Author Topic: RMC vs RMFRP Spell Law  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC vs RMFRP Spell Law
« on: July 03, 2009, 02:48:39 AM »
Hi,

I've got both RMFRP and RMC core books. Is RMC Spell Law competible with RMFRP 3 "Spell Law" books?

I've noticed many spell list that are practically the same (Essence Hand for example). Is it true for all lists?
Can the same lists be found in the two versions?

Thanks 

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: RMC vs RMFRP Spell Law
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:26:20 AM »
You develop spells differently in RMFRP (a level at a time instead of in picks), so in that spell law they filled in a lot of the levels so you don't spend points and get nothing out of it.  Because of that I'd say using RMFRP Spell Law with RMC would be perfectly fine, but going the other way around would mean that casters had too many holes in some lists.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:16:12 AM »
I've got both RMFRP and RMC core books. Is RMC Spell Law competible with RMFRP 3 "Spell Law" books?

I've noticed many spell list that are practically the same (Essence Hand for example). Is it true for all lists?

The only changes to the spell lists between RM2 and RMFRP was to fill in some of the empty slots on some of the spell lists. Other than that, RM2 and RMFRP spell lists are going to be identical.

Now in RMC, the spell lists are nearly identical to RM2, however the "Passive" spell type was done away with, and all Passive spells became either Informational or Utility spell. (and the new Phantasm/Illusion type was added). But this also means that the RMC spells also have those gaps in them that RMFRP filled in.

In hindsight, we should likely have filled in the empty slots like RMFRP did (but IIRC, the decision to not do that was made early on (i.e. the goal still being make it as much like RM2 as possible), before it was decided to get rid of Passive spells and I don't think it was ever revisited).

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »

The only changes to the spell lists between RM2 and RMFRP was to fill in some of the empty slots on some of the spell lists. Other than that, RM2 and RMFRP spell lists are going to be identical.

This is not correct. Comparing my RM2 and RMSS Spell Laws: A number of spells are clarified or rebalanced as well as the additions. In a few cases spell descriptions change to adjust to the new core rules. There are whole new spell lists, both in the change from five to six base lists for Semis (and the Evil spell list sets) and a change in the way Healer's transfer wounds allowing dropping the "Transferring Ways" list and introducing "Cleansing". The core Professions have changed, so which Professions have Base lists in Spell Law changed. Now, I'm not sure exactly how the RMFRP repackaging worked, but I believe all the RMSS core Professions do end up in there somewhere, which means if someone were using RMFRP except for Spell Law, a RM2/RMC Spell Law would leave some gaps in the Base Lists. You'd need additional materials and I'm not sure there was ever a RM2/RMC equivalent of the Dabbler.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
Oh, and did RMC add a sixth Base list for the Semis? And is it the *same* extra Base list as RMSS/RMFRP?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »
RMC did not add a 6th base list for Semis, however, in Express Additions there is an option that allows the Semi to select a Closed Spell List as a 6th Base List (i.e. in RMC core, Semis cannot learn Closed Lists, period, but that same issue of EA also has an option to let them learn Closed lists to 5th level).

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
And there arre plenty of optional rules in rmc spell law that allow for this as well - learning closed not adding a base list :)