Author Topic: Channeling only?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Channeling only?
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
so our spring campaign will be Rolemaster and it'll be a historical fantasy thing about vikings.

Im tempted to limit magic to just channeling, since that seems to fit better. Any thoughts or terrible things that would happen from that ?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Channeling only?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »
Well, as was said by others, the fact that there is a lot of overlap in capabilities between the magic types (i.e. similar spells with similar abilities), it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. The only minor problem I see is the limitation for the Players on character choices, but you are playing a specific setting/genre so that doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
 IMO with channeling magic you could do anything you want as IMO "divine' magic is all powerful.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »
You might want to consider allowing some Professions that usually are not Channeling-based to be played as Channeling Professions, especially Semis. Bards for example. Probably Illusionists, too, out of the Pures.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Inez Hull

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
I once tried setting up a dark ages game with a few mods to the standard rules and came up with:

no pure spell casters - only semi's

no channeling spellcasters - instead use background options/talents such as ensorcellment cure, future visions etc to reflect a "holy man" archetype. In this setting any essence and mentalism casters would be viewed with suspicion or outright hostility

limit weapons/armour to culturally appropriate - i.e. no plate (or possibly even AT 15 & 16), no crossbows, no lances, no armour piercing weapons