Author Topic: Poll - What years do you run campaigns in?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Poll - What years do you run campaigns in?
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
Shadow World's original timeline ended about 6050. and now goes into great detail up until the end of 6053 with some entries in 6054 and beyond.

If you are running an existing campaign when did it start and how long has it been going?

If you were to start a new campaign when would you run it?

I'm trying to gauge what sorts of regional local events would be known to players, or which ones would be secret because they are in the future (e.g. Northern Eye effects, Death of Frelik, the Fall of the Yinka, the return of The Cloudlords, etc.)

Each person may vote for up to 2 options, if you considering running a different time period then your current campaign.

If you plat pre-6050 please post what year you start in.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:01:24 PM by Vroomfogle »

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poll - What years do you run campaigns in?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
I voted 6050 and earlier because I like to have events occurring in backdrop (or become part of) the campaign.   Starting in 6050 gives more then 4 years worth of history in which the campaign can be set.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:59 PM »
I did not vote because while I run my SW campaign in its recent history, I did not follow anything resembling the official storyline (nor throughout the 90's did I percieve there was an official storyline to follow).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
We started with Jaiman and sort of the Kier campaign and developed everything from then on. We are about five to ten years away from that but never really cared about those "new" timelines.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »
My latest campaign starts with the Loss of the Northern Eye, but this event also creates temporal disturbances that periodically send the characters back to witness (and even participate in) some of the great events of the distant past. [This was my way of introducing new players to the rich history of Kulthea). They're going to go back to witness the sack of Cynar, the Emerian Empire at it's height, the fall of the (First) Cloudlords, and maybe even some of the Wars of Dominion.

Should be quite a show :)
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »
I start my campaign in 6047 in order to give the players time to amass enough power to do a bit more than look out of the passenger car windows of the railroad as the NPCs do all the really cool stuff.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
We have never arrived to the loss of the Northern eye, but with luck we will arrive soon.

I had also being thinking about making a game in the time the Earthwardens arrived to Khultea, this idea come to me meanwhile reading Xa-Ar, but for now it's only an idea...

Emer has also interested me for play in times of the Emerian Empire; so i also voted this option...

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »
I also like to have a few years under the hand when it comes to players mischief... so I voted 6050 or earlier..... anyway, most of my Kulthean adventures ( both as a player and a Gamemaster ) happened around 6040-6050 so that we/I had some margin with the world events.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »
I am still waiting for someone to beat up Ondovaal and take all his stuff.  His attempt on the Southern Eye in 6057 is just around the corner.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »
I did not vote because while I run my SW campaign in its recent history, I did not follow anything resembling the official storyline (nor throughout the 90's did I percieve there was an official storyline to follow).

I feel ya'! ;). While I'm officially in 6050, i think I've played somewhat fast and loose with the official timeline.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 04:12:33 AM »
I have 3-4 different campaigns as a GM.
One started ten years ago, in 6050 and we are still playing with the same characters, now in 6064.
Two other inter-linked campaigns were set in 6053-6054 just before and then after the loss of the northern eye.
Yet another happened in 6050 but we did not play a lot.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --