Author Topic: Palia - some questions  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Palia - some questions
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
I am currently planning a campaign on the continent of Palia. I know the place is pretty much an unturned page when it comes to official background material, and the free hands that gives me is one of the reasons I have chosen it. There is some information on races and geography in the SW Master Atlas, and I have been expanding on that material mostly.

The other day I was flipping trough RM2 Sea Law and much to my surprise there is an entire section "18.0 A Campaign Example" which describes a naval power in northen Palia called the Holtac Empire. It was an interesting read, but the material doesn't seem to fit very well with anything written in the Master Atlas about the same place.
My first question is: Is this section 18.0 in Sea Law compatible with the 'official' Palia in Master Atlas at all, or should I just disregard it?

My second question is: Are there any other books or supplements you can recommend where I might find bits and pieces of reliable information about Palia?
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Palia - some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
Like so many of these spin off that appears in various RM books, unless it bears the "Terry Approved" stamp, it's to be taken with a very long pole.
As such the best way is to just disregard it.

As for sources : Master Atlases as far as I can tell.
There might be some things in Bladestorm, but It's definitely not cannon.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
OK thanks for the answer which was more or less what I expected  :)

I should clarify one thing: The primary reason I don't choose Jaiman or Emer is that these places are already 'taken' by another GM in my group (15+ years of exploring Jaiman)
I want to stay on Kulthea but not interfere with what is going on in Emer/Jaiman.

Master Atlas it is then.
If anyone would like to share experiences with gaming in 'unknown' parts of Kulthea, I would be grateful.

...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »
I did a campaign on Govon ( Star Crown Empire ) for the same reasons as you ( A GM was already busy making us crawl over all Jaiman ).
There's a bit more than Palia ( as there's a whole book about it ), but there's really not much, you have to invent a lot of things, but there's an existing framework that is more important than a few lines in the Master Atlas.

I also toyed with parts of Thuul ( the south ) while the GM above played with Gethrya and the Jan ( so northern Thuul ).

All in all there's not many places beside Jaiman and Emer that are described with more than a few lines in the Master Atlases : Gethrya & The Jan ( NW Thuul ), Govon ( Star Crown Empire ),  Islands of the Oracle and a few other places here and there ( Magic Isle, Tales of the Loremasters, ...)
And you have Folenn, but the description is clearly oriented towards skirmish gaming.
That's more or less all for the officially published products ( canon or not )

If you were lucky to be part of the SW mailing list around Y2K you might have seen some descriptions about the Shinh Archipelago off the Emer Coast, some stuff about centaurs in Muliria, and a few other stuff.
But some of it has been voided by the Master Atlas IV.
*whine about the Punkari*

There's also some informations here and there on the net, but it tends to be mostly Jaiman or Emer centered.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
Parts of Thuul are covered in the Kingdom of the Desert Jewel supplement.
I made some things! Azukail Games