Author Topic: Calling Terry... Some ideas for the future  (Read 3435 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Calling Terry... Some ideas for the future
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:05:13 AM »
Maybe this has been covered before but here it goes...
I thought it would be nice with a thread where you could make a whishlist for future SW material.
I'll go first:
- A detailed section on races and where they can be found.
   "I want to play an elf, where do they live?"
   "I want to play an elf, what kind of clothes do I wear?"
   "I want to play an elf, what weapons can I choose from? Which tribes use what weapons?"
- An in depth section on languages.
   "I want to play an elf, what languages do I speak?"
   "I want to play an elf, how many ranks do I get in my languages?"
- A detailed listing on live, dead and magical languages and where they are/were spoken and by who
   "I am the mighty wizard of the western mountain range and I want to study some cool ancient languages, what languages are there?

There are bits and pieces all over the place but it should be presented in one place where it's easy to understand.
My suggestion alone could provide enough material for a source book if you let it.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Calling Terry... Some ideas for the future
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
Quite a lot of that is covered in Master Atlas 4. There are 28 pages on races, and a couple on languages.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:12:52 AM »
This is exactly the type of thing that I hope to accomplish with the players guide.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
Yes, I'd LOVE to see all of that stuff. Honestly, it would really make running a Kulthea campaign so much better and easier for me.

Part of the problem I have with starting a new campaign and rolling up new characters is answering precisely those sorts of questions. One of the great strengths of Rolemaster and Shadow World is the tremendous detail they provide, but I don't think this potential has been fully realized because the Shadow World background material hasn't been fully integrated with the Rolemaster character creation material.

Along the same lines, I would love to see:

--A table that gives adolescent skill ranks for all the major PC races on Kulthea. MERP did this quite well, giving dwarves a very different background than elves, for example. ICE got close to this with its books on Races and Cultures, but most of the Human races (which seem to be the majority of the population of Kulthea) were not detailed to the same extent as the other races, and the ranks didn't really give very distinctive skills to the different races. Here we have a real opportunity to finish the job by taking the material in the Races and Cultures book and fleshing it out to make it unique to Kulthea and to give even the human races a fully developed background. Thus, for example, you might give Duranaki two skill ranks in Kynacs and three or four in Caving. You could note specifically what weapons the nomads of Uj use, and give the PCs that come from there ranks in those weapons. This would help to flesh out the human races and give them a more distinct background by fully integrating the world and the system. This, I think, would really be breaking new ground; it would provide perhaps the most detailed background setting in RPG history.

This might also be a real opporunity to help balance somewhat the races in the Master Atlas. Seriously, who would play a Shay warrior when one can play a Talath? If the Shay have more ranks in some useful skills at adolescence, however, due to their less insular societies, or even access to some of the very potent 'fantasy' weapons in Arms Law, this might help to balance things out. That might be asking a bit too much though... I'd be perfectly happy with just a basic chart of adolescent skill ranks.

Giving a full list of adolescent ranks for all the playable races of Kulthea would also make it a lot easier for GMs to provide the PCs with really deep backgrounds. A Duranaki thief is going to feel considerably different than a Jameri thief, for example, if they start off with a very different skill set. I think this would really add a great deal of flavour to the campaign.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:54:09 PM by Hurin »
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 04:00:40 AM »
egdcltd> Still it only scratches the surfance.

Vroomfogle> The Players guide sound very interesting now. :)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:44 PM »
I think that the best way to do this is to use a map with superimpossed colors/patterns to indicate the respective language (or whatever). Within the color/pattern could be a percentage number indicating the amount of population that speaks the language.

Check out the Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas for inspiration.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Hey Thurd,

How do you envision your elves? (I am not asking you to write an essay  8))
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:23:13 PM by Elrik »
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »
Sneaky little buggers. ;)
This is not an altogeather easy to answer question.
I've played RM for a very long time but now it's time to break in a new GM and I can't really acount for his view on the matter.
However I think with him being new to RM and SW we're most likely to keep things as easy as possible.
So I guess we're talking humans with poity ears that never grow old. As a player I'll try to make my Dyari a little more exotic than that but it's pretty much up to me how I want to tweak my pc.
Personally I envision the elves reproducing at a slightly lower pace than humans as well as maturing at a slightly lower pace. I see my elves as curious of the outside world and for some individuals that curiosity takes them away from their homes.
Besides from that they are great warriors, poets and mages that truly exell in most areas of life. They do have a lot of time to practise...
Dyari are powerhungry and ruthless while the other elves are more altruistic in nature.

We are taking one shortcut. We're playing them with less arrogance than described in the books. If we played them as the arrogant bastards they could be, then we'd have a bloodbath within a couple of sessions and nobody wants that. So we take the easy way out...

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Thurd, I think you hit the nail on the head there. A number of GM's kind of slap the MERP approach to the elves, or they see the elves from the movies and everything blends into one breathless image. Also, there is nothing wrong with the easy way.

I had a larger response but it turned into an essay  ;)

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool