Author Topic: How not to overrun the timeline?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
How not to overrun the timeline?
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »
Hello

I am not GMing in SW anymore...basically I finished playing all adventures that I could find for a affordable price.

Yet the following words from Vroom reminded me of a question...

Shadow World's original timeline ended about 6050. and now goes into great detail up until the end of 6053 with some entries in 6054 and beyond.

Having a timeline is great, but how do people avoid to overrun the timeline when you play in SW?

*Does you restart at a previous point in time to let your new campaign run i parallel with your old one?
*Does you play rarely enough that the time in your game has not moved past the timeline entries that was posted years ago (Grand Campaign has been around for more than 10 years real time if I recall correctly)?
*Does you use Robert Jordans tactic of slowing down the flow of time in game until the point that whole campaigns happen within the time span of days or weeks in game time?
*Does you rewrite the dates on the timeline to fit the scale of adventures you need to squeeze in?

...or any other solution to this problem that I have not thought about?
/Pa Staav

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How not to overrun the timeline?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Oh, I think you forgot an obvious one: only don?t care at all about the timeline and you are fine.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
Hello

[snip]

Having a timeline is great, but how do people avoid to overrun the timeline when you play in SW?

[snip part 2]

(Grand Campaign has been around for more than 10 years real time if I recall correctly)?

I always try to start early enough to usually avoid timeline overrun.
When it happens I just don't care and make do with it.

The timeline has progressed only a few years since the Grand Campaign ( well, my memory is playing tricks with me, it might even be only part of 6051 ), and the most detailed one of that time (for the 6050+ dates ) was in Eidolon... I can tell, I spent hours in all these timelines :D
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »
You could try setting your campaign back about 500 years or so.  That ought to do it.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »
Draft out a simple time line to take care of your regions and let Terry take care of the World. If you need a time line that spans a bit more then the area you are gaming in, then expand your window to suit. Keep in mind that most games don't give you a time line, so don't get locked into it, just use it as a climbing device and go wild.

A general theme of the time line: Something happens to push the World closer to chaos, then there is a stabilizing effect. Something pushes the World closer to Chaos, then there is a stabilizing effect. Nothing pushes back the inevitable Chaos, just holds it off a while longer.

Or just put the Official time line aside. In truth your PC's don't have to be movers and shakers, sometimes the average adventure spends his/her life fighting lugroki, evil lords and necromancers with a passion for conquest. Some times your Players decide what you do. My current party is not up to an Unlife adventure, so I have returned to the standard Forest crawl and dungeon crawl and currently mountain crawl. So a number of the really dangerous happenings I don't even bother with.

I have had parties run into 5084. It was a bit challenging as my party at the time were all over the place. Still fun. That was when I really made Shadow World mine, if you will.

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool