at #76 in the Cloudlords fortress (which is currently abandoned).

Once the party get out, they'll meet up with a Duranaki patrol--the Duranaki keep watch on the fortress to make sure the Cloudlords aren't taking up residence again.  So there'll be a bit of a confrontation, and the party will eventually be released with dire warnings not to interfere with Duranaki affairs.

Then we'll pick up the GC trail again, and they'll head to Zener Morndaak's house, with the patrol following behind, unknown to the party.  That way, when the party are discovered with the dead Loremaster, the Duranakis' hostile reaction is even more understandable...

Offline Kurgath

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »
Turthalion,

I would be really interested in seeing a 'running order' of your modified Grand Campaign, if you would be happy to share?

My PCs are on the cusp of finishing the Sea Drake campaign (which in itself was heavily modified here, took us over 10 years to play it!)

And now they are going to be embarking on the Grand Campaign to seek more of the items, but as they are all 11th-14th level it will be a much higher octane version of it, plus it will probably run in a different order (starting in Urulan for example)

It would be great to sgare our thoughts on this - feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it on the forums.

K

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
The fast answer to that question is, quietly and with a very big weapon. ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"