Author Topic: Looking for info on the Shadowstone  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Looking for info on the Shadowstone
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm starting a new Jaiman/Emer campaign and I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some more information on the Shadowstone. I know Terry has his novels, but I'm kind of looking for something a bit more concrete in game terms (like stats). I have the Master Atlas-- third or fourth edition, I think--but I don't recall much about it in there or in any of the game books.

Also, does anyone know where the Northern Eye (of Utha) actually is? I know Ondovaal stole it... then I think he lost it? Anyone know where the thing actually is in, say, 6053?

Thanks very much to everyone who can help.

Cheers
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Looking for info on the Shadowstone
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »
Shadowstone info is in the Atlas Addendum that came with Emer. If no one else has it handy I can dig it up.

I would have the Northern Eye deep below Ondoval's citadel in a massive container...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Great, thanks Terry!

That would explain why I don't know much about the Shadowstone-- I don't think I have the addendum for Emer. I have the Master Atlas Addendum, but not the Emer one. If you could dig that one out, that would be fantastic.

So Ondoval didn't misplace the stone? I thought I read somewhere that he had lost it, due to his being insane and all. So he's just guarding it and looking greedily towards it's twin, the southern eye?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
The Shadowstone

Perhaps the mightiest item of Darkness ever to exist on Kulthea, the Shadowstone - also known as Kadaena's Heart and the Dark Jewel - is not subtle in power or appearance. An oval, smoky crystalline stone about three inches long, it is multifaceted, though the pattern is so convoluted that it is either the work of the tortured earth or an insane jeweler. The jewel pulses with an angry red light when its powers are being drawn upon.

It is and always has been set in a vertically encircling band of star iron, and is attached o a heavy chain of the same dull, black material. As with all things fashioned of star iron, the setting and chain have a rough look, as if the vast powers of the Lords of Essaence could barely wrench the metal into the desired form.

But only star iron is worthy of holding the Shadowstone, a jewel of power which goes beyond the Elemental. Legend says that it came from the Pillar of the Gods. Even the Lords of Orhan fear it, for while it has the power to destroy material things, it desires to destroy the spirit.

The wearer of the Shadowstone is able to wrench the very soul from his desired target with only a thought, and so fuel the dark gem's other powers. In fact, the Shadowstone requires souls on which to feed or it will draw energy from whatever is around it, including its owner.

If the wearer of the Shadowstone is killed, his body vaporizes and his spirit enters the Shadowstone. The next being who dons the Shadowstone must then wrest control of it from the former wearer in a battle of wills.

RM Powers
  • Wearer is immune to all Mentalism and Essence spells (though his own spells may function normally). Wearer may also Dispel any active Essence or Mentalism spell within 200' at will (Spell must make a RR vs wearer level at -80). Channeling attacks must make a RR at -80 or be annulled. Wearer may also Dispel any active Channeling spell within 200' at will (Spell must make RR vs wearer level at no mod).

• Wearer may cast Shadows. Effect is of absolute darkness in which only magical light can exist and it must make a RR vs wearer level. Even beings who can see in the dark (Elves, Dwarfs) are blind - except servants of the Wearer, who can see fine. Within Shadows, Wearer can see areas which are dark and things that are invisible. All within Shadows who do not serve the Wearer take one "A" Depression critical an hour, one "C" per day, one "E" per week (10 days). Wearer can cause Shadows to extend in a radius of up to 80 miles from his person, though the effort is taxing (requiring almost constant concentration). The Shadowstone demands hundreds of souls per day to maintain a radius that large.

• Wearer may cast Essaence Thirst at will, range 800'.If Target fails RR (at -80), he is stripped of all PPs (these are permanently added to Wearer's total) and his appropriate Temp. and Potential PP Stat(s) is reduced to 5. Any PP enhancer worn by Target must make a RR or shatter.

• Wearer may case Shadow Ball and Shadow Bolt at will, up to 800' range. (Nether Attack charts, but delivers primary Disruption and Shock, secondary Heat and Cold (as table indicates).)

• Wearer may cast Dark Thirst at will. Spell is similar to Dark Absolution, but range is 800' and RR Mod is -80. The body becomes an empty husk, and though mindless and without skills, it can be ordered about by the Wearer.

• Wearer is cloaked in Shadow. Treat as AT 20 (240) unless opponent is wielding a Holy weapon, then AT 20 (-120). Non-magical weapons are useless and shatter when used. Non-Holy weapons must make a RR vs 10th level or shatter if they hit. In any case, wielder of any non-Holy weapon takes a Shock critical of identical severity to wearer every time he hits.

• Wearer is hasted at will, cannot be stunned (except by Holy weapons). All bleeding wounds heal after one round.

• All within 8 miles of wearer suffer -10 to morale and -5 to RRs and Maneuvers; all within 800' suffer -20 to morale and -10 to RRs and Maneuvers; all within 80' are at -80 to morale and -40 to RRs and Maneuvers.

Note: The Shadowstone may have other powers, and may indeed mold its abilities to suit its current wearer. It is intelligent (though it does not 'speak' or communicate directly) and has a will of its own.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
 If the new owner failes to resist does the soul in the stone force the new owners soul from his body and then get implanted in the new body?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:44:13 AM »
Is the soul of Kadaena currently in the shadowstone ?
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:05 AM »
What I posted is what it says in the Atlas Addendum -- I have no other information regarding it. Perhaps Terry can answer those questions.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
If the new owner fails to resist does the soul in the stone force the new owners soul from his body and then get implanted in the new body?

MDC

It's entirely possible.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
Is the soul of Kadaena currently in the shadowstone ?

Yes, assuming Ondoval won his battle of wills with Kad?na and is now in charge of it. If so, he could actually be using her soul to power the gem. It would have been taxed severely on the Eye assault, so whatever soul(s) are in it would be rather depleted. If transferred to a body their mental stats would be quite low.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
Cool stuff!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
Here, here! Excellent info.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 05:00:14 AM »
Hi, All,

Alternatively, it's also possible that Kad?na won the will-vs-will contest with Ondoval- let's face it, his mind wasn't the same after he came back from the void- whilst Kad?na's mind was still 'fresh'. (Or, as fresh as it's possible having just had someone cut your head off with a large, sharp sword....) :o

Then it was preserved in the Shadowstone, for a brief time before Ondoval rescued it, during it's fall into oblivion from her headless body.

Personally, I'd think that Kad?na would be in the better mental shape, regarding a Will-v-Will, particularly against a deranged Ondoval.

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
So Ondoval didn't misplace the stone? I thought I read somewhere that he had lost it, due to his being insane and all.

I think what you had in mind was Elor Once Dark misplacing the Heart of Agoth.