Author Topic: New 3D Render added  (Read 2823 times)

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New 3D Render added
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »
Hi, All,

Just uploaded a new Shadow World based 3D render:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28576267@N02/?saved=1

Comments, criticism, etc welcome! :D

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Wrathchild

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New 3D Render added
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:32:18 AM »
That's a really impressive body of work there, Kevin! I'm going to have to delve into it all later, but I guess we pine for any and all illustrations that will help us provide imagery for SW - and I like what you have done so far. Seems to go with many of the 3D things Terry has done himself.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »
No complaints, just admiration.
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
Impressive work - although I would have imagined the tower of yarthraak taller, though that probably come from not having anything to convey sizes in that picture, and the claw of the dragonlord's citadel could be more dragon claw like. Just the comments of someone who isn't able to draw a mouse with a pencil properly.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments Guys!

Munchy: I tried to give some idea of scale on the tower of Yarthraak, with the horse and rider crossing the bridge, but I guess it wasn't too successful. And, yes, the claw on the Dragonlords' citadel should have been a bit more claw-like!

One of the other problems I get, as well, is the texturing.

Generally, the modelling is done using Imagine, which I've been using for years- and has some superb procedural textures. And, in Imagine the scaling of textures is very precise- you can actually see the size of the textures' 'axis' and scale and move it within the object, which enables you to quickly set the basic size and shape of the texture(s) up. (Additionally, you can layer almost any number of image maps and procedural textures one over the other in Imagine.) :D
Then, it's just a case of tweaking the various texture parameters, to get the final effect you are after.

But, when I do more landscape type images, I convert the objects to Bryce 5/5.5. Bryce's procedural textures on the other hand, are a lot more hit and miss getting them scaled. Waves on water is a good example- they can be difficult to get looking the right size. Requiring repeated test renderings- and Bryce is quite slow at rendering: the price of using Volumetric Objects. Additionally, layering differing textures can be difficult in Bryce. :(
On the other hand, Bryce does have some nice textures- if you don't mind playing with maths formulae... :P

All the Best,

Kevin.