Author Topic: Priests Arnak?  (Read 19515 times)

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Priests Arnak?
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
I suspect it is Walt's musings, no actual reference.
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »

No musings, you can check it in the Nomikos library.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
I had to give the players something, otherwise they would have started killing anyone that looked suspicious.

Thanks Elric, that?s right my point. This will happen if their is any knowledge about undercover priests in your society working for the big dead end of all and everything.

It took them over 30 days, from the border to the Regents fortification. In that time they fought numerous Lugroki, 8(?) more trolls, 2 or 3 giants, ambushed 3 small groups of messengers, [...]

I think we?ve got a similar approach, but playing on a complet different power level. If I?m confronting my group with one troll, they have problems. If they would meet a group of messengers, they would be dead (most probably). And my players are between Lv 15 and 12, 7 players in total (okay, one is only Lv 6)

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

No musings, you can check it in the Nomikos library.

Is this in the timeline?
Or elsewhere?

DonMoody

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
Walt, are you talking about Vroomfogle's website?

Who said they fought all those trolls  ;)

2x8th level Rangers can cause hell to creatures, very fast. Throw in a mage and his apprentice, a few fighters, a warrior monk and his student, and a thief and you have a team that can dole out some mager damage to a single creature, great or small. The healer had a compound bow and stayed at a distance.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
I found it under Elor once Dark, "Elors summary of the Dark Time"
But could be that it?s prohibited in the meantime by the Loremaster council and you can?t access it anymore.
It?s not too good if your benevolent organisation is made responsible for the death tens of thousands of civil casualties. Sorry, wrong section of Nomikos. But for sure you found it in the section "collateral damage" in Karilion Loremaster library. But this section is only accesible by council members.
You know, there was somewhere around 3000 of the Third Era an up to now unsettled assisination of some Nomikos scribes, where also a Changramai Mond died. This was even unexplicable to T?vaar Dekdarion, at this time resident in the Nomikos library. In this context some writtings about the end of the Second Era dissapeared of the shelves of Nomikos.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
I found it under Elor once Dark, "Elors summary of the Dark Time"

I think this was deleted because its source was dubious at best (i.e. it was not canon).

As the sight now states;
"The Shadow World entries contained within this library were nearly all originally written by Terry K. Amthor."

That is, those entries which were not (or which were not accepted by TKA) have been removed.

So this is most likely another 'story' that has no basis in actual Kulthea events.

All of this is based upon the phrase "you can check it in the Nomikos library" being a reference to Vroomfogle's website [Thank You again for the wonderful labour].
If Walt actually meant the "library of Nomikos" (i.e. the actual library on Kulthea) then we all know better (apocryphal at best - like the story of the loremasters destroying Zor when the reality is "The work of the Priests Arnak bears bitter fruit: A supernatural cataclysm destroys the capital of Zor and lays waste to the central region of that kingdom.").

DonMoody
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:39:13 AM by DonMoody »

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »
I heard a rumour that Zor had the largest baked beans a beer festival ever seen on Kulthea. Thousands of feasting individuals stuffing themselves with pork & bean goodness. 12 hours later... it was all gone. It took thousands of years for the vapours to dissipate. People on the edge warn of the strange reactions, mutant children, and nasal pain of living so close to the pungent centre.

And that my friends is why the Priests Arnak in that area wear masks, they are in true fashion gas masks.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »
Ahh, and here comes the great "baked beans and beer" goddess of Zor. Or would it be a god?
Nevertheless, it would be a great starting point for a gods career...but it would need a TKA tattoo to spring into existence?? Hmm, does a god need a legitimation?

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
I wonder if the Goddess goes to her own festivals? And I thing even gods like to hear positive things once and a while.

Gods and my 5 year old, really no difference.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »
Gods and my 5 year old, really no difference.

Sorry mate, can?t agree. At least with your 5 year old you still have the chance he will improve!

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
If my 5 year is anything like me... and it is turning out that way... no improvement  ;D

But I guess it is sort of like the shark... it evolved and didn't need to evolve again, at least all that much. Gods are in a way at the top of evolution and really see no reason to change. So you are correct.

I am so taking their sandbox away!

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »
Does anybody expect that Aeryk, the old fellow, at the end of the Second Era already used the name "Yarthraak". Or did he perhabs use some other cult/name/religion/order???

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »
I would say yes. As long as he plays nice, "The Great Dragon brings you watery blessings!" insert fun loving laughter with a gentle mist of water " He loves his Gentle followers." he will get converts. Most of the people will not remember him anyways, as (the country formerly known as) U-lyshaak had to be rebuilt. Again he would go by a human name, Fred or something less auspicious.

Also, I think he is aggressive enough to peruse a relationship with the Royalty. In contrast to my Orhan followers, Aeryk would manurer to gain their trust. For example, as a general rule, a Orhan Priest would do their work and be invited to Court, where as Aeryk would manipulate circumstances to get there.

If people say "Is that the Religion of Old, that helped to destroy our country!?"

He will lament "Children, I am so sorry, forgiveness will be slow I understand. Dark things took many of our peaceful followers. They did horrible things. Now we must atone, bring hope and strength back to the Peoples of this great land." But I doubt people know what is happening. To them Yaarth is a faith they trust.

In SEI 6201 - with Lorgalis at the helm Aeryk tears U-Lyshaak in two, then turns the lands into a monster stew.

