Author Topic: Poll for GMs: Player Knowledge of Loremasters  (Read 3285 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Poll for GMs: Player Knowledge of Loremasters
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »
What I'm trying to get at is whether or not your players have direct involvement with Loremasters, or know that Loremasters are an existing group, a group from long ago but no longer around, or that they never heard of Loremasters. 

I personally like Option 3, there are a lot of remnants of Loremasters - such as records and texts and not the least of which is the calendar referred to as "Loremaster Reckoning".   They additionally helped cultures flourish so there would probably be a lot of remnants and evidence in many cultures - especially ancient ones such as Rhakhaan.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poll for GMs: Player Knowledge of Loremasters
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »
Other

They are an old group whose current size, status & membership is not publicly known (some loremasters are known to be 'here' or 'there; others are rumoured to be other places) but some non-members may have better ideas about these than others.
They are generally a force for good (i.e. they do not use people as pawns) but also have their own agendas (which they pursue through various means) and one of their primary agendas is gathering information.

In the groups I [have] play[ed] in, no one has ever been a loremaster but most have had some exposure to loremasters (sometimes very directly; other times very indirectly; yer other times, inbetween those).

DonMoody

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
If you voted "Other" It'd be much appreciated if you explained how you handle it !

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:00:44 AM »
You missed the answer: A mix of them depending upon the PC's race, culture, profession, level, lore skills, blah-blah-blah. I try to go with varying levels of knowledge possessed by the PCs as much as possible.

As far as the Loremasters are concerned it usually ranges the gamut of what is possed as answers above. Sometimes some more specific information is had by one of the PCs.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:09:42 AM »
Loremasters? Never heard of 'em?
We're starting up a new group with no knowledge of SW...

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:31:21 AM »
Thanks for the vote, good idea. But like longly discussed in the Loremaster thread, I think a GM must make his mind up about the details of the Loremaster oragnisation. Because there are some inconsistencies

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
Yes, I'd say it depends. If you live in Rhakhaan, for example, it's more than likely you'll have heard something about them. I suppose it depends on whether or not the Loremasters have a visible presence in an area.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:24:16 AM »
For me it's :
They are an old and still existing group with agents all over the hemisphere

But, they are a shadow of what they once were, and they are spread thin.
Furthermore they seem to have stepped back from meddling in things. All in all they are here, they might eventually be encountered if you're at the right place at the right time, but that's it.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
Option 2 for me. And they also use the PC as agents (my players have very high level characters now)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
One of the easiest polls. Option 2, clearly.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
I voted according to an average of our campaigns. Most of our player character have heard of the Loremaster but wouldn't really believe that they still exist. In all of our campaigns we never met one OR never identified one as a loremaster, which by the way is how I see it, it should be. Loremasters are supposed to work in the shadows, teaching, guiding, supporting but not fighting openly - although I see that the last part might be difficult at times.
We had quite frequent appearances of Navigators which are much easier to play and introduce into a game compared to Loremasters, IMHO.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!