Author Topic: Starting Character for The Throne of God - could be spoiler  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Starting Character for The Throne of God - could be spoiler
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »
Just bought and downloaded the first book today. Already had it printed and bound :)
I have so many good things to say about what I'm reading - and I just read about 20 pages. Exactly what a working/married/generally-busy group needs.
I want to start the players making characters right away - don't want the thrill to calm down.
So to the question:
I want to start with the teaser in The Throne of God - so this means the characters are from 10,000 years ago (Love this bit BTW  ;)). When it comes to choosing professions - are there any limits or otherwise directions?
Moreover, what about certain skills like Lore skills?  I mean - they probably have Culture Lore and Region Lore - but which culture/region?  Also, other general lore skills, like lock lore, herb lore... I hope you get the picture - How will these skills from 10,000 years ago work in the Mortal World today?
Bare in mind that I'm really just starting to read so these questions may have answers I didn't find.
Thanks,
Roy.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Starting Character for The Throne of God - could be spoiler
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
What's you system?  I don't have many comments on professions, I just let logic be the guide there.

For lore skills, I allow characters to update their lore skills have they've been in the world for a time.  I might make them roleplay it a bit, but I don't make them spend points.  By the second adventure, if they've been working on it, I allow any skills to apply to their new situation.  If you want to be a hard nose, make them raise the skill at least one rank, but allow that to update the previous ranks as well.

For languages, I usually just pile all the ranks into Divine Tongue.  If they have any left, I allow the player to assign them after the first adventure, during down time.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »
Yeah, silly me - the system is RMFRP.
I'll let them start preparing characters...  Hopefully there won't be too difficult rulings to make.  I'll come back with more questions if there are :)
...and a review of how we are coming along as well.
Thanks a lot
Roy

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
NP.  Keep me apprised.

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
The first player finished his character today for our upcoming session starting with the Throne of God teaser.
What do you know - he chose to play an Arcane Elementalist from Fire & Ice.
He came up with a great background story and I really like the whole character concept.
Are there any special directions for these kind of profession in the Mortal Realm?
I mean, since the elemental planes have shifted in position since the Sundering, and he has the Devine Spark (playing a High Man), I thought maybe he'll only be able to tap into the Light-Air-Earth triad - the one closer to heaven.  Just a thought - could be there is no real reason for this - but I thought it could add to the feel of the setting.

Anything else regarding Arcane magic and the Elemental planes can be helpful for me - just want to be consistent with a setting I still barely know   :)

Thanks a lot for the support.
Roy.

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:48:52 AM »
Ok, I got the EoH Bestiary as well and under the section of Elementals it says this simple line:
The cosmology and the connections of the elements in The Echoes of Heaven are based on Fire and Ice: The Elemental Companion...
The whole paragraph pretty much answered my question - Elements, including casting of, work as in the Elemental Companion - so the Arcance Elementalist has access to all elements.

I'll see how it develops - maybe I'll limit him anyway - have to further check his spells ;)
Roy.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
Well, remember, HE'S no closer to one than the other.  The "heavenly" triad is just as far away from him as the "hellish" one.

That's cool with him being an AE.

Offline Jorik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
I see.  I just finished reading through the Throne of God.  The adventure is tough ;D -- I think he'll need alll the power he can master.
Player 2 now working on his character - a Halfling Mythic.  He, as well, came up with a nice background story -- I guess it has to be for a halfling to become a mythic  ;)
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Roy.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »
Np.