In TEI 6050 - Priest of Yaarth announces that Prince Kier is dead

In TEI 6051 (5/21) - The forces of Yaarth that are routed by Kier with the power of the Helm, is that a Pure Yaarth army or the remnants of Helyssa's forces? I am sure he has is own army hidden in his back pocket, but what happens when you have thousands of trained soldiers? Not all of them can be Loyalist. Or did he replace the entire army with Mercenaries?

Further along, I would say that in the Second and Third era he was part of several cults and groups, and managed secret groups.

When you are immortal and immoral, you can arrange information, redesign education and teach as you see fit. Short lives will have to manage the best they can.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
For the "forces of Yaarth" I used the mainly Helyssian appoach. In our story he took the political power, both sides, slowly overtaking the Council of Cynar and for the public more and more generating the helpful religion image.
So after some time he could safely name himself Regent of Helyssa. The reason was, that Lord Boshkar of Vorn got more and more aggresive, so after some time where the council was incapable of action the Council was quite happy that he took power.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
Part of my current adventure has three story lines. Two lines lead to conclusions and the third leads to Ly-aran. So this will be the first time ever that I have used the West side of Jaiman. (I do have Xa-ar  8)). That is presuming they survive Story Line 2.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
Okay, so let?s exchange information! I?m working a lot in the western region.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »
I love share and hear ideas. Thanks walt

Bare with me, I am just starting to get my info together as my players still have a ways to go. I should still have about 24 games before I have to get really serious about the west. Unless they surprise me and beat the master vampire and Lizard Godling in the next few sessions... BWAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH stupid players.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi, Walt, Elrik, et al,

The Jaiman module states that Helyssa is "...is currently held in regency, controlled by
the Priest of Yarth, a powerful cleric with a growing political following." (Seems strange that it doesn't say "High Priest of Yarth", but there you are.)

I'd be dubious about humans, however, accepting an Elf as head of any 'official' religion in Helyssa. (How would most humans react to a Lugrok as Pope, for instance?) Osaran is specifically mentioned as utilizing some form of magical disguise for his role in the United Church of Orhan, in Rhakhaan. It's possible that Aeryk does something similar- although, it's not mentioned in the Jaiman book. Although, it's remotely possible that he's using a human priest, to gain him the power, of course.

As for introducing himself as the Priest of Yarth (or Yarthraak) when he returned in the Third Era, I doubt it matters. Two years after he originally seized control in 6201 SE, Cynar was virtually destroyed by an Ordainer-led army from the south...
So I doubt that many records survived- beyond word-of-mouth.

Also, I'd imagine, that in keeping with the way that the Priests' Arnak operate, that he infiltrated an existing religion somewhere in the region, and made a name for himself- getting himself initially elevated within the Church ranks, then gradually in the homes of the various Nobles of the Realm, until he finally got himself invited to Court. Where he proved himself useful, time and time again, gradually gaining more and more power, not only for himself, but indirectly for the Church, as well.

I always tried to use the Priests Arnak as sparingly as I used Loremasters- 99.9% of the time, the players weren't even aware of who, or what, they were dealing with- although, occasionally I allowed them some sense that something wasn't quite right with the person(s) they were dealing with. Which usually meant that they then tried to investigate in their own, inimitable style. (e.g.: read "Total disaster.") ::)

As for Yarthraak's forces, Jaiman gives him a standing force of 1,000 Lugroki- and obviously, there will be the Messengers of Gorath (although, they are mentioned as working in groups of no more than 6- and given the Priests Arnak's predilection for the number 6, I suspect that there's no more than 36 of them in total.)
Additionally, it is mentioned that the High Priest's forces joined Lorgalis's- some 220,000 Lugroki strong- strange that Lorgalis's Qauidu forces aren't mentioned in Jaiman...

Helyssa on the other hand only has some 6,800 troops. A levy might well double that number- and you can probably assume that most of them will be loyalists- it's the other realms in U-Lyshak whom I've always assumed would bulk out the High Priests' forces- Lord Boshkar's forces for a start.

One 'advantage' that the High Priest has, despite the fact that he realistically only has a relatively small number of troops, is that his troops are adapted for night-fighting: which is something that normal humans aren't particularly good at. Literally, he can use guerilla tactic's and hit'n'run night-time raids to rapidly weaken and demoralize normal human forces. Add to that the odd Herald of Night/Darkness and his Messengers and Priests, and you'd be surprised how quickly he could whittle away at the Loyalist forces. Particularly, if Lord Boshkar's forces are attacking them during daylight as well...

Hope this helps,

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »
Hi Kevin,

I roughly used the concept you described, the priests of Yarth infiltrating an existing religion. In my case it?s the pretty old Seadrake cult, originating from the end of the Interegum/start of the Second Era.
It?s an old god, worshipped by the coastal tribal people of U-Lyshak. In was integrated in the symbolism of U-Lyshak because it was a major cult in this times, at the beginning even with human sacrifice to please the Great SeaDragon. The cult was forgotten round about ~2000 SE, with the Loremasters more and more teaching the people of Jaiman. Aeryk got hold on the god, capturing him and using his corrupted powers.

For the powers of Lorgalis...I think we must keep in mind that the whole concept of Jaiman was developed over decades and that in consequence there are a lot of inconsistencies in the concept. Probably the idea of Quaidu forces was developed much later.