Author Topic: Gods in Shadow World  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Gods in Shadow World
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »
Thanks Elric,

your "Children of the Conclave" are handy. I think I will also give them an espionage aspect. Actually an ambassador of the Rhakhaan Empire visits Norek, in our story in 6050 TE still a free city. It would make sense that this ambassador brings also one of "Children of the Conclave", expressing his discomfort that their is no real ordered structure in the orders and cults in Norek.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 03:31:57 AM »
I have one of those as well... a spy wing for the Church.

I one game I simply called them "The Eyes".
Their size is estimate, and they answer to possibly 3 people in the Church. They do everything from, assassination, to political sabotage to making sure the right person is raped so they can blame the wrong person.

They are a horrible group usually functioning through individuals that have no clue who they are working for. Some people claim that the Eye is not a church group, but others know better... who to believe?
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »
Fine, but I first stay at the bureaucrats. Much better roleplay with those.
And it goes really nice, this mighty, well ordered Empire bringing even it?s own church bureaucrats with him into the free city of Norek. I know my players will hate it!

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
I'm definitely missing thread... :-[

first : there's some files hidden in the vault.  ;D

Second, I don't remember where I saw it stated ( It might have been in the mailing list ) but basically there's Gods and Gods in Shadow World...

There's the Lords of Ohran and the Gods of Charon that are Universal Gods in the meaning that they are worshipped more or less worldwide and are konwn of worldwide.
And then there's the Local Gods... The Oracle of the Saurkurs, that tree over there, the river up here and so on... given enough time and enough worshipper said local god will appear and develop godly powers ( that is will be able to channel spells to its/his/her priests )...

So the Church of Rihand, if it has been there for several thousand years, venerating the same image might actually have created Rihand The ( Local ) God...  ;)

Now I won't even start to talk about a file called 'Religions of Kulthea' that has been laying unattended ( and absolutely unfinished ) on my hard disk for years, there's been snippets of it here and there in the forums...
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
Walt, all players should be left whimpering, quivering piles of angry flesh.

Guillaume: Sometimes it is the debate, who came first, the Religion or the God? I think that eventually Rihand would not become a God, but instead one of the twins would stand in and take on the persona. I shudder, and giggle at the thought of the spell lists that would evolve from that Faith!

I am slowly going through my notes now... How I manged to do all this work, and not have it remotely organized is beyond me.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »
Well, I don't remember where I got the bit of information, my memory seems to be failling on where it came from, but my instinct/memory tells me it came from something that is ( or can be considered as ) canon, so it either came from Terry ( in the mailing list or in the early Kalen tales or on his website at a time or in one of the atlases, or in the Grand Campaign ), or from somewhere with Terry's Stamp of Approval.

I always get the ( color ) picture of the Naiad Terry drawn several years ago springing from a river when I try to grasp where I got it from...

And I'm way too lazy to load, from the backup CDs, the shadow world mailing list archives and rumage through them...
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »
It makes sense. As with most mysticism, as thing gain emotionally charged energy they will take on a "life" of their own. A Rolemaster supplement had rules for that sort of thing.